Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: DHK Maximus Center Diff Rebuild (ADDED: Link to Test Video)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default DHK Maximus Center Diff Rebuild (ADDED: Link to Test Video)

This will not be an exact step-by-step tutorial for someone with no mechanical experience. However, for someone with a bit of experience, it should walk you through it pretty well. I have replaced or rebuilt differentials on several of my RC's. The internals of this one are pretty similar to other 1/8th scale planetary differentials. However, getting to it sure it not as easy as it is on my Associated RC8.2e or my Thunder Tiger MT4-G3. Those come out with just four or five screws. I had to remove 20 screws from the DHK Maximus to get the differential out. However, I used a battery powered driver to remove them all and it went pretty quickly. When I did the reassemby, I replaced the original course thread steel Phillips head screws with new fine thread stainless steel hex head screws. I used screws from the RCScrewz screw kit (part number DHK005) that I wrote about in a different thread. I am pretty happy with that screw kit. Since there were so many screws to replace, I used my battery powered driver to run the new screws most of the way down, then finished them by hand.

As you can see in this photo, the center differential is pretty tightly packed in there:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-01.jpg
Views: 4260
Size:  70.3 KB

To begin the process, remove the 12 screws circled in this picture. The harness wire clip is the first item to lift off:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-02.jpg
Views: 4344
Size:  82.9 KB

Lift up the aluminum back brace with the receiver box on it and set that aside. Then lift up and remove the L-bracket shown in the picture below:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-03.jpg
Views: 2719
Size:  83.3 KB

Turn the chassis over and remove four screws common to the bottom of the center differential cage. Even though it's not shown in this photo, I also recommend removing the four screws common to the two rear drive shaft protectors. It will make reassembly much easier:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-05.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  60.0 KB

The center differential cage has two plastic nubs on the bottom and two on the top that help with location. Because of those nubs, you can't just slide the cage sideways. You need to lift it up to disengage the bottom nubs while also lifting the top front retainer to release that nub. Twist the differential cage sideways as shown in the second picture below to release the front driveshaft from the front outdrive:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-04.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  76.8 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-06.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-07.jpg
Views: 2611
Size:  82.6 KB

Remove the four screws holding the differential cage together, then carefully slide the cage over the outdrive. The bearing inner diameter just barely fits over the outer diameter of the outdrive. Pull the second half of the cage over the other outdrive the same way:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-08.jpg
Views: 2704
Size:  147.5 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-09.jpg
Views: 3353
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-10.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  114.8 KB

Remove four small screws holding the spur gear to the differential housing and pull it apart. The spur gear piece on the right is usually one-piece on other 1/8th scaler RC's, but it has an adapter on this DHK Maximus:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-11.jpg
Views: 3302
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-12.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  86.0 KB

Compared to the gaskets on other 1/8th scale RC center differentials, this one is very perforated. It seems like it would be very prone to leaks. Only time will tell:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-13.jpg
Views: 2518
Size:  61.1 KB

Once you are inside the diff housing, things look normal. Pull all the bits out and clean them off:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-14.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  157.7 KB

With all the pieces clean and laid out, it looks pretty much like any other planetary style differential:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-15.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  83.1 KB

The spider gears have a ridge around the outer surface that is different from the very flat surface on my Associated trucks. I don't know if that's good or bad. It's just different. The difference in shape and inner diameter mean that the spider gears from the Associated differential cannot be used on this DHK differential:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-16.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-17.jpg
Views: 2773
Size:  51.7 KB

The next two pictures compare the DHK Maximus outdrive to the Associated outdrive. It's not as beefy and does not use an o-ring on the shaft. However, if time proves that the DHK holds up well, then this is not an issue. I'll keep you all posted:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-18.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-19.jpg
Views: 2366
Size:  28.4 KB

There's a huge difference between the Associated and DHK differential outdrive bearings. However, the DHK bearings both rolled smoothly, so I cleaned them, oiled them and used them over again:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-20.jpg
Views: 2671
Size:  111.8 KB

I reassembled the planetary gears with new OFNA 120,000 wt silicone locking differential fluid. I did not have any extra washers that were the right size for spacers, but the single spacer behind each gear that came from the factory provided a good gear mesh:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-21.jpg
Views: 3384
Size:  89.9 KB

Re-attach the spur gear and its adapter to the differential case. Wipe off any fluid that spills or squeezes out:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-22.jpg
Views: 3440
Size:  48.1 KB

Slip the two halves of the center differential cage over the outdrives and screw them together with four screws:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-23.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  63.7 KB

If you did not previously remove the two rear driveshaft protectors, you should do that now. You need to be able to swing the rear driveshaft out of the way so you can move the center diff cage into position. That is easier said than done since the top and bottom plastic nubs have to be eased into place at the same time:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-24.jpg
Views: 3218
Size:  72.0 KB

Reassemble the driveshaft protectors, L-bracket, aluminum back brace and harness assembly clip. Don't forget to put the four screws into the bottom of the diff cage from under the chassis:

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-25.jpg
Views: 2990
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-26.jpg
Views: 2523
Size:  62.1 KB

Success! Take it out for a run and have fun! It made a HUGE difference for my DHK Maximus. The front tires don't unload as much, it hooks up better on dirt and pulls wheelies easily if that is something you enjoy. If not, just dial back the punch. I run my punch at 7 of 9. Although it seems unlikely, the diff rebuild actually gained me four more miles per hour of top speed.

Name:  dhk-maximus-center-diff-27.jpg
Views: 2423
Size:  69.6 KB

Last edited by MailManX; 05-31-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Added photos that dropped off at first attempt
MailManX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Test Video of DHK Maximus On Road After Diff Rebuild

Here is a short on-road video test-run I did in the cul-de-sac in front of my house. The new differential fluid made a HUGE difference! I am extremely happy with this change.

DHK Maximus Test After Center Differential Rebuild - YouTube

In the next day or two, I will be uploading some offroad bashing video with this setup. That video has already been taken, I just have to edit it. I am happy to say the truck took a heck of a beating and did not break. It handles really well off-road.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #3

Default Re: DHK Maximus Center Diff Rebuild (ADDED: Link to Test Video)

Hi MailManX

I'd like to rebuild my front and rear diffs now. Any recommendations on wt?
Warmntoasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: DHK Maximus Center Diff Rebuild (ADDED: Link to Test Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmntoasty View Post
Hi MailManX

I'd like to rebuild my front and rear diffs now. Any recommendations on wt?
I use 60k in the rear and 30k in the front. That works well for the motor power I have and the type of driving I do. However, this is a pretty subjective topic.

DHK Maximus Center Diff Rebuild (ADDED: Link to Test Video) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REPORT: DHK Hobby Maximus Motor and ESC MailManX Non Crawler RC's 24 10-17-2014 07:56 PM
A different center diff ah_5500 Axial Wraith 12 12-08-2012 11:33 AM
has anyone tried a center diff? joshII Formula Offroad 3 06-08-2011 05:42 PM
My Center Diff E-Maxx skellyo Non Crawler RC's 2 01-18-2009 12:38 PM
unloading center diff savageracer312 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 5 02-25-2006 08:34 AM