Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #1

Post The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help

Hello, im new to fourms and new to these RC's. im purchasing the yokomo 1:10 scale B324R as a starter; i went into deep search and i found that you can do a lot with these RC's so i want to make the RC counter steer and have all these LEDs. but first i need to find out these all are. some are self explanatory.

the list concludes that these are not included

Radio -
1 X (2ch) Transmitter Receiver -
1 X (2ch) Receiver Servo -
1 X Steering Servo (Standard Size) Battery -
7.2v Sub-C or 7.4V Li-Po Charger -
1 X Battery Charger TX Battery -
8 X 2AA battery Parts -
Spare Parts Tools -
Tools Instant Cement -
Tires Glue Paint -
Sorry!Out of stock!!! ESC -
Brush/Brushless ESC Motor -
Brush/Brushless Motor Hop Ups Parts -
Hop Ups Parts for MR-4TC
could some please explain to me what i need and how it all works? thanks. and oh yea, for the countersteer i found that the "Yokomo FCD 2.0" works great but i see so many different parts so im confused on what i need, the axle, or the gear, or both or does it come with it. this is the one im looking at Yokomo FCD Solid Axle Set Rear 2.0 (D-051) [D-051] - €24,96 : Race & Drift Japan
thanks in advance, cheers!
OfflinePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help

Check out the drifting or touring forums. Maybe you should buy a used one first or one thats ready to run (RTR) perhaps?
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

Default Re: The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdady View Post
Check out the drifting or touring forums. Maybe you should buy a used one first or one thats ready to run (RTR) perhaps?
well i went to some hobby shop today and the guy told me what i needed from that list and explains to me a little bit of what they all do. he also told me that i have to put all the parts together cause the product i bought only came with everything but this list

2 Channel Radio
Receiver
Motor
ESC
Servo
Charger
Sub-C Type 7.2V Battery (6 Cell) Stick Pack & Side-by-Side Pack Compatible

and could you explain what the receiver esc and servo does? thanks
Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #4

and also what is brush and brushless ESC/Motor?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfflinePlayer View Post
well i went to some hobby shop today and the guy told me what i needed from that list and explains to me a little bit of what they all do. he also told me that i have to put all the parts together cause the product i bought only came with everything but this list

2 Channel Radio
Receiver
Motor
ESC
Servo
Charger
Sub-C Type 7.2V Battery (6 Cell) Stick Pack & Side-by-Side Pack Compatible

and could you explain what the receiver esc and servo does? thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfflinePlayer View Post
and also what is brush and brushless ESC/Motor?

I am sure I will miss a LOT of important facts for your answers and hopefully not be incorrect with anything I say.... But here is a "Reader's Digest" quick answers to some of your questions.
If I am incorrect with anything I say below, I hope someone corrects me so you are not misinformed.

An ESC is what electronically controls the speed and potentially the dynamic braking of your RC. Basically, it takes your electronic signal and controls the mechanicals.

-----The TX is your transmitter (the controller that you hold in your hand)
-----The RX is the receiver (catches your transmitted signal from the TX)
The RX is where everything plugs in..... Kinda the brain of your rig so to speak. Catches the signal and separates things off to each item plugged in... --ESC, Servo/servos, dig servo, lights, winch etc...
-----A Servo is what controls your steering, dig, some winches etc...
Basically a servo is a small device consisting of
* Mechanicals (the gears from motor to final output)
* The motor (which provides power to the output arm through the mechanicals)
* The feedback pot ( Which allows the servo to determine the location of the arm in relation to the TX)
* The amplifier ( which basically connects everything together and makes things work)
* And of course you can option which servo you use by the gears... Plastic, nylon, brass, steel, aluminum....
* and to confuse you more... You have the option of using an Analog, Digital, Coreless or Brushless servo

Then if you want Brushless or Brushed motors.......
----Brushed basically has 2 rotating wire coils (armatures) spinning in the center of 2 permanent outer magnets
----Brushless basically has 3 fixed position outer coils with a permanent external magnet rotor

Brushed motors are not picky about their environment and operate in extreme environments.
They are low cost to construct, so in turn are low cost to purchase
Easily rebuildable
But....
Require regular maintenance
Do not dissipate heat very well
Not the best for high speeds

Brushless motors are a bit picky about moisture and sand
They are a bit more complicated which relates in the costs
Fairly maintenance free
Compact in size with comparison to power
Heat dissipation at more efficient rate because windings are directly connected to outer case
But.....
More expensive
Control for motor is more complex then brushed which can sometimes cause the ESC to be twice the price of the motor.

THX_138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138 View Post
I am sure I will miss a LOT of important facts for your answers and hopefully not be incorrect with anything I say.... But here is a "Reader's Digest" quick answers to some of your questions.
If I am incorrect with anything I say below, I hope someone corrects me so you are not misinformed.

An ESC is what electronically controls the speed and potentially the dynamic braking of your RC. Basically, it takes your electronic signal and controls the mechanicals.

The RX is where everything plugs in..... Kinda the brain of your rig so to speak. Catches the signal and separates things off to each item plugged in... --ESC, Servo/servos, dig servo, lights, winch etc...
* The feedback pot ( Which allows the servo to determine the location of the arm in relation to the TX)
* The amplifier ( which basically connects everything together and makes things work)
* And of course you can option which servo you use by the gears... Plastic, nylon, brass, steel, aluminum....
* and to confuse you more... You have the option of using an Analog, Digital, Coreless or Brushless servo

----Brushed basically has 2 rotating wire coils (armatures) spinning in the center of 2 permanent outer magnets
----Brushless basically has 3 fixed position outer coils with a permanent external magnet rotor

Brushed motors are not picky about their environment and operate in extreme environments.
Easily rebuildable
But....

Fairly maintenance free
Heat dissipation at more efficient rate because windings are directly connected to outer case
But.....
More expensive
Control for motor is more complex then brushed which can sometimes cause the ESC to be twice the price of the motor.

okay, thanks, gave me some what of an understanding, now i have a few more about this.

my chassis is still in the process of being brought over seas. now that i re look at the parts i have right now i have a few questions about them.

http://i1055.photobucket.com/albums/...C/P1090534.jpg

-at the top left, i have 2 servos, do i need 2? and what are the fan blades?
-bottom left its a 27MHz AM RECEIVER is 27mhz good or bad? and it has 3 slots, battery, ST and TH, whats the ST and TH for/stand for?
-then i have no clue what the battery slot thing is, it seems to have an on and off switch.
-then on the right thats the ESC it says its a 1 time setup, like when everything is ready i just press that button above the sticker and it activates im assuming and will only have 1 shot at it. it also says "Tazer 12T FORWARD | REVERSE" on it. i also noticed when i look at countersteer which i plan to get next, theres "#T" on it as well. does it mean that i can only choose ones with the matching turns? i plan to get the yokomo FCD 2.0 CS if you could help me with that as well, id be appreciated.
and lastly the motor, do i remove that black tubing or is it suppose to be like that? thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:

Easily rebuildable
But....

Fairly maintenance free
But.....
More expensive

Quote:

Easily rebuildable
But....

Fairly maintenance free
But.....
More expensive

okay, thanks, gave me some what of an understanding, now i have a few more about this.

my chassis is still in the process of being brought over seas. now that i re look at the parts i have right now i have a few questions about them.

-bottom left its a 27MHz AM RECEIVER is 27mhz good or bad? and it has 3 slots, battery, ST and TH, whats the ST and TH for/stand for?
-then i have no clue what the battery slot thing is, it seems to have an on and off switch.
-then on the right thats the ESC it says its a 1 time setup, like when everything is ready i just press that button above the sticker and it activates im assuming and will only have 1 shot at it. it also says "Tazer 12T FORWARD | REVERSE" on it. i also noticed when i look at countersteer which i plan to get next, theres "#T" on it as well. does it mean that i can only choose ones with the matching turns? i plan to get the yokomo FCD 2.0 CS if you could help me with that as well, id be appreciated.
and lastly the motor, do i remove that black tubing or is it suppose to be like that? thanks!
Old 07-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #8

Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
www.ottsix.com

...I gave you a link for a great drifting forum, I don't understand why you're not asking for help over there. I could see that if you were a long time crawler and were looking into drifting, you might post up some questions here...but being completely new and doing this makes no sense.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawl-o-matic View Post
...I gave you a link for a great drifting forum, I don't understand why you're not asking for help over there. I could see that if you were a long time crawler and were looking into drifting, you might post up some questions here...but being completely new and doing this makes no sense.
I did on both sites.. Just trying to get as mug help as possible.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #11

Quote:

-----The RX is the receiver (catches your transmitted signal from th

e TX)

Easily rebuildable
But....

Fairly maintenance free
But.....
More expensive

at the top left, i have 2 servos, do i need 2?
bottom left its a 27MHz AM RECEIVER is 27mhz good or bad? and it has 3 slots, battery, ST and TH, whats the ST and TH for/stand for?
then i have no clue what the battery slot thing is, it seems to have an on and off switch.
then on the right thats the ESC it says its a 1 time setup, like when everything is ready i just press that button above the sticker and it activates im assuming and will only have 1 shot at it. it also says "Tazer 12T FORWARD | REVERSE" on it. i also noticed when i look at countersteer which i plan to get next, theres "#T" on it as well. does it mean that i can only choose ones with the matching turns? i plan to get the yokomo FCD 2.0 CS if you could help me with that as well, id be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Why don't you just try searching the net and reading. All of your questions have been answered at one point or another. Plus this is a crawling site not a drifting site. Not trying to give you a hard time buddy just pointing it out.
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfflinePlayer;3845393
at the top left, i have 2 servos, do i need 2?[COLOR=Red
no you need 1[/COLOR]
bottom left its a 27MHz AM RECEIVER is 27mhz good or bad? its not the best and it has 3 slots, battery, ST and TH, whats the ST and TH for/stand for?st=steering th=throttle
then i have no clue what the battery slot thing is, it seems to have an on and off switch. thats for the old rotary style speed controlers that needed an external battery for the servos with a esc you dont need it
then on the right thats the ESC it says its a 1 time setup, like when everything is ready i just press that button above the sticker and it activates im assuming and will only have 1 shot at it. it also says "Tazer 12T FORWARD | REVERSE" on it. i also noticed when i look at countersteer which i plan to get next, theres "#T" on it as well. does it mean that i can only choose ones with the matching turns? no clue we crawl here not drift i plan to get the yokomo FCD 2.0 CS if you could help me with that as well, id be appreciated.
and lastly the motor, do i remove that black tubing or is it suppose to be like that? thanks! yes its a shaft condom no take it off
does that help
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakofnature View Post
does that help
thanks, and it does a lot, appreciate it
Old 07-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleFreak93 View Post
Why don't you just try searching the net and reading. All of your questions have been answered at one point or another. Plus this is a crawling site not a drifting site. Not trying to give you a hard time buddy just pointing it out.
i have and i tried, not that good of a luck and i am trying drifting fourms, thanks though; if you can or ecounter any results or explanations id like that
Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

does that help<-------sarcasm like they said this is mainly a crawling forum not a drift forum. check out rctech.net they have a on road section and so does hobbytalk.com
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakofnature View Post
does that help<-------sarcasm like they said this is mainly a crawling forum not a drift forum. check out rctech.net they have a on road section and so does hobbytalk.com
You, sarcastic???!!!!!!.....Noooooo, say it ain't so.........

OfflinePlayer, reading the manuls that come with some of the parts is a great 1st step. If you don't have manuals, look them up on the Internet, then read them.

Here is the spec page with links to the manuals for the Tazer.... Tazer 12T Forward/Reverse ESC | Horizon Hobby

My quick look shows:

12T is the lowest # of turns on the motor, this is high speed, a higher turn motor (like a 27T) is slower but works. Don't use an 11T motor, you may fry the ESC.
I would also suggest going to a 2 cell LiPO which will have the ~same voltage as a NiCD or NiMH sub-c battery pack.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
You, sarcastic???!!!!!!.....Noooooo, say it ain't so.........

OfflinePlayer, reading the manuls that come with some of the parts is a great 1st step. If you don't have manuals, look them up on the Internet, then read them.

Here is the spec page with links to the manuals for the Tazer.... Tazer 12T Forward/Reverse ESC | Horizon Hobby

My quick look shows:

12T is the lowest # of turns on the motor, this is high speed, a higher turn motor (like a 27T) is slower but works. Don't use an 11T motor, you may fry the ESC.
I would also suggest going to a 2 cell LiPO which will have the ~same voltage as a NiCD or NiMH sub-c battery pack.
-sadly, non came with instructions. :(
-so youre telling me 12 turns is fast? i thought the higher the faster :S
-and as for the battery, what i got was a 7.2v NiMH 2200, idk is that what i need or not but the man who sold it to me said thats it; how long does this battery last me for a single charge? i do remember having an RC once with a similar battery, it was a 7.2v NiCd and i believe its 6 cells as well; it takes about 7 hours to charge with only 15 minutes of battery life, so im pretty scared this battery will either do the same or less. i paided 35 dollars for that NiMH one. and as for the product, under the require parts it stated 7.2v Sub-C or 7.4V Li-Po could you explain the difference? and i have a feeling the 7.4v one is better. thanks!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Proverbial threadkiller

Given how little knowledge you have, and LiPo's propensity for catching fire if over-drained or incorrectly charged, I really think you should stay with NiMhs or NiCads for a while. And when you decide on a charger, make sure it's a peak charger, avoid the ones with a 15 minute timer that you turn to set.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
PapaGriz Yo

Moved to Non-Crawlers.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rc drift beginner

The Person with lots of questions because im new to all of this. Please help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lots of questions (been 20 years) majesty9917 Tamiya Clod Buster 13 04-02-2012 03:51 PM
lots of electronic questions tigman250 Electronics 15 09-15-2010 07:05 AM
I am RC dumb! Lots of questions! wranglercheroke Newbie General 7 07-16-2009 12:57 AM
newbie lots of questions needs answers veewee25 General Crawlers 9 07-03-2007 07:33 PM
hmmmm......... lots a questions jmangone23 General Crawlers 5 08-21-2004 12:04 AM