Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

Looking real good, Hoosier!, you need to put a Line-Lock on them front wheels to get a good burnout!!
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #22
~THE SCALE SHOP~

Default Re: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

this is awesome. sad to see the hardbody go, but the rig is worth it. cant wait for more.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #23
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudweaver View Post
MAN THAT THING IS SICK!!!!!! Iv been wanting to do the same thing with a solid rear axle and full tube chassis. AWSOME build
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keebler1510 View Post
The truck is really turning out nice. I was planning on doing something similar soon, was thinking of using pan car parts though. I'm guessing u chose the traxxas drag car for ease since the rear end was already ready? I'm mostly curious as to what kv motor you are using and where did u find those tires when I search I keep turning up results of only foam tires

Awesome truck though can't wait to see the running video.
These wheels and tires are from the Traxxas funny car. I'll be selling them off except for the rear wheels/tires due to finding something a little bigger for the front. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in either of the front sets I have. As for the motor, I went with a fairly low KV since I change rigs as often as I do and I wanted to run 4S. I think it was mid 2000kv maybe? I'll take a look next time I do a update. As for the platform, I chose it because it was very close to what I wanted to build from the start. I like the simplicity of the rear axle setup and I could chop off the back half and use it as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looking real good, Hoosier!, you need to put a Line-Lock on them front wheels to get a good burnout!!
That thought has crossed my mind. I thought about a servo driven line lock, but I want to make the hood open via servo so that knocked that option out. I might come up with something else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
this is awesome. sad to see the hardbody go, but the rig is worth it. cant wait for more.
Thanks, me too. But with the scale of the motor and wheels I think that the Ascender body is a better fit. I ordered some Kyosho Scorpion front wheels/tires to step up the size by roughly 1/2". Plus they say Goodyear on them like the back so I think it'll be a better fit for the build. Now I have two sets of front wheels to sell off .
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Man this is wicked!
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #25
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Man this is wicked!
Thanks .

I got a little progress done on the Blazer. Pretty much all I did was decide to cut the hood out and start planning the tilting front clip.

I bought some Kyosho Scorpion wheels and tires for the front. Right away I used a yellow Sharpie to make them match the rear.

I'm thinking it should look sort of like this...

All of my LEDs showed up along with my ESC. Now I'm just waiting on my brackets to finish the body mounts for the sides so I can finish the bumpers and the bracket for the front clip.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:43 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Way to go Hoosier! Vroooom!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I dig the hood excited to see what you do next.
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #28
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Way to go Hoosier! Vroooom!
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I dig the hood excited to see what you do next.
Me too. I think it's going to be a very fun project.

So my plastic L brackets showed up finally. I scuffed them up and primed them in flat black. I left one side unpainted as I could. I'll sand it down to the plastic so I can attach my Velcro for the body sides.

I ordered some U brackets to make hinges from for the front but they won't work so it was back to the drawing board. While swapping out my rear lower links on my JK it hit me. I could use rod ends . The long grub screw threads right into the back of my SSD bumper and will give me a hell of a mounting point for it and the front clip. I'm going to use a total of 8 rod ends to make 4 hinge points for the front clip. I figure that will make things strong enough to handle what little damage the front may end up taking. Plus it should make for a very stable tilting action. I don't want the front clip to be all flimsy and shaky when using the servo to open and close it.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #29
Pebble Pounder

MAN......... MY JAW JUST HIT THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!! I love the tilted front clip. Cant wait to see it finished. If this has already been asked, excuse me, but are you planning on an interior for it?
mudweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:39 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

WOW!!!! Great build . Awesome paint work on the body as always
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:52 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Holy Crap....Sweeet build!

paleblue46 Thanks for the heads up on this!!!
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #32
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudweaver View Post
MAN......... MY JAW JUST HIT THE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!! I love the tilted front clip. Cant wait to see it finished. If this has already been asked, excuse me, but are you planning on an interior for it?
Thanks . It'll get a full interior. It probably wont be a full depth interior as far as a floor board goes but who knows. I've got some video of the hood in action. I'll get it posted as soon as it uploads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleblue46 View Post
WOW!!!! Great build . Awesome paint work on the body as always
Thanks. It's been a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobonyc View Post
Holy Crap....Sweeet build!

paleblue46 Thanks for the heads up on this!!!
Thank you sir
Old 06-26-2015, 09:10 AM   #33
Fan of wheelspeed

Pics and video of the progress.

I used the 8 rod ends and some styrene to mount the front clip.

It fits like this.

I made mounts using delrin and styrene for the radiator. THe lower mounts are delrin and are extended enough to use as the levers for the front clip too.

I picked up some 4-40 all thread and rod ends at my LHS too. It runs in between the upper and lower a-arm.

I'll make a firewall and some support for the fenders to help everything line up on the hood. I'll probably use some small lightweight magnets to help keep the body lines together when it's closed too. They'll have to be strong enough to pull the panels together yet weak enough that the servo can pull them apart without a lot of resistance. I'm also trying to think of a way to dampen the movement to slow down the action to roughly half this speed. Anyway, enough talk...here's the video.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:07 PM   #34

Nice work and I really like the subtle paint. Reminds me of the 81 Corvette Pace Car.
83imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #35
~THE SCALE SHOP~

the 80s called...

and your totally rad
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Too bad there's not a way to put another steering wheel on your transmitter, that way you could control the speed of the hood servo, if you catch my drift
Old 06-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #37
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83imp View Post
Nice work and I really like the subtle paint. Reminds me of the 81 Corvette Pace Car.
Thanks. I tried to keep it somewhat subtle. I wanted a stockish paint scheme and color combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
the 80s called...

and your totally rad
Totally. The beans are definitely cool with this one .

Quote:
Too bad there's not a way to put another steering wheel on your transmitter, that way you could control the speed of the hood servo, if you catch my drift
I gotta figure something out.

I did some wiring last night...

Old 06-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

This is so cool
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Awesome build! I've always liked the square body Chevys.

Look for a servo speed regulator for your tilt servo. They make them for planes to control the landing gear speed.
HoosierClod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:39 PM   #40
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
This is so cool
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierClod View Post
Awesome build! I've always liked the square body Chevys.

Look for a servo speed regulator for your tilt servo. They make them for planes to control the landing gear speed.
Thanks for the heads up on the regulator. I picked one up

I got a little more work done, not much. I picked up some RPM wheel nuts. I had to hollow the fronts out to cover the nuts.

The rears threaded right on. There was enough axle shaft sticking out to use them in front of the wheel nuts.

Told you it was a little work, lol. The biggest issue at hand is mounting the rear bumper and wheelie bar. I need a rear height of 1.5" for the body itself. The delrin is way to flexible back here to use as a mount for anything but the wheelie bar unfortunately. So I've got to figure something out.

Tags
blazer, funny, pro, street, traxxas

The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold my project car and I bought an Ascender! jaydubya2003 Vaterra Ascender 28 04-06-2020 01:56 PM
The Chop Shop- 1990 Class 1 Topless K5 Blazer Hoosierdady 1.9 Scale Rigs 210 04-05-2016 02:49 PM
Traxxas RC Funny car! 1BadJeepBruiser Chit Chat 33 04-11-2012 10:34 AM