Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC

The DHK Hobby Maximus is sold only by HobbyPeople in the US and similar hobby stores in other countries such as HobbyZone in Australia, HobbyStation in New Zealand, etc. Although DHK is not considered an "in store brand", it may as well be. I believe that the Maximus is also sold under the name Megatron 8E. It is an 8th scale monster truck with the running gear of a truggy (3 differentials). I purchased one of these about three months ago on a very cheap one-day sale just as an experiment. I like to write and I figured it would give me something to write about. I was not disappointed!

Do I recommend the DHK Hobby Maximus? No. Why? Two huge reasons: 1. The stock motor and ESC are of very poor quality. Mine quit working in the first two weeks, then four more times in two months until I finally gave up on them, and 2. A total lack of aftermarket support. The only way to get replacement parts is through the Hobby store that sells DHK. Not even chop shops want to handle this brand because there isn't enough demand for them to make any money from it. If any of the stock parts are not strong enough, the only way to make them stronger is to improvise.

I eventually plan to do an in-depth review of the DHK Maximus with supporting pictures and video. I am not ready to do that, yet. However, I am writing this post to follow up a previous thread I started in the Electronics section of this forum regarding the poor quality electronics and the hassles I went through with warranty support:

Too Much Current From A Battery Killed my Brushless Motor? I DON'T THINK SO!!

As promised at the end of that thread, I want to post back regarding the aftermarket motor and ESC. I have not had a chance yet to get the Maximus up and running, but this evening I fit-checked the Leopard motor and Hobbywing ESC. This is my report on that:

As noted in the "Electronics" thread, the motor in the Maximus is held by a very non-standard mount that is a "clamping heat sink."

Name:  Maximus-funky-motor-mount.jpg
Views: 8342
Size:  72.4 KB

That bizarre method of holding the motor limits it to only 36mm diameter. Most 36mm dia motors are meant for 1/10 scale rigs, not 1/8 scale monster trucks. The motor that came stock on the DHK Maximus has a can size of 3660 and is 2260Kv. It moved the truck along very rapidly, then died just as rapidly. Luckily, there is plenty of length in the motor bay, so I purchased the longest 36mm dia motor I could find, a Leopard LBP3674-1900Kv. I temporarily set it into the motor bay and took pictures. Here is the stock DHK motor next to the new Leopard motor which is significantly longer:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-01.jpg
Views: 7525
Size:  99.1 KB

As can be seen here, the longer motor fits just fine (the clamping heat sink is omitted for clarity):

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-02.jpg
Views: 8908
Size:  83.1 KB

The stock ESC that comes with the DHK Hobby Maximus in a paltry 80-amps considering that the truck is designed to use dual 2S batteries in series for 4S. That pushes the ESC to it's max all the time. In addition to that problem, it has a very tight fit between the fwd bulkhead and steering servo such that the routing of the wires wants to rub on the steering link:

Name:  Maximus-cramped-ESC-location.jpg
Views: 7126
Size:  79.5 KB

I wanted to replace the 80a ESC with something more powerful, but had to be careful with its physical size. I finally settled on a Hobbywing WP-SC8 which is a waterproof 120a ESC designed for use with 4S power. It is meant mostly for 1/10 scale rigs, but should do OK in the Maximus. Considering the size limitations, I don't have much choice anyway. Here are a couple of pictures comparing the Hobbywing 120a ESC on the left to the DHK Hobby 80a ESC on the right:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-03.jpg
Views: 7132
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-04.jpg
Views: 7523
Size:  71.8 KB

Due to the way the wires of the stock ESC wanted to rub against the steering link, I tried to locate the new Hobbywing ESC into the chassis with the wires facing fore and aft. You can see in this picture that I could not place it that direction because it would not fit in the allotted space:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-05.jpg
Views: 6659
Size:  89.7 KB

Since I had no choice but to mount the new Hobbywing ESC with the wires facing sideways, I had to determine which direction was the best fit. In the following picture, I have loosely laid the steering link in place to see what interference would exist. It makes for some pretty tight wiring:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-07.jpg
Views: 6637
Size:  81.7 KB

In addition to checking on potential wire chaffing, I needed to make sure that the fan power plug was easy to get to because that port is also used for attaching the Hobbywing external programming box. In this picture, you can see that the plug will be under the steering link, but at least that is easy to remove for access:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-06.jpg
Views: 6668
Size:  81.9 KB

I checked the fit with the ESC turned around the opposite direction. That caused the fan plug to be under the center brace. The only way to access the plug is to remove the brace. I decided I would rather remove the steering link than the brace:

Name:  maximus-motor-esc-08.jpg
Views: 6575
Size:  70.4 KB

Doing this test fit is as far as I got today. Work and family time permitting, tomorrow I hope to solder on the connectors, get the motor and ESC installed, then take the rig out for a test run. If I do, I'll take pictures and video then post a report back here on the results.
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default VIDEO: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC

Where does time go? It's after midnight and I should be in bed. Lot's of other things to do, but I did get the new motor and ESC installed into the Maximus. It wasn't in time to get it outside for a test run, but I did calibrate and program the ESC, then gave it a static run indoors.

I had planned to post a few close-up pictures as I did yesterday, but it's late. I did, however, take video of the static test with a running commentary during the test of what I did and how it worked out. I'm traveling for work this week and shot it in my hotel room in poor light, but it got the job done. Check it out if you are interested:

DHK Hobby Maximus: Static Test With New Motor and ESC - YouTube

The following is simply a repeat of the verbiage posted below the video on Youtube. The purpose for this is to assist people in future searches to find info on the DHK Maximus...

-------------------------

As I explained in a previous video, the stock electronics in my DHK Hobby Maximus gave me nothing but trouble from the start. The motor and ESC both quit in the first two weeks of ownership. I got them replaced under warranty. That happened four more times over a two month period. I am not a novice RC enthusiast. I am well equipped and know how to monitor temps. The motor would run within reasonable temps (under 140 degrees F) most of the time. That is, it would go a through a few battery packs at normal temps. Then all the sudden on one run the temperature would spike. Then the motor or ESC, or both, would die without warning. It would happen so quickly that I could never anticipate or stop it. Two of the five times the truck failed, one of the Deans connectors between the batteries and ESC came unsoldered and partially melted.

I discussed this at length with the Hobby People store manager. Neither he nor I could ever come to a definite conclusion as to why it was happening. I thought it was related to poor quality, low-amp Lipo batteries being pushed too hard. I also thought it might be that the 80amp stock ESC was not up to the task of dealing with 4S power which is what the truck was designed for. The Hobby People store manager thought it might be a bad batch of motors from China. After the third time I came in for warrant replacement, he started hinting that I was at fault. I explained that I have six other 1/10 and 1/8 scale RC's and I've never had this problem with those rigs. I know how to maintain my trucks and how to monitor them when they are running. I know how to properly gear them for various batteries, tires and terrain. He backed off a bit, but I could tell he wasn't convinced.

If you check around the internet, you will find postings such as this one at Finley and Oliver where others are complaining about the poor quality of DHK electronics. It's not just me.

DHK Zombie 8e 11.1v Bashing – Hobbies And Interests

By the third warranty replacement, I was getting pretty frustrated, so I asked for a refund on the Maximus. The Hobby People store manager would not do it. I asked again on both the 4th and 5th warranty replacements. I never got a refund. I think it would have been cheaper for them to refund the purchase price rather than spending considerably more on replacement motors and ESC's. It would also have saved them from embarrassing postings such as this video and reviews I have published on several well-known RC forums.

I finally decided to quit going back to the store and just move forward on my own. It cost me money, but gained me peace of mind.

I purchased a Leopard 3674-1900Kv motor and a Hobbywing WP-SC8 120a ESC. As noted in the video, a 36mm diameter motor is the only size that will fit into the Maximus due to a very non-standard motor mount. The Maximus is an oddly designed truck. For an 8th scale Monster Truck, it also has a very cramped layout and the ESC barely fits even though it's a small one. I would have preferred to install a 150amp Hobbywing, but that would have zero chance of fitting.

This video shows the new motor and ESC installed and gives a brief demonstration of the motor running. It is now incredibly smooth. There is no hint of the horrible cogging that I used to get from the old motor. I look forward to getting this truck out in the daylight for a real test run and posting video of that. Check back soon!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Default Re: REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC

Hello MailManX,

Thanks for posting this. Lots of detail and you're certainly sticking to your promise of providing granular updates!

I got mine back from HobbyStation earlier this week. He said the stock motor had burned out and he replaced it with a longer, green, "next generation" motor. I think it's around 2000kV. I thought he mentioned replacing the ESC too but it looks like it's the same one. He said he's replaced 4 motors in recent months and that the new 'next gen' motor shouldn't cause any issues. We will see.

Took it out for a brief run last night and it seems OK. If it fails again, I don't think I'll bother getting it fixed. I could push for a full refund but then I'm left paying another $400 odd at least for a Traxxas Slash or similar (which retails here for NZD$850, brushless 4 X 4 that is).

I like tinkering so I'll follow your lead and purchase an aftermarket ESC and motor. I'm really keen to see how you go outdoors!
Warmntoasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmntoasty View Post
I could push for a full refund but then I'm left paying another $400 odd at least for a Traxxas Slash or similar (which retails here for NZD$850, brushless 4 X 4 that is).
Ouch! That's bloody expensive! On top of that, you'd have to pay even more to make it bulletproof. I like Traxxas vehicles, but they sure don't come bulletproof out of the box. I thought I was saving money by purchasing a new Stampede 4x4 for my grandson. I paid about $450 USD for it. Little by little, I replaced things that broke with better quality things. His truck is pretty close to bulletproof now, but I've spent another $300 USD in the process for things like RC8 shocks, RPM arms, better bearings all around, King Headz motor mount, Tekno CVD axles front and rear, T-bone basher bumpers and servo guard, etc, etc. HOLY SMOKE THIS IS AN EXPENSIVE HOBBY!!

In retrospect, it would have been cheaper to have bought my grandson a used 8th scale rig. For example, I now have an Associated RC8.2e "Factory Team" Buggy that I bought used for $400 USD. It had been a race buggy, had been extremely well maintained and had nothing but the best equipment on it. I've barely spent another dollar on that rig and I drive it hard. At roughly half the cost of the plastic Stampede 4X4, my RC8 buggy is tougher and faster than anything else I own. Live and learn.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #5

Yeah, that's the thing The Slash/Stampede are plastic. At least the Maximus has an aluminium chassis. And the stock shocks look more rugged too. I would hazard a guess (and a little optimisim) and say that moving forward, with motor/esc upgraded, the Maximus will be a worthy rig for a beginner. No real need to upgrade anything else. Yes, parts and hop up options are limited (I'm gonna need a new shell sooner rather than later), but for the price, it's an acceptable intro truggy. Surely, our experiences are the minority and that DHK have PLENTY of happy customers.

That said, this has definitely taken the shine off. It feels like I can take my 1/10th Tamiya Desert Gator and just bash the hell out of it but with the Maximus (speed and inertia aside), I feel like I need to treat it with kid gloves.

And as you said, you live and learn.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Default FIRST TEST RUN: DHK Hobby Maximus With Leopard Motor and Hobbywing ESC

I took the Maximus out today for a successful first test run. While that video is uploading to Youtube, here are some close-up pictures of the installation process for your viewing pleasure.

The Maximus is not an easy truck to work on due to cramped spaces and the strange motor mount. However, everything went in well and the clamping heatsink actually holds the motor far better than I thought it would.

This first picture shows a test fit of the ESC with all of the motor and battery connectors soldered in place. I'm not fond of Dean's connectors, especially after the last fizzle I had with the spring clip on one of the stock Maximus connetors, so I used EC5 connectors on all of my rigs. I have big fingers and I like the big EC5 connectors:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-01.jpg
Views: 6611
Size:  79.1 KB

Based on wire routing issues I had with the stock ESC, I was worried about the wiring clearance on this ESC. Fortunately, it ended up with good clearance under the steering link:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-02.jpg
Views: 6258
Size:  72.0 KB

I moved the steering to full left and right lock. The closest the link got to the wires was at full left lock. It's close, but it works. It's actually better than the stock clearance which had a heavy wire rub:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-03.jpg
Views: 6440
Size:  67.5 KB

This picture from the backside of the ESC shows how snug it is in the allotted area:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-04.jpg
Views: 6182
Size:  71.5 KB

The bottom of the Maximus chassis is where you will find the four screws for adjusting the motor mount to achieve proper gear mesh. It is less than a pleasure to work with:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-05.jpg
Views: 6253
Size:  63.2 KB

This shows the bottom half of the clamping heatsink which is also the motor mount. At full inward adjustment, look how close it gets to the drive shaft. They even had to cut a notch out of the heatsink for clearance of the outdrive:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-06.jpg
Views: 6209
Size:  65.3 KB

I test fit the motor into the bottom half of the heatsink. Looking good so far:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-07.jpg
Views: 6259
Size:  66.3 KB

To keep from putting too much pressure on any one point on the motor can, the four screws of the clamping heatsink need to be tightened gradually and in a diagonal pattern, kind of like tightening head bolts:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-08.jpg
Views: 6104
Size:  55.2 KB

When all tightened down, this clamping heatsink actually holds the motor far better than I dreamed it would. Even so, it's still a royal pain in the butt to work with:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-09.jpg
Views: 6060
Size:  48.4 KB

With the motor in its final resting place, the 74mm length is perfect:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-10.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  67.9 KB

I was happily surprised that I could remove the ESC fan plug using needle nose pliers without having to remove the steering link:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-11.jpg
Views: 6041
Size:  53.0 KB

This same fan plug location is where you plug in the Hobbywing program box:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-12.jpg
Views: 5991
Size:  47.8 KB

This is the "simple" version of the Hobbywing program box. I have the digital multi-function box, too, but I keep this one in my field kit for quick changes while out and about. I actually like it quite well:
Name:  ESC-Motor-Change-Maximus-13.jpg
Views: 6501
Size:  84.3 KB

Last edited by MailManX; 05-16-2014 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Removed a semi-bad word (arse)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Default FIRST TEST RUN: DHK Hobby Maximus With Leopard Motor and Hobbywing ESC

Video is now uploaded to Youtube:

It's not what I'd call an interesting video - no bashing. It's meant to be educational to those who have a DHK Maximus and need to know what can be improved.

DHK Hobby Maximus First Test Run with Leopard Motor and Hobbywing ESC - YouTube

Here are some still photos to go with it:

Ready to roll for first run:
Name:  ESC-Motor-First-Run-01.jpg
Views: 5948
Size:  78.0 KB

Ambient air temp today at run time was 81 degrees F:
Name:  ESC-Motor-First-Run-02.jpg
Views: 5859
Size:  35.2 KB

The tarmac at run time was 97 degrees F:
Name:  ESC-Motor-First-Run-03.jpg
Views: 5837
Size:  33.4 KB

When the LVC kicked in after 24 minutes, both batteries had 3.68V on both cells. Not bad! I was surprised the voltage was that high since I set the ESC for 3.2V. However, I think it can be explained by the fact that the ESC reads the battery while under load, so it probably sees 3.2V with the motor running:
Name:  ESC-Motor-First-Run-04.jpg
Views: 5825
Size:  60.3 KB

The hottest that the ESC ever got was 106 degrees F. No big deal:
Name:  ESC-Motor-First-Run-05.jpg
Views: 5879
Size:  63.9 KB

The motor maxed out at 159.5 degrees F, but my picture of that was blurry, so I didn't post it.

For future search results, here is a copy of the text that is posted below the video on Youtube:

-------------------------------

As promised from the static test video I posted yesterday, here is the first outdoor run of the DHK Maximus with the new Leopard 3674-1900Kv motor and Hobbywing WP-SC8 120a ESC. If you are looking for a bashing video, you will be disappointed. This is simply a test run in as controlled a manner as possible. I started off slowly, then gradually pushed harder and harder. I took temps approximately every 5 minutes. The ambient air temp was 81 degrees F and the pavement was 97 degrees F.

After working up through increasing motor temperatures, it reached a maximum of 159.5 degrees F. I used the technique of repeated hard acceleration and hard braking to push the temps as high as possible. I never got it past the 159.5 degrees F. I am OK with that temp, but will have to be careful of gearing in warm weather bashing.

I am running the stock 45T spur gear and an 11T pinion which is one tooth less than stock. The 1900Kv Leopard motor can probably handle more, but I wanted to start out carefully and work my way up. As you can see by this video, I know how to monitor a motor and I certainly did not abuse the original stock setup that kept dying on me. I think this pretty well verifies that the stock DHK electronics are useless. If you do not currently own a DHK Maximus (or one of their other rigs), I would recommend that you NOT purchase one. If you do already own one, I will do my best over time to help you get the most out of it.

The batteries I used for this test are brand new Gens Ace 7000mAh 50C 2S batteries run in series for 4S which is what the Maximus is designed for. I do not recommend ever running more than 4S, even with the aftermarket motor and ESC. This is no Thunder Tiger, it's a lowly DHK. You must treat it with respect whether it deserves it or not. I only got 24 minutes of run time on this charger. I expected more. However, everything is new and needs to be broken in a bit. In addition to that, I drove it pretty erratically on purpose to heat up the motor and that is not conducive to long battery life. Finally, even though I set the LVC on the ESC to 3.2v, it actually cut-off at 3.68V.

I am very impressed with the smoothness and responsiveness of the new motor and ESC combination. It does not cog at all and runs far better than the stock setup ever did. As you can see in the video, I need to change the fluid in the differentials, especially the center. The stock differential setup makes the front tires unload rather badly which drains power from the rear.

The top speed with this new setup is rather disappointing. I captured it on radar at only 39 mph. However, with proper differential setup and a slightly larger pinion, it should get closer to 50 mph. I truly wish that this rig could handle a larger diameter motor. It is disappointing how DHK designed the motor mount with a 36mm diameter limit. That is not an optimal size for a 1/8th scale 4x4 monster truck. Even though I put in the largest 36mm motor I could find, it is more fitting to a 1/10th scale rig. However, if this roller turns out to be durable, its excellent balance and lack of blazing speed will actually make it a pretty sweet basher.

Once I get all this sorted out, I may let my 9-year old grandson claim the Maximus as his truck. He currently has his own tricked-out Traxxas Stampede 4x4 that has more aftermarket than stock parts and it's darn near bulletproof. He enjoys it a lot, but has always lusted for one of my 8th scale rigs. I won't give up my MT4-G3, RC8.2e, Summit or any of the other trucks I own, so this might be the right one for him. I am very proud of how he has learned how to maintain and repair his truck. I am always there to help when he needs it. I'd never leave him hanging out to dry with a piece of junk truck like DHK and Hobby People did to me.

Last edited by MailManX; 05-16-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #8

Ah, MailManX. Another quality post mate. Took mine out yesterday for several runs on the 'public' track the 1/5th guys use. No real issues apart from losing a screw connecting the tie-rod to the steering plate. It's screwed from bottom to top so I didn't even see it come lose when I was inspecting it between runs. Easily replaced though.

Absolutely green that you're getting even 24 minutes run time. I'm getting around 8-10 on 3200mah lipos and have some 5000mah 2C coming. Will get those Gen Ace 7000s in a couple of weeks if the electronics hold out. I didn't think I could get bigger capacity lipos without comprimising thickness so I was please to see that they are still only 25mm thick.

Hurry home sir so I can watch your bashing review ;)
Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Ah, MailManX. Another quality post mate. Took mine out yesterday for several runs on the 'public' track the 1/5th guys use. No real issues apart from losing a screw connecting the tie-rod to the steering plate. It's screwed from bottom to top so I didn't even see it come lose when I was inspecting it between runs. Easily replaced though.

Absolutely green that you're getting even 24 minutes run time. I'm getting around 8-10 on 3200mah lipos and have some 5000mah 2C coming. Will get those Gen Ace 7000s in a couple of weeks if the electronics hold out. I didn't think I could get bigger capacity lipos without comprimising thickness so I was please to see that they are still only 25mm thick.

Hurry home sir so I can watch your bashing review ;)
I'm glad you enjoy the posts. I really enjoy writing them. I didn't get home this week till Friday night, and I have to leave on company travel again in about an hour (Sunday afternoon), so the honey-do list and playing with the grandkids took precedence. However, there are a couple of options. My assignment this week is in Palmdale, CA which is a rather God-forsaken place (my apologies to anyone who reads this from Palmdale!). But that can be a good thing for RC offroading since there are a lot of dirt lots and unimproved areas around. However, if I am unable to find an appropriate spot in Palmdale this week, then next weekend when I'm back home I'll be sure to hit my favorite local BMX dirt spot. It's a long holiday weekend for me and I'll have a bit more free time.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default Unofficial Response from Hobby People Employee about DHK Maximus

To Warmntoasty and all others who have been following this thread, I have also been carrying on conversations over on the UltimateRC forum in order to reach an even broader audience. I thought you might be interested in the comments posted today by an employee of Hobby People. I appreciated his kind words and found some further insight into the DHK electronics.

REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Aftermarket Motor and ESC - Monster Trucks @ URC Forums

I'm happy that I have always tried to take the high road in my reporting. Yes, I've become frustrated at times, but I have always tried to report exactly what has happened without stooping to threats, name-calling and immaturity. I strive to treat people the way I want to be treated. I let the employee know that Hobby People actually treated me pretty well and that I was mostly disenchanted with DHK for their poor quality electronics. Other than that, I think the rolling chassis is actually pretty cool.

P.S. - I am writing this from my new hotel room in Palmdale, CA this Sunday evening due to another temporary assignment away from home. I'll be here till Friday, so I'll see if I can find a cool place around Palmdale to run the Maximus offroad and get some new video. Until then, Cheers!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Default RCScrewz Kit for DHK Maximus

Quote:
...lost a screw connecting the tie-rod to the steering plate. It's screwed from bottom to top so I didn't even see it come lose when I was inspecting it between runs...
I have had that happen to me. In fact, my truck had a problem from the factory where the screw on the right side was cross-threaded. I temporarily moved the right side to a top-mount position since it was cross-threaded on the bottom. Unfortunately, that didn't solve the screws coming out while bashing.

The RCScrewz company sells Kit Number DHK005 for the Maximus that has Stainless Steel screws with hex heads:

http://www.rcscrewz.com/product_info...ts_id/4422?SID

RCScrewz is located in the US with a distributor in Canada. They do ship internationally.

I actually prefer class 12.9 alloy black screws, but I purchased this kit so I could provide some feedback. Anything has to be better than the stock Phillips head screws. Even so, I was a bit leery about the order because the website stated:

"Some screws that are included in the our kits remain Phillips heads but are still stainless steel. We have done this for strength, as a result of our field testing, on small diameter screws (2mm and 2-56" dia). This may include some chassis screws and differential screws. All other remain socket head."

I now have the screw kit and am happy to report that there are not any Philips head screws in it. It's just a blanket statement on the website that may or may not affect a kit. The kit comes with basic L-shaped hex wrenches for each size of screw head. I didn't need that, but it's a nice touch. I've only used a few of the screws so far, but they are well machined and the hex tops fit tightly to my wrenches.

This picture shows the kit size compared to a laptop mouse and flip phone. The plastic box is pretty small:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-01.jpg
Views: 4318
Size:  56.5 KB

Here is a close-up view of the screws:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-02.jpg
Views: 4535
Size:  82.2 KB

This shows how the steering is mounted from the factory:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-03.jpg
Views: 6526
Size:  77.5 KB

The right side was cross-threaded on the bottom, so I moved it to the top until I figured out what to do about it:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-04.jpg
Views: 5948
Size:  71.4 KB

The permanent fix was really easy. I carefully drilled out the threads, then put in longer screws from the bottom with locking nuts on the top:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-05.jpg
Views: 5237
Size:  56.0 KB

The finished product has a clean look and does not vibrate apart:

Name:  RCScrewz-DHK-Maximus-06.jpg
Views: 8118
Size:  81.2 KB
Old 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM   #12

I'm still running my Maximus with the stock ESC. The motor was replaced by the hobby shop but I believe it's less powerful (albeit more reliable)! I'm getting a top speed of about 45km/h (28mph). I've replaced the centre diff with 120,000wt fluid the rear with 50,000wt. I'm not detecting any binding. I've still experienced temp spikes which resulted in the melting one of the deans connectors, but generally, everything is working OK. Have had heaps of issues with screws coming loose (been through a packet of c-hub bushing just about!). Now using washers and thread locker to combat this.

My pinion and spur are still stock and the ESC punch control is set one increment lower than the default setting. I've experimented with the Motor Timing and trim settings to get more top speed but I don't detect a difference with either.

I'm now shopping around for a new ESC and motor and see that MyRCMart has both the Leopard LPB3674 1900kv and HobbyWing WPSC-8. The ESC looks to be about the cheapest online at $55USD. The Leopard can is $80USD. I've seen a Tacon (3674 1900kv) at HobbyPartz.com for $36USD.

Any thoughts on the Tacon as an alternative to the Leopard? Big price difference.

And MailManX, what's your top speed at the moment?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Any thoughts on the Tacon as an alternative to the Leopard? Big price difference.

And MailManX, what's your top speed at the moment?
I almost purchased a Tacon myself because I had seen a review by JANG saying what an awesome motor it is. However, that is an older review. Since then, Tacon has made some changes. "Apparently" (and I say this because it is an educated guess rather than actual knowledge) the Orange colored Tacon is supposed to be a direct copy of the Leopard motor. However, about all I can find now is the Green colored Tacon motors and those may not be the same motor or be as good. I also read on a different forum that the Orange motors are 4-pole but the Green motors are only 2-pole. If that's true, I'd stick with Leopard. For the price, I should just buy one of the Green motors and test it out. If I do, I'll let you know.

The Leopard that I currently have is a great motor! With a slightly geared down 11-tooth pinion, I get 43Mph which I think is a great speed for bashing.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #14

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the leopard and the same ESC. The motor arrived yesterday but no sign of the ESC yet. I couldn't wait to try the motor so I installed it and immediately noticed even with a static test that it wasn't running much faster if at all. So I took it for a run and it turns out it's actually slightly slower! Getting about 50km/h.

The pinion and spur are meshed correctly (used a piece of paper), no binding there or anywhere else.

I really, really hope the stock 80a ESC is holding the motor back but any advice is appreciated!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the leopard and the same ESC. The motor arrived yesterday but no sign of the ESC yet. I couldn't wait to try the motor so I installed it and immediately noticed even with a static test that it wasn't running much faster if at all. So I took it for a run and it turns out it's actually slightly slower! Getting about 50km/h.

The pinion and spur are meshed correctly (used a piece of paper), no binding there or anywhere else.

I really, really hope the stock 80a ESC is holding the motor back but any advice is appreciated!
Hmmm, I don't have any words of wisdom, unless your radar gun or GPS is lying to you.

My stock motor was actually faster than the Leopard by a few km/h. The only reason I went to the Leopard was to get away from the unreliability of the stock motor. I use an 11-tooth pinion gear for a top speed of 43mph (69kmh). The stock 12-tooth pinion gives me a tiny bit more speed, but I prefer the torque of the 11-tooth pinion for bashing.

I was going to recommend higher discharge rated batteries except I recall that you already bought some good batteries. I did find a noticeable improvement when I went from the stock batteries to the higher powered Gens Ace batteries.

Let's just cross our fingers that the new ESC does the trick for you.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #16

Thanks MailManX.

GPS is accurate and I can tell by sight/sound anyway. You've got almost 20km/h on me which is significant.

Will wait and see what the new ESC does and will also consider going to 3 cell batteries with a higher discharge.

Will let you know how I go!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #17

Thanks MailManX.

GPS is accurate and I can tell by sight/sound anyway. You've got almost 20km/h on me which is significant.

Will wait and see what the new ESC does and will also consider going to 3 cell batteries with a higher discharge.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks MailManX.

Did you get the 1900Kv motor?
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #19

Yup, 4 pole 1900 from Offshore Racing.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yup, 4 pole 1900 from Offshore Racing.
Interesting. Same motor I have so it should respond the same.

Although highly unlikely, it's almost as if they incorrectly labeled the motor it's really a 1700 or even a 1400Kv motor. Those would spin fewer revolutions per volt which seems suspiciously like what's happening with your motor.

I guess now it's a matter of waiting until you get the new ESC to see what happens. If nothing changes, maybe you could return the motor as defective. I know, major PITA.

REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hobby wing motor/ esc Jgraser1 Electronics 9 07-15-2012 09:57 AM
JK MAXIMUS axles sweli 2.2 Scale Rigs 65 02-04-2012 08:38 PM
MAXIMUS has arrived! sub-zero Axial AX-10 Scorpion 33 03-28-2009 12:00 PM