Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Locked Slash with MIP X-Duty Durability?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Locked Slash with MIP X-Duty Durability?

I JB welded the diff last night on my Slash VXL and got a chance to run it today. 5 minutes into my first pack I wrecked one of the shafts (figured this would happen), so I ordered some MIP X-Duty's... Only thing is, while everyone talks about how great these shafts are, I have very limited experience with them and don't know their limits (have a set for my SCX10 but they sent me 3 correct cross pins, and 1 wrong pin so I've shelved it for now after it started to come apart). Should I just buy another diff and fill it with heavy weight grease/silicone or just take my chances on busting a 50 dollar set of shafts?
Zeus.:God is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Locked Slash with MIP X-Duty Durability?

Maybe on asphalt you could wear them out, snap a pin, or break an outdrive. I have a set and they are beef. I think as long as yo keep the pavement to a minimum you shouldnt have any problems. I distroyed my stock shafts when i slapped on some 4.75" tires on.
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybin View Post
Maybe on asphalt you could wear them out, snap a pin, or break an outdrive. I have a set and they are beef. I think as long as yo keep the pavement to a minimum you shouldnt have any problems. I distroyed my stock shafts when i slapped on some 4.75" tires on.
I'm running 2.2 Masher 2000's right now, got a set of 2.2 Badlands on the way. Maybe I should just play it safe, but I'm sick of the diff unloading to the inside tire.

Also, what the Hell is up with companies and set screws? The truck came with through pins, why are set screws that jam into the hole a good solution to a superior design?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

How about diff locking grease such as Bad Horsie and the Ofna stuff? I'm now looking for something that will give me the performance of a spool but not shock load the drive line as bad as one- something that will give just a little when things get rough.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I just use plain old wheel-bearing grease. Nothing fancy. As long as your set-ups decent the un-loadings not a problem. Mine rarely inside unloads.
ridepate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepate View Post
I just use plain old wheel-bearing grease. Nothing fancy. As long as your set-ups decent the un-loadings not a problem. Mine rarely inside unloads.
Its more of a basher so no racing setup... That said, I've been using my tub of moly all purpose (bearing grease)... Doesn't do that well for me, even packed. I've stiffened up the rear end and adjusted ride height, as well as the front, to no avail. Running 2.2 Mashers so far, just got some 2.2 Badlands, so that may help... Then again, I've already ordered some Bad Horsie diff lock grease and gonna pick up another diff so we'll see how that goes.

Locked Slash with MIP X-Duty Durability? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
has anyone locked the diff in their slash? dieselfuel Non Crawler RC's 15 10-14-2008 09:36 PM
Axial AX10 Locked Axle Set and Locked Transmission Xtant3150c General Crawlers 13 07-22-2007 01:39 PM