Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate with a MMP but which kv motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate with a MMP but which kv motor?

Hello,
I have a traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate and besides the point of racing on a track I really need help ASAP because the motor I looked at a 2400 KV motor (castle) 1415 4-pole motor, then I also looked and called a few people and they told me get the 4600 KV motor which is a 4-pole (they told me also that the 2400 KV motor is to slow for it or slower than stock VXL system) but I do not know how much its really worth it. What would you recommend for me? I race at the STL dirt-burners, if anyone can help me please do, I have to make the order very soon. Remember I will be running a 2s lipo (roar-approved) but like I sed it will be running by a mamba max pro, just which motor would you recommend for me? If anyone can I would appreciate it, thank you,
- axial 4x4 crawler
axial 4x4 crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate with a MMP but which kv motor?

I have a slash 4x4 ultimate and I could only recommend two motors for it, the Castle 3800kv or the Tekin Pro4 4600kv. The Tekin will be a bit quicker, but the Castle 3800 is a great motor. I currently have the 3800kv in my Slash 4x4 ultimate, and its quick

If it were me, I'd get the Tekin pro4 4600kv, because you can run sensored with the MMP and it will be a dream machine
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Well thanks for the suggestion but I don't really have the money to buy the tekin system or motor don't get me wrong I have been running tekin for a while but at this point I can only run castle creations, know you mention the 3800 KV motor, but I have also seen the 1410 or 1406 4600 KV a 4-pole motor know that is a SCT edition or comes in a combo, besides that the motor are line up in a list to show you the difference:
- 1415 2400 KV 4-pole (size of a 550 can)
- 1410 3800 KV 4-pole (size of a 540, 5mm shaft)
- 1406 4600 KV 4-pole (size of a 540, regular shaft)
Even know I listed all of these motor they come in the combo but like you sed the 3800 KV motor is good but what about the 1406 4600 KV motor? Thank you for the help, If you can get back to reply I would really appreciate it, thank you, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

The 3800 has tons of torque. I've never run the 4600, but I'd be worried of heat, especially in a 4x4. The 3800 can handle it, I can confirm that. I also run a 2400 in my 4x4 from time to time. It's slow (compared to the 3800) but I drive smoother with it, just because it pushes the 4x4 without a problem. I only run 2s by the way. The 3800 I think is what you're looking for.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

thanks man, I will order that, even know I have to pull out another $45 dollars to buy it, but it will be worth it. know since that's a 5mm shaft I will need a 5mm pinion but no big deal and do I need the programming card for it? thank you again I appreciate it, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You can use the Castle link to program all of the settings on your computer. You don't NEED it, but it's definitely nice, and it makes programming much much easier. That motor is worth it though. I kept messing around, buying cheapo motors.. they don't compare to nicer Castle motors. And I like 5mm pinions, those tend to have 2mm grub screws which are harder to strip. And 5mm shafts.. beefy.

-Corrupt
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

They make a 3mm shaft and 5mm shaft versions of the Castle 3800kv. I owned both and just sold one of them. You'll love the Castle 3800kv for sure.

Heres my $.02: I took the Castle 3800kv out of my main racer (Losi SCTE 2.0) because it lacked a little something something. It was paired with a MMP. I replaced it with a Tekin Pro4 HD 4300kv, and this thing left the 3800 in the dust. So much fastrt, so much more responsive, i love the sensored motor. So my main overall gripe with the 3800kv is that it felt like I was lacking just a little acceleration, if I didn't have a perfect line I had trouble clearing some of the huge jumps at my local track... with the Tekin, no problems whatsoever

And with the new Pro4 HDs out, you might be able to find a Tekin pro4 4600kv for under $70 used
Old 07-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclabruins89 View Post
They make a 3mm shaft and 5mm shaft versions of the Castle 3800kv. I owned both and just sold one of them. You'll love the Castle 3800kv for sure.
Although be careful, I bought two 3mm shaft versions on Ebay and I received one 3mm and one 5mm version.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well as I posted earlier I cant afford the Tekin motors, don't get wrong I have been running tekin a lot in many other trucks I have but In the slash 4x4 ultimate I can only afford the castle motors, but thanks for the suggestion, Just how much acceleration are you talking about? on the scale 1 to 10 how much would you say? Because I need this slash to be very powerful but controllable not overkill if you know what I mean. Thank you, if you can get back to reply I would really appreciate it, thanks again, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axial 4x4 crawler View Post
Well as I posted earlier I cant afford the Tekin motors, don't get wrong I have been running tekin a lot in many other trucks I have but In the slash 4x4 ultimate I can only afford the castle motors, but thanks for the suggestion, Just how much acceleration are you talking about? on the scale 1 to 10 how much would you say? Because I need this slash to be very powerful but controllable not overkill if you know what I mean. Thank you, if you can get back to reply I would really appreciate it, thanks again, - axial 4x4 crawler
Overall rating 1-10:

Castle 3800kv with sidewinder sct: 6
Castle 3800kv with MMP: 8
Tekin pro4 HD 4300kv with MMP: 10

The difference between the Castle and Tekin for me was sensored, it has a much smoother feeling. Otherwise they are very close motors.

You will not be disappointed with the castle 3800kv. I ran it in both my Losi SCTE and Slash 4x4 ultimate with no problems. With my Losi, I was still easily able to put up the fastest laps of the day at my local track
Old 07-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

hey thanks man you have saved me a lot of money, I will order that later and get ready for the powerhouse. But with the mamba max and the 3800KV motor I think it will be great. Thank you for your time and help I really do appreciate it, since I saw that a new pro4 motor cost 150 dollars at my online store www.amainhobbies.com it would be $275 for the mmp and pro4 but If I had the money right know I would but I only have enough for the 3800KV motor and a few battery connectors since I run dean ultra plugs I have to get a few connectors but no big deal, Only question I have is that do have to program it for Forward only for racing? If so I will get the programming card for it. But thank you a lot, - axial 4x4 crawler

Last edited by axial 4x4 crawler; 07-08-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
hey thanks man you have saved me a lot of money, I will order that later and get ready for the powerhouse. But with the mamba max and the 3800KV motor I think it will be great. Thank you for your time and help I really do appreciate it, since I saw that a new pro4 motor cost 150 dollars at my online store www.amainhoobies.com it would be $275 for the mmp and pro4 but If I had the money right know I would but I only have enough for the 3800KV motor and a few battery connectors since I run dean ultra plugs I have to get a few connectors but no big deal, Only question I have is that do have to program it for Forward only for racing? If so I will get the programming card for it. But thank you a lot, - axial 4x4 crawler
Most hobby shops will program it for you so you could possibly avoid buying the programming card. If you already have the PC link you could program it that way just fine.

I bought my MMP/3800kv on Ebay for around 180 shipped. Maybe try looking for a used 3800kv and MMP, i know new stuff is cool but often used stuff works just as good at 50% the cost.. I just sold a used 3800kv the other day for 60
Old 07-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
hey thanks man you have saved me a lot of money, I will order that later and get ready for the powerhouse. But with the mamba max and the 3800KV motor I think it will be great. Thank you for your time and help I really do appreciate it, since I saw that a new pro4 motor cost 150 dollars at my online store RC Cars & Trucks, RC Helicopters & Planes - A Main Hobbies it would be $275 for the mmp and pro4 but If I had the money right know I would but I only have enough for the 3800KV motor and a few battery connectors since I run dean ultra plugs I have to get a few connectors but no big deal, Only question I have is that do have to program it for Forward only for racing? If so I will get the programming card for it. But thank you a lot, - axial 4x4 crawler
You CAN program it for Forward/Brake only WITHOUT the castle link.

-Corrupt
Old 07-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Cool I guess I wont really need the programming card, but on the other hand I need to adjust Lipo voltage cut off, drag brake, and all of the other stuff. will I need the field link card? And does that come with everything I need to program it (in the programing kit)? thank you for your time, I appreciate it, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The Castle link will probably be the best option to adjust everything it is that you want. I'm not sure about the field link card, but you can do a lot of adjustments without any sort of programming equipment..

-Corrupt
Old 07-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Cool thanks, I will have to look into before buying I don't know If I should buy the field link kit or the usb kit for my PC so well If I pick it for my PC I will have to download the castle creations system just for the usb type programming, Which would you or anyone get? I don't know if their the same but which one would you get?
Thank you, I appreciate it, - axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

You can find the downloads for the programmer here:

Castle Creations | Downloads

You can adjust a lot of options via PC. I enjoy that more because you can be more precise with adjustments, and being able to see the exact setup visually is really convenient. I'd get the PC link if I had a choice personally; I've seen the field programmer in action before, I just think it's actually better to just take a laptop to the field and program the ESC from there haha.

-Corrupt
Old 07-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hey that will work, the PC link will work Fine? Well I guess its added to my cart thank you very much for all your help on this thread and thanks to everyone else. I will download that and if I have any problems I will come back to this thread and ask but It looks simple to me, so you sed you rather buy the PC link for it? If so then I then all problems solved.
- axial 4x4 crawler
Old 07-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Yeah that download is what you need to get up and running. Then all you need is this:

Castle Creations | Castle Link USB Programming Kit

And you'll be programming your ESC in no time! Glad I could help.

And yeah, I'd rather buy the PC link. More adjustments, and if you have a laptop it pretty much makes the field programmer obsolete, since you can take the laptop with you to the field and program from there.

-Corrupt
Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thank you Corrupt, I already downloaded it, know I just have to wait for my programming kit to come in cant wait to get it, you have helped me a lot, I do appreciate it and if you need any help I will glad to help also, - axial 4x4 crawler

Traxxas slash 4x4 ultimate with a MMP but which kv motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Slash 4x4 ultimate upgrades? axial 4x4 crawler Non Crawler RC's 9 06-03-2013 05:40 PM