Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra's cyclone s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's cyclone s

i just picked up a new unbuilt cyclone s from the lhs for a great price! i will be starting to build it tonight when i get out of work.

im getting a countersteer kit from a vendor on here that i originally got for my sprint 2, which has been having issues, but i want to see if it will work with this.

it will be used to drift for now so is there any mods i can do to it now that will help it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i just noticed that this thing is 64p. is there a way to convert it to 48p? if so, do you know what brand and size gears will fit?

Old 05-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra's cyclone s

If you're gonna run it indoors then keep the 64p, alot quieter and more gear adjustability. Outdoors will need the 48p.
As I told you, I don't know the car very well but it should just have a spur gear mount. Unscrew the screws, pull off the spur and swap to a different spur, pitch or count. Just remember to do the same with the motor pinion.

Just took a look at some images of the Cyclone. It looks similar to an Xray t2.
I may work but the issue might be the center shaft gear.
The small 10t gear in the kit I sold you is made for a set screw and the whole gear is wide because of the set screw hub.
The Cyclone's gear is narrower then that.

There are a few different size gears for the center of an Xray T2 though. IIRC an 18t and 15t.

Last edited by JeepinDoug; 05-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

ok then i may just put the kit on the sprint 2 then. i am converting it to 48p tomorrow, i just have to go pick up a spur and possibly pinion.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

apart from a few minor things other than converting to 48p, the cyclone is done!

i was planning on using an atomik 3300kv and 80 amp esc combo, however the esc is way too large to fit inside the chassis and i dont want to cut it just yet. so instead im using a mmp and a castle 4600kv 4 pole for now along with an align ds610 servo and futaba r204gf-e rx.

i will post pics tomorrow!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

i converted it to 48 pitch yesterday afternoon using a robinson racing 72t spur that was the same size as the 90t 64p one. and installed a 36t pinion.

i took it out for a bit before work and had very minor problems. being it almost got ran over by a somebody going too fast around the corner, and that it sat too low.

today i took it out with the slick racing tires on it and eventually switched to the drift ones. wile on the slicks, it was crazy fast and when on power it would go were i wanted it to. when i switched tires, it was acting like it was front wheel drive!

upon closer inspection, the pin on the center shaft for the rear pulley is missing/ broken or the inside of the pulley is stripped. hopefully the pin is the problem.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i after taking it apart, which is very easy, the rear drive pulley has stripped!

now the plan is to switch both drive pulleys to alluminum and do a slight countersteer with a slightly smaller front pulley.

the lhs has a 18t pulley and a 16t front one way pulley set aside for me. i plan on picking them up and installing them tomorrow.

Last edited by c0bra; 05-06-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

last night i realized that when i got my sprint 2, some cyclone parts were included, being a set of cvds for the front and a solid diff. so i removed the stock front shafts and put in the cvds.

i replaced the front drive pulley this afternoon with an alluminum 16t one way and moved the stock gear to the back. when putting the center diff back together o had to remove the small spacer and replace it with several shims.

after getting it back together i took it over to the local mall to run it with vta tires on it. i went to an open area were there were no cars parked, or moving. within 5 minutes i was kicked out by mall security! i dont get it, i wasnt destroying anything and i kept it away from people.

after getting kicked out of the mall we went down the street to another shopping center were it was a better pave job and was alot smoother. after running it on the vta tires and drift tires it lost rear wheel drive....... again!

this time luckily the screw in the rear diff broke in half! after replacing the broken ball diff with the solid axle, i ran the car to make sure everything was fine.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's cyclone s

ran the car 2 more times, and guess what....... 3 broken parts! the first run a rear upper bulkhead for the diff almost snapped in 2, and when i went to fix it i noticed the plastic pulley was stripped again! i replaced the pulley with an alluminum 18t pulley. and i super glued the bulkhead to fix it temporarily.

i got the car back together and was drifting it around on the vta tires until i hit a parked vw and the left front hub snapped!

wile looking for replacement parts on hot bodies website and everything was either available soon pr discontinued! so i checked on rctech and saw that some tcx parts will fit the cyclone.

does anybody know which parts from the tcx will fit the cyclone?

Last edited by c0bra; 09-18-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
RCC Addict

ive ran it a few more times since the last update. somehow with no broken parts! the only issue is the set screw on the rear diff backed out enough to make the car fwd.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

10 posts and no pics?
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #12
RCC Addict

sorry here is some pics. they arent the best though

Old 06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

nice
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
RCC Addict

i switched the motor to a castle 6900kv a few weeks ago after getting one a good price. the car is alot faster, but the gear mesh isnt perfect. the motor cant move any closer to the spur gear unless i take a dremel to it.

i took it out last week and ran the car into the drivers side rear tire and almost wedged it. both front upper bulkheads snapped in half and the right front hub cracked in half. the alluminum cyclone replacements are discontinued and the tcx, tcxx and tcfd all use part number 67712. i went to the lhs 3 days in a row to order the part. the forth day i was able to order the part and it wasnt discontinued! if the part fits the front, i will order a second set for the rear

Old 10-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
RCC Addict

i got the part in and mounted it in to the car and it fit! so i ordered a second one which i should have it thursday

c0bra's cyclone s - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
c0bra's wraith c0bra Axial Wraith 16 05-14-2013 08:58 PM
c0bra's cc01 c0bra Tamiya XC/CC01 21 02-20-2013 11:52 PM
c0bra's TT01 build c0bra Non Crawler RC's 13 01-22-2013 09:04 PM
c0bra's.......wraith! c0bra Axial Wraith 32 08-18-2012 09:16 PM
c0bra's wroncho c0bra Axial SCX-10 64 12-19-2011 02:55 PM