Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: LS V8, Turbo'd, widebody Hilux drift truck. Phew...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2015, 05:40 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default LS V8, Turbo'd, widebody Hilux drift truck. Phew...

Been drifting for a while now and have decided that I want to build a scaler drift truck. Mostly because I needed a new body...

Car is based off a vaterra v100. Did some mods for drifting. Camber, toe, steering angle mods, locked rear diff, brushless power, etc.

Enough talking onto the pictures.

Started off as the challenger on the right. But thanks to a few guys who like to run their short course trucks on the carpet track, the body is toast now.

So I bought this.

Few problems right off the bat. It's a crawler body. It's 1.3 inches too long. It's made to stuff 1.9s so the fender openings are way too big. Might be heavy with future mods. Oh well more power.

So next I just decided to cut it up.

Plenty of room for an LS.

Next problem. It's a 4wd body. 4WD Toyota's had the larger openings and the flared fenders. 2wd had a smaller opening and no flares. Let's fix that.

Oh no.

Stick this in there.
covered it in tape to give it a better look. More of an idea of what it'll look like. It's not quite right.

So I opened the opening up a little and made it higher on the fender which will also help accommodate with the low low.

Mucho better.

Future plans. Rocket bunny?

Ran out of styrene so I'll be picking up some more today and working on it more over the long weekend!
BigChevyTruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default LS V8, Turbo'd, widebody Hilux drift truck. Phew...

Not to bash, but back in the day a buddy of mine took a Nissan 4wd hardbody and tucked a set of deep dish gold spokes. Looked good.

Yours is looking good as well.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: LS V8, Turbo'd, widebody Hilux drift truck. Phew...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Not to bash, but back in the day a buddy of mine took a Nissan 4wd hardbody and tucked a set of deep dish gold spokes. Looked good.

Yours is looking good as well.
No kidding. Sounds Badass. I have a thing for minitrucks. This is my 1:1 toy.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You pulled off the big wheels well.

In the '90s I had a regular cab '86 d50, Mitzu built. 2" all around drop and some bump. Now just a Vdub and a 4x4 Taco.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
You pulled off the big wheels well.

In the '90s I had a regular cab '86 d50, Mitzu built. 2" all around drop and some bump. Now just a Vdub and a 4x4 Taco.
Dub looks good! Yeah those wheels are viper staggered wheels. Same bolt pattern believe it or not. Dropped 6/7.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys. Update. Got more styrene today and decided to do the fender in .080" sheet rather than the .060" that I had. So I went and redunnit. Very happy with how it came out before bodywork. About an hour of bodywork, then primer, and a final sand and it'll be ready for paint. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. Here's a few pictures then I'm off to chop up some more stuff.

This is the new thicker piece of styrene. I needed to add the curve of the doors and previous fender.

Quarters added for weight to help it bend when I apply heat.

Not bad for a rookie.

Then added a .010" thick piece on the back to help with reinforcement.

Ohh she got the poke now.

Overfenders might be needed...

Off to cut up the other side. I'll be back!
Old 11-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Got the other fender finished last night. Came out good but the second one never comes out as good as the first! Not too many pictures because it's the same process as the first side.
Cuttin'em.

New wheel well in.

Wide now.

Might make some hood hinges today after I stuff my face with some turkey. Or I might sleep. We will see! Have a good thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Update! Little bit of work done today. Nothing crazy. Spent most of the day with family.

Anyone here who is an experienced body man, or anyone who has ever done body work on a real vehicles know that you get the look you're trying to achieve with metal first, as close as you can, and then use body filler to perfect it. So I was staring at the fenders today and realized I dont want to make the bodylines with icing (aka finishing body filler) so I decided to pull out some strip styrene and add some to the fenders to make the bodylines.

Okay enough of that. The rest can be perfected with icing.

So next I decided to tackle some hood hinges so I can show off that big turbo LS motor.
Made a sketch.

Then I just cut them out and put notches in the hood for them to sit in, and started applying the styrene glue.

Going to keep applying more glue until it looks like the hood and the hinge is fused together pretty well, then I'm going to make a brace for it to make it stronger, then I will worry about the pivot point on the cowl of the truck. That's all for now. Hope to get some more done tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Small amount of work done last night. Got the fenders both roughed out in icing. Pretty close to where they need to be.

Bagged yota?

Spread a little more putty where it was needed on the right side fender. Gorgeous day today so I'm not sure how much will get done. Thats all for now.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

looking good I can appreciate the work but what about all the fender swapping when I had my 92 Nissan we would all switch to 4wd fenders and chevy wheels
fullsizecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsizecrawler View Post
looking good I can appreciate the work but what about all the fender swapping when I had my 92 Nissan we would all switch to 4wd fenders and chevy wheels
I'm mainly doing the fender swap because the 4wd fenders made the wheels and tires look lost. Way too big. But I plan on opening up the wheel well a little more. And then doing widebody, much like a rocket bunny setup.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well. Got a delivery from the speed shop.

The LS1 showed up in the mail today.
Looks just a tad small but once I get the inner fenders in the truck, the turbo with all its piping, the interviewer, and the core support, it'll look right at home.

First off, had to do the passenger side header flip so I can mount the turbo when it arrives.

Flipped and installed.

It's a tight fit under there.

Looks good though.

Just waiting on the turbo now.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Gotta love them LS motors! Nice styrene work so far. Diggin the F100 paint scheme as well. I did something similar a few months ago. Love that patina job.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Gotta love them LS motors! Nice styrene work so far. Diggin the F100 paint scheme as well. I did something similar a few months ago. Love that patina job.
Thanks! Just something I threw together a while back. Was going to run it on the drift car but it didn't look right. Love your builds!

Old 11-28-2015, 03:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Frickin sweet, I'm partial to the ls. There are a few twin turbo ls cars in our area running around our area that I've had a part in building. There's nothing like them for the abuse they can take.

What kind of puddy are you using for finishing/ filler?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
LamChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamChop View Post
Frickin sweet, I'm partial to the ls. There are a few twin turbo ls cars in our area running around our area that I've had a part in building. There's nothing like them for the abuse they can take.

What kind of puddy are you using for finishing/ filler?

Thanks man. It wouldve had a hemi if I could have found a new gen 1/10 hemi. But I couldn't so I had to sacrifice for the LS.. I'll be the first to admit the LS motors are nearly indestructible. I'm just a mopar guy myself.

As far as putty goes, I'm using USC body filler. Meant for final step body filler on 1:1 Cars. Spreads very easily, and sands easier. The putty itself is white. It looks red because of the amount of hardener I put in it while mixing.
This stuff.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Update! Got some stuff done on the driftaaaaahhhhh. First things first. I got a turbo.

Pretty simple to mount. Took the rear cover off. Pulled out the brass pin that held the compressor wheel on. Drilled out the compressor wheel and rear cover to fit some small styrene tube in there tightly.
You can see the styrene tube pressed in the center of the compressor wheel.

Then out the rear cover.

Then I drilled a corresponding size hole in the exhaust manifold.

Then I just filled the hole in the exhaust manifold with styrene glue and trimmed the styrene tube to where I wanted the turbo to sit, then slid the tube into the manifold.

That's all for now. Working on it some more tonight. Comments concerns?

P.S. Im slightly disappointed that there isn't an exhaust turbine housing. Not cool.

Last edited by BigChevyTruckin; 11-28-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Effed it all up.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamChop View Post
We could never be friends lol jk

Looks awesome

Haha, have you seen my 1:1?

Actually have a vanity plate on the way, it says LSHAHA...
Doing 360 Turbo setup here soon. 360 5 speed currently. Fun truck.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Okay got some more done.
Took off the foam bumper. Decided to make something to mount the intercooler I haven't made yet. But no problem in being prepared!

Then decided to double up on the .080" styrene to add some strength.

Then cut it out and glued it on.

Then I decided I'd work more on the hood hinges. Want to reinforce them, but didn't want the reinforcements to look plain and average. Need the racekor look.

Then I added some little triangle pieces running parallel with the hinge itself.

Added them on both sides of the hinge but didn't take any pictures. My fault.

Then I added the actual pivot points on the cowl of the truck. I used some old parts of a traxxas receiver box. Then drilled some holes, and slide in some styrene tube, then glued it. Then I glued them to the cowl of the truck. I then put corresponding holes in the hinges on the hood, and made it like a quick remove hood. Open it, and slide it to the side and it comes off. When the hood is shut, it's not going anywhere.

Here is a shot of how the turbo fits under the hood. It sticks up about halfway the height of the turbo. That's quite alright with me, nothing wrong with a little turbo sticking out the hood. Tomorrow's project will be cutting the hood to fit the turbo.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!
Old 11-28-2015, 08:35 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Gonna look sick dude! I've been trying to get into drifting. I picked up a MSD ms01d a few months ago and I'm getting better at holding my slides.
Atchley is offline   Reply With Quote

LS V8, Turbo'd, widebody Hilux drift truck. Phew... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 drift truck neon9 Non Crawler RC's 3 10-05-2015 08:56 PM
my new drift truck briansbodies Non Crawler RC's 20 06-13-2010 04:01 PM
Anyone else in colorado own a Turbo'd Dodge? TwistedXT Chit Chat 10 11-09-2006 07:35 PM