Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: crt5 Exo clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Suck it up!

Arrow crt5 Exo clone

I decided to start my winter build a bit early. Again.

Anywho, I started with a Jammin CRT.5 Pro roller kit and cut an extended chassis plate for it. Wheelbase is now 12.5". The plan is to build an Exo style buggy. Why not just buy an Exo? A couple reasons...one is that I had most of the expensive stuff already (electronics), another is that I've been beating the ever lovin' crap out of a CRT.5 ($100 shipped!) that I did a brushless conversion on for a couple months now and it has been bulletproof minus one lost screw in the front knuckle. The drivetrain is super beefy and should handle just about any motor I throw at it. Lastly, I've got the need to build something.

Here's a size reference. CRT.5 on the left, Exo clone in the middle, SC10 on the right.

The chassis plate is T6. I machined a shorter front shock tower, and did a little hacking on the rear tower as well. I'll more than likely cut a new one later on.

Once I get the cage worked out I'll do some more shaping to make it pretty.

I ditched the front upper a-arms in favor of some more solid straight links. I'll replace those with turnbuckles at some point. IIRC the stock arms are the only real weak point on these things.

Leftovers!

Time to start some doodling and draw out some cage work.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 10-01-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: crt5 Exo clone

That Chassis looks beefy but plastic braces are more for looks than function so if Your going to beat the Cr@p out of that buggy make a top plate to be on a safe side. If You can find Bart's Parts SCRT-10 aluminium front arms they're well worth the price.
CheapTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
Suck it up!

I plan on making a top brace to help tie it all together. I'm not a fan of aluminum arms....had too many bad experiences with my old Tmaxx. Plastic is fantastic. Having said that, I've got something special in mind for the rear arms IF I can pull it off.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Woohoo! I didn't screw up! Much!

I didn't like that the shocks would be behind the axle and the rear shock tower had to be so tall. I could have taken the easy route and made a little bracket to move them forward, but I thought I could do better than that, so I spent the better part of the day making these...

Still not quite done yet...need to find the proper drill for the pins, clean a few spots up, and round some corners off, but I think they'll do the trick.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Niiice !
I've never broken a front arm on my SCRT's, I had an impression that rear arms break if i don't use captured hinge pins with uprights but I've only snapped one from where the swaybar attaches, still got captured pins for my basher.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Suck it up!

I've managed to make a little progress. I also tore apart a friends scrt to test fit the center dogbones, which do fit, so I'll have to add them to my list of parts to pick up.

I also found out that I could buy an entire SCRT roller, factory fresh, for about $100 and had all of the parts I still need to buy for this CRT5. Poo.

Anyway, got the arms on, though they still need a bit of finish work, and got the new rear shock tower on as well. It too needs more fleshing out and finish work, but I'll save that until I'm done with the cage, which I gathered materials for today while I was out running errands.

I also learned that you should not try to cut hard anodized parts with a bandsaw. For my efforts, I was rewarded with a small shower of sparks as the anodizing ground all of the teeth from the blade.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Rear end looks SOLID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I also found out that I could buy an entire SCRT roller, factory fresh, for about $100 and had all of the parts I still need to buy for this CRT5. Poo.
Is that a Shop deal ? That's great source for spareparts, chassis plate and diffs alone make more than that !
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapTwin View Post
Rear end looks SOLID

Is that a Shop deal ? That's great source for spareparts, chassis plate and diffs alone make more than that !
I think that was either from Ofna Warehouse of their ebay store, not sure which. Somewhere I saw a bunch in stock for $100 + shipping.

And yeah, its awesome for spare parts.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yes, that is from the warehouse. Everything is the same as the CRT.5 but the chassis and center shafts.
Are you still using the dish wheels on your CRT? I'm searching for something better looking. Something that won't look huge on that short chassis. Or just spend $40 and get the SCRT chassis and shafts.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
Yes, that is from the warehouse. Everything is the same as the CRT.5 but the chassis and center shafts.
Are you still using the dish wheels on your CRT? I'm searching for something better looking. Something that won't look huge on that short chassis. Or just spend $40 and get the SCRT chassis and shafts.
The new chassis I cut is 1/4" shorter than the SCRT. The dog bones just barely fit.

This rig will get sc wheels and tires. The dish wheels are sitting in a box. The other CRT5 that I bash runs 2.2 wheels and buggy tires. Bigger than stock but not goofy looking.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
RCC Addict

looks really good! i bet i know what ESC is going in that! also, does anyone have a link to that scrt deal?
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
i bet i know what ESC is going in that!
Well yeah, I'd be in trouble if I didn't.

I've finally made it to the fun part of the build....tubework!

I decided to try something different this time around to keep things as clean and neat as possible. Basically I brazed in some solid 1/8" rod into the brake line, then drilled and tapped it for 3mm screws. Now all of my uprights bolt right onto the plate using flush mount screws.

And...a rough to-scale sketch of the design. Its in pencil and more or less acts like a work mat on my bench, so its always getting revised and tweaked. I've already changed things up twice since I took this pic last night.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

so you like having your hands on tube huh? (snickers)

Is it even cold there yet? it was 80 here in Albuquerque today. Nice "winter" build so far.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColquittCustom405 View Post
so you like having your hands on tube huh? (snickers)

Is it even cold there yet? it was 80 here in Albuquerque today. Nice "winter" build so far.
You know I do.

We had a couple night near freezing, then back up to the 80's during the day. Awesome fall weather.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Hey, you actually have RC skillz! I didn't think you ever left CC

J/K rig looks good, especially the rear arms
frdtrkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #16
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdtrkguy View Post
Hey, you actually have RC skillz! I didn't think you ever left CC

J/K rig looks good, especially the rear arms
I don't always get out of CC, but when I do, I come out swingin'.

Thank you sir. I hope to have more tubework done tonight.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallguy View Post
I put a set of RPM Slingshots on one of my CRT.5's, along with 1/16 Summit tires.

erikstarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Very cool
thumperc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Suck it up!

A little more progress.

I'm not happy with a couple of the bends, but everything in front of the shock tower is cosmetic anyway so it doesn't matter much. I decided to retain the stock bumper because it will bounce back when I lawn dart it or hit nose first into the face of the big doubles at the track.

Speaking of track, I slapped some sc wheels with Calibers on them last night after the races and tossed the CRT5 out to see how it'd do. The thing was just brutal in the straights, but the good grip and short wheelbase made for some really slow corners. And it looked a bit silly. But it was fun, so who cares.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 10-19-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #20
Suck it up!

Its starting to look like something. I'm excited!

crt5 Exo clone - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EXO Video Series: Build the EXO Page by page FastEddy Non Crawler RC's 14 05-08-2012 09:45 AM
clone of chinos fj Nick Slemp 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 06-17-2010 12:38 PM
Skyjacker JK Clone bigdodge88 1.9 Scale Rigs 103 03-11-2009 02:19 PM
Looking to clone my Tj 97TjZack Newbie General 1 08-25-2007 11:40 AM