Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Min-E-Maxx build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Min-E-Maxx build

Here are some pics i snapped today of my Min-E-Maxx build. it started life as an xl5 rustler then converted to a stampede. Did the Jang wide mod and decided it wasn't wide enough so i converted over to the .15 maxx suspension, drive shafts and axles. I also added an EVX, second battery compartment, new linkages, and 1/8 scale wheels and tires to fit the emaxx axles. Super torquey, handles like a dream and best of all didn't cost me a thing since it was built entirely out of spare parts! The last pic shows the truck with my recently completed 550 powered SC basher

Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Love the rear suspension, how much wider is it than the stock pede/rustler.
Lukescb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

As it sets about three inches. I'll have to measure it to make sure though. (Walks out side to workshop...) it sits at 14.5" with the buggy wheels and tires. Would be wider if i modified a set of 2.8 wheels to fit with the front offset. My mid motored stampede/slash conversion is 11" wide with AKA 17mm adapters and buggy wheels and tires and my 550 powered basher pictured above is 13" with the rear arm mod for the front and front offset wheels all around.

Last edited by Elmo; 11-13-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Min-E-Maxx build

My Titan 775 came in the mail this morning, and i am excited to shoe horn the thing in. It was a little bigger than i expected so i fear i may have to hack on the tranny case a bit. I also ordered a 14t 32p 5mm bore pinion and a 54t 32p jato spur. I cant wait to hook up all four motor leads and punish some tires!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I admit that i have looked at this truck from every conceivable angle and i cannot figure out how to fit the 775 in. Dimensionally there is not enough room to fit it in where the idler and top gear arch backward over the motor. I have removed the motor plate and fabricated an aluminum mount but the motor is too far away from the spur for the two gears to mesh. Has anyone seen this mod done or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance guys!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
cherry bomb

that rear suspension HAS to bind, those rear "trailing" arm will force the arms to move in an arc they are not made to go in, it looks like fun though.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Those are only there to prevent the rear knuckles from rotating since there is only one mounting tab on the upper arm since there was no room for the other two which had to be cut off. It doesn't really bind up though. The truck is a blast to drive being so wide and short, will wheelie for as long as you hold the throttle open.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
that rear suspension HAS to bind, those rear "trailing" arm will force the arms to move in an arc they are not made to go in, it looks like fun though.
Maybe not as much as you would think. That trailing arm moves on more than one plain- vertically and horizontally. As the suspension compresses, those arms follow their own arc. The end of the trailing arm on the suspension arm moves away from the centerline of the chassis, which would help with any binding. Chances are the suspension does bind a bit, but it may be such a small amount that it's unnoticeable.
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #9
cherry bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Those are only there to prevent the rear knuckles from rotating since there is only one mounting tab on the upper arm since there was no room for the other two which had to be cut off. It doesn't really bind up though. The truck is a blast to drive being so wide and short, will wheelie for as long as you hold the throttle open.
I see it now, very clever, good use of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus.:God View Post
Maybe not as much as you would think. That trailing arm moves on more than one plain- vertically and horizontally. As the suspension compresses, those arms follow their own arc. The end of the trailing arm on the suspension arm moves away from the centerline of the chassis, which would help with any binding. Chances are the suspension does bind a bit, but it may be such a small amount that it's unnoticeable.
its cleared up, its a very interesting way to use the parts he had on hand.

request for body off pics and the rear arms from above would be awesome.
fred0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I guess it was just dumb luck that it works as well as it does! I was simply trying to eliminate the rotation of the knuckle and this was the simplest way of doing it. I am going to have to order another tranny case if i cannot figure out how to get the 775 to fit and just go back to the titan 550. I didn't realize that the 775 was going to be as big as it is. Does anyone make an aftermarket case or motor plate to mount this behemoth?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just out of curiosity, what made you choose a 775 size motor rather than just going with a hotter 540/550, or even brushless?
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well i wanted to go with something bigger to go with the theme. I have an HV Maxx brushless system in my stampede based trophy truck (was in my Emaxx) but i didn't want to use it. Was really happy with the maxx's titan so i thought that the 775 was the next progression.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

have you tried to mount a exterior idler? inbetween the spur and pinion.... ill try and find the build i saw it from, you could use a vxl idler or any other idler, with bearings. may need to drill a hole, screw through the case, stand off, mount the idler, screw with a shim, and run it.

for the 32p, you could try a wheely king idle, shoe horn the tranny some how, or mount a emaxx, 3906? (older 2peed) in there some how, and gear like crazy, with 2 speeds!

Last edited by Hvrc; 02-11-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

It's funny that you should mention that. I have toyed with the idea of using the Emaxx transmission mounted sideways and having a two speed with two titans but i don't see it being possible with the transmission and bulkhead being one unit on the magnum 272 tranny. I want to keep the stock trans in there, but i may do the idler gear like you suggested and reverse the polarity of the 775. Is that timing set at 0 degrees so that i don't hurt anything wiring it backward? (I assume that it is since it runs the same in reverse as it does forward when being used in the summit.)
Old 02-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

timing is 0* i believe, though it should run faster, your brushes will also wear out faster.
it runs faster because the reverse rotation causes the brushes to grab the comm more. idk why or how it does this, but we used to use ball point pen springs in our radons and checkpoint motors to make them hotter.

still cant find the build thread.... from what i remember it was a rustler with a monster set up, then the guy just got a massive pinion on there, with a huge spur
Hvrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think i know the build that you're talking about. If i can mount the idler solidly enough to withstand the torque I think that may be the solution to my conundrum. Next up is to invest in some more 5mm bore 32p pinions. Anyone know of the part # needed for the slipper pads for a Traxxas torque control slipper? I lost one of the three when i tore the truck down for the new motor. Thanks in advance!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:00 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Was going to go out to the shop to check if i still had the gears from my Tmaxx FOC and take some boxes to the recycling bin and noticed this:

Normally this door is locked since everything i have hobby and tool wise is inside. This is a schlage lock set that i thought was pretty secure. Grabbed the camera and the cordless phone and me and the wife opened the door and this was what awaited us:
The trash has been messed with on several occasions before so i made a locking storage box for it and keep padlocks on all of the other buildings, seems that someone is trying to find drugs since i am diabetic and use needles for my insulin injections. I keep all of my needles in a sharps container though and it never goes in the trash. They went through the trash and left it in this disarray. Unfortunately they didn't walk in front of the security camera, looks like the came through the woods behind the shop. Worst part is they took my Emaxx (that i had nearly $3.000 invested in, had very few stock parts on it) and my rc18t as well. They didn't however get the transmitters or charger. The Emaxx had two batteries in it (unhooked of course, waiting for a snow run) but the RC18T didn't have its lipo (it lives in a charge sack in the house where its warmer). I'm out over three grand, but at least i wasn't in the shop when it happened and I'm safe. The police said that there was an increase in break-ins in my neighborhood (which is mostly old people, retirees, and families) and even in the gated community near us as well. May have to postpone the projects for a little while till i get this mess straightened out.