Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 07:16 PM   #181
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

That money shot is excellent. This truck can out great.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #182
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
That money shot is excellent. This truck can out great.
Thanks, bud I am super pleased with the way it's turning out.
Thanks for helping talk me into building it. If not for you and joe' (and a couple others ) she might not even exist.
And she damned sure is a LOT of FUN.

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:46 AM   #183
RCC Addict

Outstanding, bad ass and awesome! Great shots, I'll bet when you hatched this build, you had no idea how cool the outcome would be. Very impressed.....how you gonna top this one?
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:48 AM   #184
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Outstanding, bad ass and awesome! Great shots, I'll bet when you hatched this build, you had no idea how cool the outcome would be. Very impressed.....how you gonna top this one?
Thank You, Sir it only took me about 350 shots (1/2 sec. time lapse, so 6 whole minutes of shots) to get these.
You're right .... I NEVER imagined that the boat trailer would lead to this, or that it would be so MUCH fun, both the build AND the driving.
As I told rarebuilder, Thanks for helping talk me into it. If not for you guys and the people around here, she sure wouldn't be turning out this way.
I'm still kind of scratching my head for the next project .... I need to finish out my Sno-Cat and winter is around the corner ..... who knows.
And hey, I'm still not DONE with this one .... yet.

Thanks again to everyone for the help, inspiration and interest.
Gotta love this site and this hobby!!

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 07-31-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:32 PM   #185
Quarry Creeper

Its not that your other truck wasn't good enough for the boat. It is just that the boat needed a really cool rig to make it even look better. I have enjoyed the progress and evolution that the build took. Would like to see pics of the sno-cat it has got to be awesome as well.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #186
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Its not that your other truck wasn't good enough for the boat. It is just that the boat needed a really cool rig to make it even look better. I have enjoyed the progress and evolution that the build took. Would like to see pics of the sno-cat it has got to be awesome as well.
Thank You, Sir I still love Punky too, but the 'Jockey is a bit more "dressed for the dance", huh. The "alter-ego" is an exciting bonus.
I'm definitely slow with the build progress, but the 'Cat has been back-burner'd so many times .... the snow just doesn't last long enough here for me to stick with it very long. But, here it is as of now.... kinda shaggy, but it keeps the snow out ...

I call her Vanessa's "Ice-Box" I split it that way to give me easy access to start her.

I like nitro rigs, but it is a pain sometimes .... but it is fun, so I do need to clean up the body cut and get some paint on her. She's a little different than most of 'em. Like all my rigs, I guess.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #187
Quarry Creeper

That thing is pretty cool. I like nitro too but with way the brushless motors are it is just easier and takes less items to bring out to get it running.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #188
Rock Crawler

Yeah, I was checkin' out "snapon boy"s 'Cat before (sweeeet ), and considered doing a conversion. I just don't run it that often anyway and for those short sessions, I like the noise and smoke and such. I have a Revo 3.3 also, to satisfy my nitro appetite.
But for now, the 'Jockey still has most of my attention.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-01-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #189
Rock Crawler

Just posted these in the "Who's driving your scale ..." thread too. I was feeling kind of comical today, so I added a driver. LOL

The Rabbids are some of my favorite characters.

And I was out doing burnouts in the dust on the porch, so I thought this guy was appropriate.

They say your mind goes as you get old.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #190
RCC Addict

Hummmm.......citation - officer, I do not see the driver strapped into that awesome 5 pt harness or wearing a helmet! And doing burnouts! Busted!!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #191
Rock Crawler

Private Property, Sir Thank you , officer and have a nice evening, Sir.

not on the highway .... NO sir !

well .... yet

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-01-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #192
Quarry Creeper

That driver just fits your style perfectly. Love the burnout great action shot.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #193
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That driver just fits your style perfectly. Love the burnout great action shot.
Thanks Yeah, I think those little guys are hilarious.
I just fastened this guy to one of the extra steering wheels (with a jewelry-pin prop to help him "fly" ) ....

.... so I can pop him in or out without messin' up the interior.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #194
Rock Crawler

I've been busy this weekend, but I did get her "heart transplant" done. The Leopard motor is plenty fast enough, but it's just a 2-pole.

I went back with a 3300kv, but it's a 4-pole, so it should improve the brakes and bottom end power. (and it's blue )
I'll try to test-drive her tomorrow.

Someone nearby is building a wheel-stander, so I thought I'd post up some spec's on the Coffin Jockey ..... in case someone is curious.
When the wheelie pic' above was taken .... it was set-up with 2 - 3S's and 8oz. of lead-shot at the rear on the small platform .... and full interior.
She weighs in (that way) at 5-lbs/5.5 oz. (with the opposite end supported level with the scale ...) the weight-bias shows the rear tires get 3-lbs/14-oz. or 72% and the front weighs in at 1-lb/7.5oz. or 28%
The 3300kv (2-pole in the pic') is driving an overall 18:1 gear ratio .... a 3:1 GRU (10T pinion / 30T spur) into a final 6:1 drop (10T pinion / 60T spur)
That's rolling rear tires that are 3-5/8" (90mm) tall and 2" (50mm) wide. The wheels are wrapped with Duct-tape (Gorilla) so the tires don't compress at all. Oh, and it's a 10-1/4" (260mm) wheelbase.

We'll see if it carries the nose any farther with the 4-pole ....

.... and I've started mapping out a camera mount in the interior, so a ride along is coming soon .....
same Bat-time .... same Bat-channel

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-07-2016 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #195
Rock Crawler

Well, it's taken a few days, the weather's been from rain to 100+ deg. heat-index, but I got the camera set-up mounted into the 'Jockey.
I pulled out the seats and made an aluminum "Z" bracket that uses the seat screw to hold it in.

Then I made an "L" for the transmitter. The cam's record start/stop button is on top, so I loosely taped a stack of small wood blocks to the top that rise to within 1mm or so of the lexan roof.

Now I can just press on the roof to start/stop recording. I had trouble with the micro-SD card, and after the first few test vid's, I couldn't decode and view anything it recorded. But after re-formatting it, it seems to work .... but I'm still only recording one or two videos at a time.
Here's a "selfie", so you'll know where you'll be sitting.

Now, buckle in, and grab a handful of steering wheel .... (sorry, I still don't know for sure which link to use ... bear with me)

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...pse02fjznm.mp4

or

Anyway, that's with the 60t spur. I wasn't really happy with the wheelies, so I put in the 54t, and tried again. It all happens pretty fast, but if you pause it just right you can catch the hood pointing up for the first few feet.
OK , here we go again ......

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psjaucbtux.mp4

or

HEY, why didn't you hit the BRAKES !? Actually, the pinion came loose right out of the hole after that last turn-around. I don't think you can hear it, but a truck topped the hill behind the 'Jockey at the same time as the pinion came loose. So I tried to steer to the "safe-zone" by my feet, but with the loose gear there were no brakes (those disc's are WORTHLESS ) and I almost hit me, I mean, YOU almost hit me .

Anyway .... hope you liked riding into the ditch.

....and at least grass is easy on lexan, so no harm done.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-12-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: duurrrr
Old 08-12-2016, 11:56 PM   #196
Quarry Creeper

That is really cool view from the inside of the cab. Looks just like the camera angles in real 1to1s.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:46 AM   #197
RCC Addict

Yep, you can tell that it's yanking the wheels.....very cool videos. Just keeps getting better!
Old 08-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #198
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That is really cool view from the inside of the cab. Looks just like the camera angles in real 1to1s.
Thanks, I tried to get it "driver's eye view" as good as possible. I wanted a bit more dash visible, but the camera is almost touching the back-glass now. My 1:1's cab was tight too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Yep, you can tell that it's yanking the wheels.....very cool videos. Just keeps getting better!
Thanks, I had made a few passes by the time I shot that last one so the bat's were resting at 10.6v. I should be able to get some more hang-time with a fresh charge ..... we'll see.

I laugh every time I watch that second one. Nearly "running over" the driver just cracks me up.
Anyway ....
each video has a scale quarter-mile run, between the "turn-arounds". I measured off 132-ft and painted little white stripes in the highway. ( don't tell DOT ) If you look closely in the vids, you can see the white marks on the center-stripes. I'm standing at the "1/8th mile" mark.
The first run, with the 60t spur is about a 6 sec' ET. (on the clock, both runs start around the 8 second mark) The 6 tooth drop in the second run cuts about 2 seconds off of the ETs, and carries the nose about twice as far. It doesn't last long, but if you consider that it covers about 30-ft each second, it's wheelies cover around 8-10 ft. in the first "one-thou ...."
Oh, and let me state for the record ..... GYROS DON'T LIKE WHEELIES !
If it steers ever-so-slightly to the side, while the front wheels are up, it keeps trying to correct until it sets back down .... and can put you in the ditch.
....at least the ditch is grass, fowl but no harm. ....always somethin'.

Thanks for lookin'

.... and stay tuned.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 08-13-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: old fart .... brain fart
Old 08-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #199
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
how nice!
I liked this thread. You are a great artist.
very good work. Congratulations
_sOnGoKu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM   #200
RCC Addict

Awesome work, awesome F100 !!!
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girly grave robber extreme Paint and Body 14 07-13-2009 06:11 PM
Grave Robber for crawler rr14 Paint and Body 14 01-27-2009 08:49 AM
grave robber NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 4 01-25-2009 04:48 PM