Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Wanting to build a quadcopter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Cool Wanting to build a quadcopter

I've been wanting to build a quadcopter for a while now, and have really began to research the parts needed to put one together. I'm trying to go pretty cheap since this will be my first flying RC (aside from my cheap non hobby-grade 3 channel micro heli), and have began pricing up frames, ESCs, motors, control boards, and everything, and hobbyking seems to have good entry level low priced stuff and I had been putting a list together from parts on their website, including one of their cheap RX/TX combos.

But browsing eBay on a whim earlier, I just stumbled on this. Pretty much everything I'll need to get started, minus the RX/TX and some batteries.

Any comments on this little setup? I realize it's just a whole-sale listing and it's coming from China But does anyone in the hobby think this would be a decent entry into quadcopters? Again, I'm not looking for the best money can by, just something to get started with and really learn about these things.

Thanks
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wanting to build a quadcopter

Hard to beat for the price, but you'll need some small camera gear. It's not going to lift a whole lot with those 9x5 props.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i got a thread going on this subject...

1st step into quadheli's and F.P.V.

and thats the exact one i have bought to practice with.

the vc 450 will be my main fpv quad heli..

Last edited by ROLANDROCKSHOP; 02-28-2012 at 04:58 AM.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Check out the Eflite mqx, it comes RTF with charger and battery for $150. I got one last week, and it is my first ever flying rc. I am getting the hang of it quick...

Here is a video...still learning, I have about 4 packs thru it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9hx...e_gdata_player
Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

yes,id highly recommend you get a mqx quadheli to get used to flying.
and you can fly inddors with it on rainy days as well.

ive had mine for a lil over a month now and just broke an arm on it..

if you can fly it,you should be able to fly the big one.
ROLANDROCKSHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was highly considering the MQX actually, because I saw one in the local hobby shop and that's actually what got me seriously interested in a quadcopter. I watched a bunch of videos and read a bunch of reviews on them and they do seem like really great little machines. But I want something larger. That's my only complaint about my mini coaxial heli; it's fun and easy to fly, it's just too small.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

imo since you have only flown a none hobby grade heli maybe you should try out a hobby grade heli first just to learn a little or get a sim. if you just want a quad copter just to fly around and not for fpv try out the mqx. its cheap and cheap to fix IF you break anything. the mqx is really nice but still not for someone new but at least you can try and learn off it.
some87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

where you been hiding super lol but yea ive been really interested in building and flying one especially the fpv and yea like everyone else picked up the mini copter to play with while i compile lots of money and parts lol
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've been around cameraman; sold my scaler so haven't been to any meets in Orlando lately. gotten more into some fast cars; a Slash 4x4 and just finished putting together a big block Mini E-Revo

I really have no immediate plans to use it as a fpv camera shooting rig, more or less just something to play with. I'm not all too concerned about not being able to fly it indoors. that's kind of why I want a larger one anyway, so it's more stable and easier to fly outdoors

but what I may do is get a sim and mess around with it. I have an extra XBox 360 controller that I could plug into my PC that might work pretty good to at least get a feel for the controls
Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
RJS

Having been into multi's for awhile I would have to say the best beginner solution is the DJI Naza kit. Everything you need except tx/rx and battery and you cant been the stability and it has the best altitude hold of any non gps multi I have ever seen. It supports quad x quad + hexa, y, y6. Probly my most fun quad and great FPV platform
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

come out to the drift session with the fast toys just to goof off
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
Having been into multi's for awhile I would have to say the best beginner solution is the DJI Naza kit. Everything you need except tx/rx and battery and you cant been the stability and it has the best altitude hold of any non gps multi I have ever seen. It supports quad x quad + hexa, y, y6. Probly my most fun quad and great FPV platform
that's getting a little away from the "cheap" side I don't doubt it's good stuff though

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
come out to the drift session with the fast toys just to goof off
next time I'm down there I'll bring my Slash and Mini along and see if there's anything going on.

the Slash isn't much for drifting or bashing; it's pretty much stock but does pretty good on the local track

the big block MERV on the other hand is just an all out BEAST and a BLAST to drive no matter the conditions

Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
RJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder View Post
that's getting a little away from the "cheap" side I don't doubt it's good stuff though

Ya it comes out about $500 + rx/tx and lipo
Old 03-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

well, I just made my first splurge with this to get it underway

just bought a slightly used DX6i and receiver off eBay for a KILLER deal if I say so myself. I figure if I do get really into aircraft, I'll at least have a good radio that I can use with multiple models

plus it'll be GREAT to use with Phoenix RC simulator. I found an emulator that let's me use a Windows installed joystick, but the XBox 360 controller is HORRIBLE... has no center dead zone at all, and with no way to adjust it or give some dead zone play room, any aircraft just drifts in any random direction without even touching the controls...

plus, using the actual radio for the simulator that I'll be using on the actual models will give me a good TRUE feeling of the controls
Old 03-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You should sell the DX6i, it is not a quality radio, and has had brownout issues as well as severely poor range. I would advise you to visit RCGroups.com: The ABCs of Radio Control - Aircraft, Boats, and Cars! and have a peek in the multirotor section before you waste money on trash.

Quote:
well, I just made my first splurge with this to get it underway

just bought a slightly used DX6i and receiver off eBay for a KILLER deal if I say so myself. I figure if I do get really into aircraft, I'll at least have a good radio that I can use with multiple models

plus it'll be GREAT to use with Phoenix RC simulator. I found an emulator that let's me use a Windows installed joystick, but the XBox 360 controller is HORRIBLE... has no center dead zone at all, and with no way to adjust it or give some dead zone play room, any aircraft just drifts in any random direction without even touching the controls...

plus, using the actual radio for the simulator that I'll be using on the actual models will give me a good TRUE feeling of the controls
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

as long is it's as good of quality as my DX2s, I don't think there will be any problems

I have a hard time believing it's a crap quality radio when so many people use them on their EXPENSIVE models, much less cheap ones
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Define EXPENSIVE. DX6i is a parkflyer radio, it barely has LOS range, and is know to have brownouts. Any seasoned flyer will not have a DX6i controlling anything more than a 20 dollar foam plane.

Please don't take my word for it, research for yourself or to be honest take the chance and bury your quad-copter for all I care.

You could have had a great quality 9 channel radio with 4km range for less than 200 dollars.

Quote:
as long is it's as good of quality as my DX2s, I don't think there will be any problems

I have a hard time believing it's a crap quality radio when so many people use them on their EXPENSIVE models, much less cheap ones
rnpnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

why do I need to fly 4 km away from me? lol
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #19
RJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnpnick View Post
Define EXPENSIVE. DX6i is a parkflyer radio, it barely has LOS range, and is know to have brownouts. Any seasoned flyer will not have a DX6i controlling anything more than a 20 dollar foam plane.

Please don't take my word for it, research for yourself or to be honest take the chance and bury your quad-copter for all I care.

You could have had a great quality 9 channel radio with 4km range for less than 200 dollars.
Big time wrong info. The dx61 is a full range radio not a parkflyer (now of course it depends on the rx) In my club and alot of comps I been to the dx6i is the most used radio for everything from the mcpx to 600 class and up heli's along with edf's and other planes/jetas well as everything from eflits little quad right up to $1000+ octo's and such. Now I firmly believe you should get the most radio you can afford, the dx6i will do everything you want to do that has 6 channels or less. As for the 4km range that only applies to LOS if you really want range you need to go FM cause 2.4 is horrible with anything in its way and any type of distance.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I'm actually reconsidering the MQX again as a starter. Since the Spektrum TX is on it's way, a bind and fly model would be a decent start.

It wont be for another 2 weeks or so though; have bills to pay unless I sell some of my useless junk; god knows I've got plenty of it laying around

Wanting to build a quadcopter - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nano swarm quadcopter robots jammin311 Chit Chat 10 02-01-2012 07:40 PM
Wanting to build my own lcc xThexFearedx Team Losi Comp Crawler 0 04-18-2010 11:26 PM
Wanting to build a Super, but I'm lost! Shockem Newbie General 4 11-06-2009 09:36 PM
wanting to try another tuber build iceman320 General Crawlers 8 03-29-2009 06:22 PM
wanting to build a clod PONYBOY87LX Tamiya Clod Buster 5 01-25-2008 11:52 AM