Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Well this is a first

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Well this is a first

So I got in to this hobby back in 07' and it was by rc crawlers so I didn't start into this hobby like a typical person with the slashes and the emaxxs and all that. Well I just got my very first slash 4x4 and I think it's pretty freaking sweet looking, just need to get a lipo and charger so I can run it. Here are some pics. Feel free to comment and give advice because like I said, not new to crawlers but for short course or "non crawler" lol I am
Attached Images

demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Oh and what are some good sites to find parts? I only know of rpp, rc4wd, and tcs.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

http://www.thetoyz.com/ has a lot of stuff... and RPM of course http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/index.htm

Have fun going fast
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
RCC Addict

What are the key points to watch out for with the slash? And is there different spurs you can get? I know that it has the choice between the 15 or 18 pinion but do they have a smaller one? For like more acceleration?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here is a good place to learn about Slash 4x4s. A good place to get parts is Amainhobbies, Stormerhobbies. First upgrade to get would be a King Headz as it's just a matter of time before the bearing seizes up. When I had my slash 4x4 I ran a 52t center diff 13t set up on a CC Neu-Castle 1410.

Last edited by Wicked Klown; 09-14-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well I finally had the chance to drive it and holy jeebus!!!!!!!!! It's freakishly fast!!!! Sad part was that I broke the front right A arm right after............ Still not use to driving fast with an rc so this will be fun
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Grab a set of RPM a-arms, life time warranty on em. Some AvidRC bearing would be a good upgrade as well over the stock ones.
Wicked Klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Upgraded hinge pins are a must on any Traxxas vehicle once you upgrade the arms. STRC and Lunsford have nice replacements.

Ditto on the bearings. I only got about 6-8 runs out of the wheelbearings on my E-maxx. And only a dozen runs on the trans bearings in my Rustler. Traxxas just can't seem to put decent bearings in these things.

And keep the slipper a little loose unless you really like breaking axleshafts.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Klown View Post
Grab a set of RPM a-arms, life time warranty on em. Some AvidRC bearing would be a good upgrade as well over the stock ones.
Got em lol
Old 09-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Upgraded hinge pins are a must on any Traxxas vehicle once you upgrade the arms. STRC and Lunsford have nice replacements.

Ditto on the bearings. I only got about 6-8 runs out of the wheelbearings on my E-maxx. And only a dozen runs on the trans bearings in my Rustler. Traxxas just can't seem to put decent bearings in these things.

I think my
One Is tightened all the way but I'm not seeing issues as of yet since it's the stock tires and they slide really easily on pavement. Should I still loosen it? Or it that for the ones who have the foam tires and run them on carpet?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

What did you run it it? Salt water, were your rigs used? I'm surprised that they went that fast. that's not normal. I currently have been running some bearings from ebay "mobearings" is the seller and they are lasting just fine. The dust here is as fine as flour and gets into anything. I have about 20+ packs through them right now. My co-worker has a stampede 4x4 and his bearings have lasted for 15 packs now and he runs it in the same fine powder as I do.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
RCC Addict

So here is the specs of my rig:
Velion system
3s 3400mah
Stock spur and pinion( I think)
Stock everything but front A arms, they're rpms.
Here is the thing, the motor I notice is getting hot, I can touch it for about a sec or two before having to let go. Is there a way to keep it cooler? like either lower the pinion or cut the window out for more air?
Advice is welcomed
Old 09-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

So I'm going to get a 12t pinion to keep the temp down, what type of speed am I looking at then? And what is a good spur to get to go with the 12?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Just thought of something, so the velinion system gets hot with 3s and I've been thinking, what if I put in another brushless motor? Would that solve the whole problem? I'm also asking because brushless is new and I don't know shi* about them. What is a good cheap ish brushless motor? What type of kv should I look for?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

So the slash 4x4 section is normally dead on rcshortcourse so I'm asking here. I know about the cows buggy going 80mph but it's not a slash so following doesn't help to much lol so how do you make a slash go about that speed relatively quick? What would be a good body to fit on it for downforce, what kind of spur and pinion combo should I go for and motor/esc? And what's a good size tire and wheel for it?(I know bigger will go faster lol)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

there's a company(the name is escaping me right now) that makes foam tires for the slash, i'd definitely get those for speed runs. drop your ride height til it's as close to the ground as possible. you could even go so far as to get a new uncut shell for it and leave the bottom on the front so it acts like a scoop
ohh EPiC FAiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Does the foams hook up better on pavement? And ya the body is literally only a little shorter than a half inch off the ground.
I know about the foam but can they be bigger than what I've seen?
Old 09-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Anyone else know of a good wheel/tire combo for higher speeds? Or know of any taller foam tires?