Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Big Stu's FOFF Monster Truck ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Big Stu's FOFF Monster Truck ???

As if a build of a comp truck, and a rebuild of my comp truck from last year weren't enough, I decided to throw the manual for Monster Trucks / Clodbusters out the window and come up with something new.

Not too long ago, I traded a set of aluminum Wraith axle housings for a BWD FOFF chassis. I've always wanted to get one of these, since they first came out, and knew that one day I would get one. After receiving the chassis I stared at it and tried to come up with an idea. Water skipper, done.. Typical air it out hyper fast FOFF, done... And on and on..... Then it occurred to me, these are VERY strong and the center of gravity is VERY low.. Hmmmm. Set the chassis on a 2.2 crawler tire, put a set of Clodbuster wheels and tires next to it, hmmmm. They almost line up to the axle center line perfect. Hmmmmmm. Then while looking for parts, Chris_the_battery man from Creation Fab releases his new lightweight HD beef tubes to use with Wraith parts and XR10 shafts to widen SCX/AX-10 axles. Idea born..

So after some PMs, phone calls, and orders to my favorite vendors, a pile was born. Some where in here is a monster truck..

Step 1, get the trans in the chassis.
Made a call to my buddy Rick at Super Shafty for one of his Bomb Proof Axial transmissions, with the 6mm outputs and the MIP adapters to fit.
Rick does an incredible job assembling these monsters. He takes the time to build and then break in EVERY transmission he builds. When you get one of these, you drop it in, with BIG power and GO.. And with my decision to go with Tekin Pro4 power and Clodbuster tires - a Bomb Proof trans was a must.

Step 2 - Axles.
Chris the battery man at Creation Fab provided two sets of his new HD lightweight beef tubes. They are aluminum tubes with plastic ends that are splined to fit in to XR10/Wraith C-Hubs. My set required a little persuasion for installation of the C-hubs, but they came out GREAT.

For monster trucks, and monster jam style racing, some of the courses are VERY tight. Almost tight to the point where they require 4ws. Phase one for tight turns - 4ws, accomplished. Phase 2 - Differentials. The standard Axial lockers certainly wouldn't hold up to Pro4 + Clod tires. And with the tight turns required, I went back to my old back of tricks. GCM of Canada is manufacturing aluminum diff housings for the EXO. Just happens that these are the same housings we use in our crawlers. After some searching on the shortcourse forums, the HPI diff gears appeared to be the toughest on the market and the go-to for the short course guys that are having gear diff problems. So, some GCM EXO housings + Axial Under Drive HD Gears + HPI diff gears + some VP grease = differentials that should do the job. To my suprise the XR10 axle ends slid right in and had no slop. I'll keep my eye on them and have a spare set just in case I start breaking teeth. Phase 2 for tight turns, complete.

Kudos go out to Fast Eddie.
I didn't really want to have to buy individual bearings or two complete sets of SCX-10 bearings to fill both axles.
Since they offer sets for the AR60 Wraith axles and these use the same bearings, 2-kits = perfect number of bearings.

After some grinding, filing and trimming on the housings, some more VP grease, a little pinion shimming, we have success..

And, even thought the shocks needs to be finished, and the drive shafts are too long, and a bunch more work needs to be done to get the 4ws ready, I couldn't resist bolting the axles to the chassis.

Keep your eyes open for more progress soon.
Round two of the Michigan Monsters of RC Monster Jam Series is the 23rd of this month. With some luck, I will have the rest of this monster finished and ready to see what she'll do..
Thank you to all the RCC vendors that have provided parts for this build. More to come.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Big Stu's FOFF Monster Truck ???

Nice! I've got that chassis in a 13.5" wb with vanquish currie rock jock axles. I love it
1tonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
RCC Addict

This is the 12.5" Version. I kind of wish it was the 13.5". Going to try it at this wheelbase and see how it works.
Do you run it with the front offset pumpkin?
Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Awesome idea. Looking forward to the progress. Subscribed.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Bad ass man, I love it!!!!
Later,
Farmer
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Fantastic collection of parts! Subscribed

It's nice to see another MT build going together. I would take note of how the lower links attach the chassis, and consider this mod:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/formula-offroad/398046-crawler-innovations-water-skippin-foffer-build-6.html#post4532348

That lower link mount bolt is the weakest link in the chassis design and they take all the impact. Thankfully you will be using clod buster wheels and tires and they absorb a lot of impact
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The spider gears you mentioned are tough for anything below a 5" od tire. I grenades about 4 sets of them with just 5.5 imex pullers
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
This is the 12.5" Version. I kind of wish it was the 13.5". Going to try it at this wheelbase and see how it works.
Do you run it with the front offset pumpkin?
I think you can lengthen it with longer links.
Mine has the centered pumpkins

Last edited by 1tonscout; 11-13-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Awesome idea. Looking forward to the progress. Subscribed.
Thank you. Should have some more progress soon.. Did some design work on the puter last night. Should be cutting some parts tonight. Steering arms and some plates to stiffen up the clod wheels for the VP hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
Bad ass man, I love it!!!!
Later,
Farmer
Thanks Farmer. Hoping to have it done in time to show off at the first comp of the season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Fantastic collection of parts! Subscribed

It's nice to see another MT build going together. I would take note of how the lower links attach the chassis, and consider this mod:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/formula-offroad/398046-crawler-innovations-water-skippin-foffer-build-6.html#post4532348

That lower link mount bolt is the weakest link in the chassis design and they take all the impact. Thankfully you will be using clod buster wheels and tires and they absorb a lot of impact
Thank you VERY much for the info on that suspension bolt. The chassis I picked up was used for mock up, never run. I noticed it has longer bolts that go through both sides of the chassis around the link mount.. I thought about milling a small piece of Delrin, like a dog house, to make the mount even a little stronger. The tires should take most of the shock, and the shocks are going to be pretty soft.. So fingers crossed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
The spider gears you mentioned are tough for anything below a 5" od tire. I grenades about 4 sets of them with just 5.5 imex pullers
Yikes.. How much motor were you running and what on?
I also have two sets of the Axial diff gears that are used in the EXO and can be used in the SCX axles as well. My hope is that the aluminum diff housings will keep things straight and engaged. I also shimmed the diffs, with the shims from GCM, so they are tight and smooth. Hoping they stay that way.. The great thing about the axles, you can pull them apart and inspect in almost no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tonscout View Post
I think you can lengthen it with longer links.
Mine has the centered pumpkins
I have some heavy wall aluminum tubing pieces on the bench, so I was thinking I could make up some links and see how things go. I just wasn't sure if there was a difference in the length of the chassis between the 12.5 and 13.5 wb.

Going to be spending some time on this one tonight, so updates coming soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I can measure my chassis if you want
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Was going to spend some time in front of the CNC tonight, milling some parts. Until I started the control computer and it said it needed 25 updates. GREAT....
So while that was updating, I pulled apart the shocks, cleaned and re-built them with some new soft parts, mounted the front steering servo to start getting ready for the linkage, and just had to put some tires on it....

Some of tonight's progress.
Can't decide, Ford or Chevy....

And YES, the stock unmodified universals will turn this much.
These are TXT wheels with no hubs or anything. Mounted right to the hexes..

Just to see how much steering this truck might have. With no wideners, this isn't too bad...

Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm a ford guy but that chev body looks like a million bucks sitting on there

Sick build so far, definitely a tough build
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looking good!
Krawler Konceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
So after some PMs, phone calls, and orders to my favorite vendors, a pile was born.
Sounds like how I was born.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thank you everyone. Just wish the truck was coming along faster. LOL..

Did some more work today.
Couldn't find any steering arms I liked, so I designed my own.
I'm really not trying to brag, but having a CNC mill in your basement spoils a guy...

These are just for mock up, but looks like this will work pretty good.

And even without any hubs to push the rims out a little bit, they just clear.. As soon as I get the hubs and stiffening plates on the rims, they should work perfect.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks good.

Check out a couple of my wraith MT builds. I used DLux delrin wheel faces and SLW hubs in my clod wheels.

Sent from my computer-phone.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #17

this thing is badass!
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Thank you for all the compliments guys..
Did a little more work tonight, while some paint was drying.
Was hoping to have this done for the monster truck race this weekend, but just not enough hours in the day.
But you know what they say, good things come to those that wait.
First thing to do, finish up the front an rear tie rods.

Next thing on the agenda, shortening up the drive shafts. Since I went with the extended outputs on my Super Shafty Bomb Proof trans, the MIPs were a little long.
A phone call to Rick at Super Shafty and problem fixed.

Between painting and decaling a body, and getting this done, I was VERY happy. But I couldn't leave it here.
Been dying to get it on some wheels. My clod wheels need to spend some time in the mill, so for now these will do..

Front Axle

And for those critics that say these are Sedonas and they aren't as big as a monster truck tire, take a second look. Yes, that is a RC4WD Rumble.

Since the Chevy body has to go on another truck, I kept trying to go with the Superduty monster truck body I have. Just not sure it is going to work.

Any suggestions on a body? Wheel base is right about 13.25".
Only body I won't put on it is a Grave Digger body..
Old 07-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Default Big Stu's FOFF Monster Truck ???

Quote:

Yikes.. How much motor were you running and what on?
I also have two sets of the Axial diff gears that are used in the EXO and can be used in the SCX axles as well. My hope is that the aluminum diff housings will keep things straight and engaged. I also shimmed the diffs, with the shims from GCM, so they are tight and smooth. Hoping they stay that way.. The great thing about the axles, you can pull them apart and inspect in almost no time.

Traxxas's Velenion motor, ESC, 3906 emaxx trans into WK axles, 5.5 imex pullers, k2-3l chassis, jeep body, 2s thunder pro lipos 4k mah

Last edited by Gula; 07-17-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

Big Stu's FOFF Monster Truck ??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is a mamba monster to much for FOFF Bigmud Formula Offroad 18 12-18-2013 08:40 AM
Jthellfire's C2/Foff rig with big Powa!! jthellfire911 1.9 Scale Rigs 94 01-25-2013 06:06 PM