Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: HPI Savage Flux HP or Associated SC8E..?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default HPI Savage Flux HP or Associated SC8E..?

Alright guys.. Help me decide!

I got a big side job coming up and ill have some extra scratch to buy myself something nice.

Heres what im looking for:
-Fast & Durable
-Good Aftermarket support
-Qaulity ESC & Motor
-Brushless/Lipo power!
-Ability to take a beating.

Now, I think I narrowed it down to the two vehicles in the title.

The savage flux hp is in my eyes the ultimate bashing machine in monster truck form. Its ready to take a beating right out of the box. But, its big and well, monster trucky.

The SC8E is a really cool and fast 4x4 stadium truck also bad ass right out of the box. I like the fact that this truck is more scale looking than the savage but, its more racey and less of a basher so, the savage is probably tougher.

I dont believe either one is waterproof so, buying a truck like that this close to a mdwest winter is a thought in the back of my head..
I just want to have something fast again. Something all around fun.

What do you guys think? Who has one of these vehicles and can tell me something about on or the other?

What would you do?

Post pics if you got em!

Thanks!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

I still think unless you're going to a track... get the MT.

Ask Chris (thzero) about his go fast rc's.
He has a RC8Te and 3 Savage's.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Status...ADDICTED!

[QUOTE=johnnyh66;3335332]I still think unless you're going to a track... get the MT.

I own both and agree with this statement...actually have the Nitro versions of both trucks as well(Savage XL and SC. Same holds true there. Two different trucks completely. Go with the MT if you want to bash.
ceedawwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Well, I have the HPI Nitro MT that i thought about converting to brushless but, its the MT2 that has all the good parts on it so, I would first have to convert the MT to have the MT2 parts to be able to handle the power.

Is that the MT you were talking about?

I talked with chris a little about that and I think he said he likes the RC8Te best because its more fast & stable than the savage flux so, he usually grabs that before he goes for the savage.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
RCC Addict

...or are you guys saying MT as in monster truck as in.. Savage?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Status...ADDICTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by die-laughing View Post
Well, I have the HPI Nitro MT that i thought about converting to brushless but, its the MT2 that has all the good parts on it so, I would first have to convert the MT to have the MT2 parts to be able to handle the power.

Is that the MT you were talking about?

I talked with chris a little about that and I think he said he likes the RC8Te best because its more fast & stable than the savage flux so, he usually grabs that before he goes for the savage.
MT = Monster Truck...in general
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Status...ADDICTED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by die-laughing View Post
...or are you guys saying MT as in monster truck as in.. Savage?
Yes...
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Scale Detail Engineering

MT as in monster Truck.

I actually thought his RC8Te was to stable
The diff's work so good, it was almost to easy to drive... although he has come close to killing me a few times with it! And he ran over my poor little VMX450 with it
Old 10-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #9
Status...ADDICTED!

Both trucks you are considering are quality RC's and would make you smile...a lot! I just think the Savage would be a much better truck for bashing around. The Associated SC build quality is top of the line but the Savage is more versatile for the basher. Not to say you can't have a ton of fun with the SC8E, it's faaaast, but limited when you start climbing obstacles and such.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I only have two Savages Johnny!!

The SC8 is basically a RC8T (the truggy) chassis with RC8 (the buggy) suspension on it, and of course the SC body. For a basher, the shorter suspension makes it a bit less ideal than either the Savage or the RC8T.

As for a comparison between the Savage or RC8T, hands down the RC8T wins even for a basher. It is just a lot more stable platform both from wider suspension arms and also from a much lower CoG. With the RC8T, you do need to get the conversion kit or go with say rc-monster.com's conversion kit (thats what I run).

The Savage due to its design suffers from higher CoG, and also has a substandard transmission - works well for most nitro engines, but can have issues with higher power brushless motors. The upside is that because its a locked 50/50 split, you can do lots of flips, wheelies, etc. that you can't do with the RC8T (or any truggy) due to the center diff (unless you lock it).

Both are quality trucks, but part support and support are definetly much higher with HPI.

Might want to look at HPI's new Trophy Truggy Flux (::HPI RACING:: - RTR TROPHY TRUGGY FLUX W/ 2.4GHz) as it shares a lot of components with the HotBodies D8T. Has the benefits of the RC8T, but the parts support of HPI.

And yes I usually do grab my RC8T first. If you are gonna be around on Sunday, I can bring them both.
thzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Ola
Rock Stacker

I`ve had a savage flux, and a fully tricked out E-revo, before i went for my RC8T CE with tekno conversion kit.. I run a MMM esc and a castle 1520 1600kv motor (or a 2200kv castle that i also got for it), on 5s lipo`s.

I have never, EVER, seen such a though car before. If put my RC8T through hell and back several times, and it keeps coming back for more with approx NONE parts breaking. No diff issues, no breaking A-arms, no nothing.

Thats alot more than i could say about the MT`s.

And on top of that, the RC8T feels like it`s driven by you, while on the Flux you should be happy if you just got a feeling that it MIGHT be you driving it

The only thing i miss, is those crazy double flips i did on the Flux.. But it did cost me ALOT of money.

I senserely love my RC8T.

And if you think i might be gentle with it, this video shows a typical day of jumping for me (i just bash, never race) I did this jump over and over for 2 full packs that day. And not all went well ;)

RC8T CE brushless jumping - YouTube
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by thzero View Post
If you are gonna be around on Sunday, I can bring them both.
Good man

I guess when I think of bashing I picture much rougher terrain.
Nice jump Ola! I know what you mean by saying "feels like it's driven by you".
It's extremely predictable and goes exactly where you want it to.

Last edited by johnnyh66; 10-19-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Most of the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
It's extremely predictable and goes exactly where you want it to.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You could also go with:

Bullet ST Flux (http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/107008/)

Bullet MT Flux (http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/107010/)

10th scale 4wd trucks, but they are listed by HPI as being waterproof. Both use CastleCreations ESC/motors, so if you have a CastleLink already you can use it with them too.

They're pretty much the same thing, but they are 3 diffs trucks so would be more like an 8th scale truggy in that respect.

Or go really big and do a Losi 5T (http://www.losi.com/Products/Default...=LOSB0019WHTBD) Gas engine won't have issues with the snow, etc. You can then waterproof the receiver, etc.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks everyone.

Well, the Savage is going to be about $600 RTR.

The RC8T is about $500 + Brushless Conversion & Electronics is going to be about another $300-$400 dont you think?

I like the idea of a RTR for a fast basher. The RC8T route seems quite involved. What about the RC8BE? Hmm.. That savage is pretty kick ass but yeah, its a little tall and trucky.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #16

I don't have a RC8T but I can tell you my Flux HP is one hell of a basher! If you start out running it on 4S it will be easier to control.
Supercomputer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

Thread Derail:
Hey Supercomputer5, when you going to join up with the rest of us Chicagoans

Check out the IL sub-section... die-laughing, thzero and a few others will have a gtg this Sunday if you can make it.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Hobbytown in northbrook has the Savage Flux Hp in stock and they will match TowerHobbies price! I might have to check that out tonight
Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
RCC Addict

On second thought.. Screw that. Its $639.99 at tower and the hobby shop. and i have to pay taxes on it at the hobby shop as well as towerhobbies.com because they are in IL.

Im going to wait for now.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #20
Scale Detail Engineering

just buy zero's