Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Cool Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

I've been slowly gathering parts for this for a little while now. I want to build a fat tired, high powered Pro street dragster . I picked up a Traxxas Funny car to use as a basis for the project. I have already ordered a handful of scale items as well as nearly everything else I'll have to use to make this vision a reality. The requirements...it has to be fast, look mean as hell and be somewhat realistic. As you may have guessed it's going to require ALOT of fab work to make this a reality. I'm shooting for a full on scale engine, full interior with a tubbed out rear cargo area, driver, wheelie bars and a ESS one sound module. I have a large sheet of delrin enroute for the chassis pan. The body is on it's way too. Other than that it's just a matter of making it all happen....easy huh . But enough talk, here are some pics.

The original plan was to use a Clod body for this, but it's about a inch to narrow at best.

It's just not going to happen.

I pulled the rear end apart to see if I could narrow it. Short of having someone do some machine work and then rework the housing, it's not going to happen here either.

Any attempt to stretch the body or make things work just looks stupid..

The profile looks cool though. But at this point I decided to buy a Ascender body.

I've got a engine and trans from a Iroc 1/8th scale model to use.

I also ordered a set of custom made headers from Barts Parts.

I whited the block out in preparation for the bright red engine paint.

A little paint work later I ahd this. I have to make some valve covers and a few other things to get the look I want.

I picked up a Tamiya driver for it. I'm not sure how the scale will work, but I'll deal with that down the road.

A few other scale items I'll try to use.

I had to have these Weld racing wheels for the front. I'll paint the rears so they match up.

Big boy 1/8th scale power on 4S should turn the tires.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 06-24-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

What an awesome project! Did you have any trouble contacting Bart's Parts about those headers? I wasn't sure he was still selling them?

Steve
pastimesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender

This sounds very interesting. Subbed.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Oooooooooo I've been waiting to see if someone would build a prostreet with the funny car bits and peices .Can't wait to see this done
gearhead79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastimesteve View Post
What an awesome project! Did you have any trouble contacting Bart's Parts about those headers? I wasn't sure he was still selling them?

Steve
Thanks. Yeah, Bart was hard to get ahold of. Took me over a week and leaving 3 messages but he finally called me back. And yes, he is still selling them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
This sounds very interesting. Subbed.
Thanks, it should be a fun project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
Tagged- You had me at "I've".
lol, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxer View Post
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead79 View Post
Oooooooooo I've been waiting to see if someone would build a prostreet with the funny car bits and peices .Can't wait to see this done
I've been wanting to build on since I saw the funny car a couple years back. Basically I just wanted the wheels and tires under a Clod, lol. But since that won't work I'm going for the Ascender.

The biggest questions at hand are...

* forward tilting hood/clip like the Clod
*regular opening hood
*wild paint scheme with brite colors
*more subtle stockish paint scheme
*take the top off and really go custom
*leave the topper and keep it looking like a normal K5 on steroids.

I was thinking a metallic dark grey and black two tone. But then again I also considered a metallic black, red and white paint scheme with some graphics.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Hey Hoosier there is a guy on ebay selling Clod body dually fenders and stepside kits. I saw them and thought about this build. I don't know if his work is as good as yours but it may be worth a look. I'll pm you the link.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 05-29-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Looks to be an interesting build, I'll be following this
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #8
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
Hey Hoosier there is a guy on ebay selling Clod body dually fenders and stepside kits. I saw them and thought about this build. I don't know if his work is as good as yours but it may be worth a look. I'll pm you the link.
Yeah, he's a vendor on here too. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Looks to be an interesting build, I'll be following this
Thanks, it should be fun.

I did some detail work on the engine last night. I also made some valve covers out of styrene. Turned out pretty good I think.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

It's crazy,just as you start this thread,I was cruising around town last night and theres a guy cruising in an orange pro street k5 blazer. Harley orange with a thin black stripe on the sides and black wheels.didnt sound like much for a motor.

Is there a chance you can make the topper removable?and maybe make some caging for when you don't want the top on.
And maybe do more of a stock ish/no crazy graphics paint job.the lines of those trucks are so straight and timeless,it might complicate the overall look of a very clean/straight line truck.
And definitely do a tilt hood I think.

Whatever route you go it's gonna come out sick!!!!!!!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
Fan of wheelspeed

So I have some progress to report. I've been working away on this as time allows. I installed my headers after a little modification to the mounting plate, made an electric water pump, pulleys and used a rubber band for the blower belt.

The Ascender body showed up finally. I decided on a subtle black and Gun metal paint scheme with a red pinstripe.

After removing the liquid mask I shot some Spaztix chrome on the trim and detailed it out with a fine point Sharpie. Since these pics were uploaded I've finished the grill and got it mounted up. I'll get some more pics uploaded this weekend after work.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed
mikro383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

whatever you do, dont drive it once done lol. Stock on 3s they are sketchy
lsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #14
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikro383 View Post
Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsone View Post
whatever you do, dont drive it once done lol. Stock on 3s they are sketchy
What about modified on 4S??? It'll have a pan chassis. That alone will add a ton of stability to the rig. I have a sheet of delrin that's 12" wide and 20" long to custom make it from.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

KILLER paint job!!!!!!! It's really turning out sick
Old 06-06-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Are the front wheels too small?
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #17
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead79 View Post
KILLER paint job!!!!!!! It's really turning out sick
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Are the front wheels too small?
Seems like it huh? They're a 2.0" wheel, so it scales out to be around a 18" wheel with the overall size of this body.

I got some door panels printed up by a friend of mine on Facebook. He's making them for these and the Clodbuster too. Right now he's scaling up his Clodbuster dash to make some for the Ascender too.

They'll get trimmed and worked over once I get to the interior.

I chopped up the funny car chassis and got the parts I need for the new chassis pan. I covered the delrin in masking tape to help protect it while I was cutting. Should go a little something like this.

My SSD front bumper showed up. The rear is on order. I'll affix the rear to the chassis. The front will get attached to the front clip with some hinges on each end to allow it to tilt forward.

I flipped the front spindles to gain some ride height and also added some 1/4" spacers to get a little more lift out of the front end. I also bent the chassis ends upwards to help fit the contour of the bottom of this Ascender body. I have some more delrin coming to make side panels and braces out of.

The overall feel.... I'm still waiting on some more LEDs to come in so I can light everything up on the body. Once I get the mounts lined out for the body itself I'll get started on making the front clip move. I'm still trying to decide if I want to do a servo on it or just move it by hand. Right now I'm thinking servo.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #18
Fan of wheelspeed

I got a lot of work done last night thanks to my assistant Jack Daniels. I got the front end mounted. It sat really high so I pulled the 1/4" spacers out. I made some engine mounts out of some 2 part poly resin I have and glued/screwed that badboy in place. I plan on mounting the servo under the trans.

At this height the blower and scoop should just poke out from underneath the hood. I have to say that I'm not real happy with how the headers turned out. I may try to make a different collector to put the exhaust out of the front wheel wells.

I've got a lot of brackets and delrin coming to do my body and bumper mounts as well as a bunch of wire to make some plug wires and finish up the rest of the wiring for the faux engine.

She's looking mean as hell so far.

A big boy sensored 1/8th motor on 4S should get the tires turning.

It definitely added some weight to the back. Wheelies shouldn't be a issue for sure.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

MAN THAT THING IS SICK!!!!!! Iv been wanting to do the same thing with a solid rear axle and full tube chassis. AWSOME build
mudweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

The truck is really turning out nice. I was planning on doing something similar soon, was thinking of using pan car parts though. I'm guessing u chose the traxxas drag car for ease since the rear end was already ready? I'm mostly curious as to what kv motor you are using and where did u find those tires when I search I keep turning up results of only foam tires

Awesome truck though can't wait to see the running video.

Last edited by keebler1510; 06-11-2015 at 08:21 PM.
keebler1510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blazer, funny, pro, street, traxxas

The Chop Shop- Pro Street K5 Blazer Project - Traxxas funny car meets Ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold my project car and I bought an Ascender! jaydubya2003 Vaterra Ascender 28 04-06-2020 01:56 PM
The Chop Shop- 1990 Class 1 Topless K5 Blazer Hoosierdady 1.9 Scale Rigs 210 04-05-2016 02:49 PM
Traxxas RC Funny car! 1BadJeepBruiser Chit Chat 33 04-11-2012 10:34 AM