Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: RC10DS - 41 Willys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RC10DS - 41 Willys

I decided to make a thread for my RC10 Nitro DS Willys. it was born of spare parts. it was probably mentioned in another thread but i felt it needed a thread of its own.

It has slowly evolved and has yet to be finished. A high speed setup was the intended goal. It has a spur & pinion 56/24 for a 2.3:1 ratio. The manual has part numbers for 56,58, & 60 tooth spurs and 22 or 24 tooth clutch bells. i'm not sure what the stock ratio is but i went with high speed. I managed to find an associated 54 tooth 32p spur which would bring the ratio to 2.25:1. This has to yet to be fitted.

I shoe-horned an OS .18 engine with MIP 4n1 clutch shoes & spring. Although a Paris Racing pipe was going to be fitted...i couldn't resist the smooth glazed blue stock associated pipe. The associated header was not used as there was a clearance issue with the stock tire.

NTC3blue anodized shocks with blue springs. they proved to stiff and were later replaced

Silver springs in the rear

Green springs in the front

steel screws were replaced stainless steel whereever possible

Traxxas servos used for throttle/brake duties

Traxxas servo used for steering. servo saver used for protection in order to replace stock associated steering assembly with a MIP ball bearing steering setup.

GPM RC10GT aluminum front axle hubs used. They fit perfectly.

here is the setup. i love the blues but if you notice i used a GT header. This header was later replaced because it did not clear the stock tire. When the suspension compresses the tire rubs onto the hot pipe. I solved this issue on another car by using offset wheels but not in this case. I wish to keep the stock wheels on this project so i replaced it with a duratrax manifold set part # DTX8272. The header exits at a higher angle so the stock tire clears it through its entire suspension cycle. I thank Romulus22 for this fix.

Aluminum suspension mounts and tranny brace used. notice how close the tire is to the header.
Oh by the way, titanium turnbuckles and RPM ball cup ends are used as well.

The 62t spur was later replaced with a 56t spur. As i mention there is a 54 spur waiting for install in order to make this just a little faster, hehehe

here is the present 56/24 setup

Front end

GPM DS dogbones used along with polished cupends.

This is the Duratraxx header part # DTX8272 This clears the tire when the suspension compresses.

Now getting that big engine to fit required some modifying. in order for the header to clear 3 of the heatsink fins had to be removed. you can see above the silicone coupler.

here is a little trick i fingured out and use on most of my nitro setups. I replace one of the engine mount screws with a longer one. This allows me to attach with a small nut a duratrax filter mount and filter. it keeps the filter tucked away between the fuel tank and the aluminum tub wall.

Big power

The Sleeper

Throttle/Brake Linkages, receiver/radio and receiver pack and some body details are only things keeping this from hitting the pavement.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC10DS - 41 Willys

Ah, the nitro Phoenix rizes and screams old school speed....

Your stuff is always clean and well done my friend. Hope you can get some video...
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Thanks Greg,

I still got more in the works but felt this little monster should have its own thread rather than a shared one.

Project DS Lambo is in the works.

Project #77 Challenger is in the works
Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I can smell the nitro from here ......mmmm challenger
Old 07-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I can smell the nitro from here ......mmmm challenger
That might have been my dogs morning land mines

My Goal :Green Challenger

PaleBlue put me up on it so i got the decals from the UK. I snatched an emerald green DS chassis from the bay to start the project off. It will be electric because of the chassis....but i will pour a little nitro on the floor for her and the homies
Old 07-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Nice....that second picture is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca....

Funny, this dog doesn't do the hidden mine thing like the old dog did, male female thing I think. I'd gladly clean up if he was still around.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cool ride, just picked up a NDS in the FS section. Been hunting for quite a while. You wouldn't happen to know if a electric tranny will bolt up, or a electric pan fits? I have either but got out if nitro a while ago and want to do a conversion
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Nice....that second picture is the corkscrew at Laguna Seca....

Funny, this dog doesn't do the hidden mine thing like the old dog did, male female thing I think. I'd gladly clean up if he was still around.
Thanks greg...lets see how close i can get it.

My dog is a funny little dude...and has gotten more vocal...i guess me making dog sounds has got him trying to talk back unfortunately i wake up every morning with land mines on the brain...im glad he only leaves them every blue moon, lol....brown moon is more like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Cool ride, just picked up a NDS in the FS section. Been hunting for quite a while. You wouldn't happen to know if a electric tranny will bolt up, or a electric pan fits? I have either but got out if nitro a while ago and want to do a conversion
Thanks Gula, The electric tranny is different than the nitro tranny. it is more vertical as the nitro is more layed down. the nitro tranny is different as it needs to accommodate the disk brake.

you cant use the electric tub on a nitro because the electric tub does not have the holes required for the gas tank, engine mounts and throttle servo.

my best advice is to stay with what the kit is. Nitro DS should be restored as a nitro ds. Send me a link to your build, i would like to check it out.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I want to convert to electric, got out of nitro a while ago. I gave a black pan chassis that was gonna be for a buggy build but I think I'll just swap the rear bulkhead, put a stealth trans in and Carbon Fiber rear shock tower off an electric. Sell the rest to make some money back
Gula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I want to convert to electric, got out of nitro a while ago. I gave a black pan chassis that was gonna be for a buggy build but I think I'll just swap the rear bulkhead, put a stealth trans in and Carbon Fiber rear shock tower off an electric. Sell the rest to make some money back
The tranny mounting holes are different between the electric and the nitro version. The nitro tranny requires 6 screws to attach it to the chassis while the electric requires only 4. Four of the common screws are also positioned different. On the nitro tranny the screws form a perfect rectangle(symmetrical). On the electric tranny the screws closest to the rear are positioned closer than the other two screws on the front.

Also the rear bulkheads (nitro vs electric)are in different locations so screw holes are different as well.

here is an example.
The pinky chassis is from my nitro DS
the black is from my electric DS.

you can probably still make it work but that would require drilling holes in the chassis in the appropriate locations.

for me personally thats something i wont do...id probably screw up the chassis and lets say i got it perfect the i would have a chassis full of extra holes.

in any case....congrats on finding that NDS.

If you keep a vigilant eye out on ebay you may just get lucky. It took many many months and missed auctions to finally acquire a new in box rc10nds racer kit. Its kit #8075 which includes an OS .12 CV engine with silver square head.

I managed to score a built but never run rc10nds racer kit with engine again but the engine was a thunder tiger .12 engine.

Keep that eye open and you might get surprised.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #11
RCC Addict

This sleeper is still evolving....

I always liked the HPI vintage wheels but i hate gluing tires. Ive been playing around with different style wheels for a while now, never happy...until now

These are a set of RC4WD Mickey Thompson 1.9 Aluminum Beadlock wheels. Awesome!

This ain't your daddy's DS!

Old 09-26-2016, 06:22 AM   #12

That's really sweet! I have thought to myself that those wheels, and some other new releases from RC4WD, would look great on an on-road car. That's true in this case.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
RCC Addict

That is a very cool build, love Willys - nice work documenting the build. Killer wheel choice BTW!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Good to see you back at it Alex Hope all is well

Great wheel choice....

I have the street rod bug! Been looking for tires I can use....I liked the rubber on this rod. I'm looking for a 1.9 tire....RC4wd has some but just nothing that grabbed me. Any other sources you can think of?

Found a 34 Ford I'd like to slam...
Old 12-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

First off to JatoTheRipper, joel122, and my buddy Postclanker...My apologies for the delayed response...did not see these post until today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That's really sweet! I have thought to myself that those wheels, and some other new releases from RC4WD, would look great on an on-road car. That's true in this case.
Thanks JatoTheRipper....Some of the crawler beadlock wheels look awesome with road tires and will work being that they have 12mm hexes. best of all, no gluing the tires. Be mindful of the wheel width. I tried a set that was a little wide and it only distorted the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
That is a very cool build, love Willys - nice work documenting the build. Killer wheel choice BTW!
Thanks Joe122. the Willys went through different sets of wheels before i found these beauties. Although the RC4wd steelies with rally tires aresweet...these set of wheels hit the mark and finally gave the willys body the hotrod look i was looking for.

Quote:
Good to see you back at it Alex Hope all is well

Great wheel choice....

I have the street rod bug! Been looking for tires I can use....I liked the rubber on this rod. I'm looking for a 1.9 tire....RC4wd has some but just nothing that grabbed me. Any other sources you can think of?

Found a 34 Ford I'd like to slam...
Greg, got bit by the road bug huh? I feel your pain, lol. Hope all is well with you as well my friend.

for the 1.9 wheels you can use the HPI road tires for their 26mm wheels. They seem to fit well on the RC4wd beadlocks.

Here is a "X" pattern road tire by HPI.

Here is HPI rally tire on same wheel

Hope this helps!
Old 12-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well....responding this morning has been a challenge....
Photobuckshit won't load....not enough coffee either...

I found an HPI rubber, looks a lot like your X pattern tire you pictured...but the sidewall is really short...tooooo short for me I think, I didn't want a low profile at all....and if I can get the photos to load you'd see. I'm using an old VP wheel...fits nicely with a beadlock rib and all...

Well...I got one to load...

Hopefully you can see it....thanks for replying Alex...stellar details from you as usual ....stay warm my friend
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I like that wheel, SWEEEET! I see what you mean about the low profile look...ive encountered that myself

I like to use the rally tires because they look slightly taller profile than the road tires.

You may want to experiment with the hpi vintage tires. They have the sidewall rubber flap . The beadlock will bite into the inner bead while the outer rubber flap goes over the bead ring. it may or may not work...just something ive been toying with but havent yet tried.

thanks for the compliment! i got more road cars coming!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I see what you mean....I'll check out the rally tires....looks like that might work better. Thanks Alex...

RC10DS - 41 Willys - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
willys 1/6 ( another one ) doudou Large Scale Rigs 15 12-12-2013 11:44 AM
RC10DS Graphite Resto fun!!! theiceman72 Non Crawler RC's 0 03-03-2012 09:33 PM
1:6 Willys jeepinkid83 Large Scale Rigs 9 10-27-2011 11:33 AM
Another 1:6 Willys DonsATV Large Scale Rigs 126 06-02-2011 01:47 PM