Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM   #221
Rock Crawler

Default Re: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

I had to go to town to bid a small job, and I took the 'Jockey and the Anne Darling with me (to show a buddy, and ....) so on the way home I stopped by one of the local lakes and, with a bit of luck, found a decent spot for some pic's. So (drumroll, please) here's the Coffin Jockey serving her originally intended purpose.

.... and with the Anne Darling stealing the spotlight.

.... then the camera batteries died .... and the other camera was dead too. I had everything to put the boat into the water and light 'em both up for an "off the trailer" shot .... well all but spare batt's for the darn cameras.

Maybe next time .....

dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #222
RCC Addict

Man they look good together! Great shot.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #223
Quarry Creeper

Now that is one good looking toy hauler. They do look good together. Nice job.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #224
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Man they look good together! Great shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Now that is one good looking toy hauler. They do look good together. Nice job.
Many Thanks, Gentlemen Six months ago, I didn't expect everything that it turned into ....
I think it has been time well spent.

.... and so MUCH fun.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:45 PM   #225
Rock Crawler

Got one of the final details in today. I made up a strap and buckle set-up and got the fire extinguisher installed.

I figured strapped to the middle roll-bar pipe would be out of the way, but easy to get if you need it.

It's one of those little things that catches your eye.
And the Safety Safari likes it at the track.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #226
RCC Addict

Noce touch! And extremely well detailed....awesome!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #227
I wanna be Dave

Amazing work as usual! Truly appreciate your time and effort

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #228
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Noce touch! And extremely well detailed....awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapon boy View Post
Amazing work as usual! Truly appreciate your time and effort

149 r/c worx team driver
Thanks, I really enjoy workin' out the little details ..... kinda like you guys.

Happy to share.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:13 PM   #229
Rock Crawler

Well, I've been a bit side-tracked the past couple of weeks, but I did get a little time to mess with the 'Jockey. I've been trying to find the right driver, tried "Racing Miku" ..... nice, but too small. Then tried the KillerBody "driver" .... also too small. :-( Then I was surfing the 'bay and found one I like .... cute gal ... twenty-something ... runs around in a black cat-suit.

Whooops, that's Teeny, "the Boss" around here. The description is accurate, but she won't fit in the truck.
Here's Selina Kyle ...

.... better known as "Catwoman".

I'm kind of partial to black cats .... and I've always been a sucker for a woman in a low-cut jump-suit.

She fits really well, holds the steering wheel and the shifter ....

.... but, she's a long legged little lady, and my floor-pan is shallow, so I had to cut the firewall (or amputate her feet) to give her enough legroom.

I've already boxed-in an extension, wish I could've done that to my 1:1 years ago
I also snagged a Traxxas DTS-1 Drag racing system on ebay for $35, I wish some of you guys lived nearby. And I just ordered a new toy today that may lead to my next CRAAAAZY project.

I'm not saying more right now .... but, soon.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #230
Rock Stacker

just great friend! really nice work
_sOnGoKu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #231
Rock Crawler

Thank You , it's more fun than work.

and good therapy ... to help keep me insane.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:54 AM   #232
RCC Addict

And just how are you going to top this build? Now your teasing...looking forward to the next one, the details on this were so damn cool!
Old 10-17-2016, 07:12 PM   #233
Rock Crawler

Quote:
And just how are you going to top this build? Now your teasing...looking forward to the next one, the details on this were so damn cool!
Thanks This one has just been SO much fun! You're kind of contagious with the detail stuff. Hood-pins will look good on your Chevy 2 Much (and Thanks for the "plug". ) I don't know if I can top the 'Jockey, but I may build her a racing trailer ... or a camper .... I can't crank 'em out like some of you guys, tho'.
But, before another trailer, here's a hint at what I have in mind for the next project.

It may take a little while, first I need to build the Honda and get the feel of the bike technology. After some play time, I should know how feasible (or totally insane ) the idea is ....
and know what parts I can use and what I'll need to fab'.

It'll take a bit of head-scratchin', and some magic .... but I like a challenge .... and FUN FUN fun .... on ONE wheel ??
OH YEAH !!

We'll see ....... cross your fingers.

jim
Old 10-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #234
Rock Crawler

Well, I picked up an Ipod touch to link up with the DTS-1 and I've been monkeying with it. I ordered some telemetry sensors for the 'Jockey too, so she'll be back soon.
Meanwhile I've made some progress with the Kyosho bike. Talk about a DIFFERENT little creature! Before I started building, I sprung for the chrome frame set (around $15).

I just got the forks assembled and the front wheel on, and I still haven't wrapped my head around the steering technology. It's the "hang-on rider" version, so the rider "leans" on the funky arms sticking up thru the seat, and the steering head pivots to tilt the forks side to side. The steering/rider servo is on top under the "tank" and doesn't really do any left-to-right steering, it just leans the rider and forks.

I think it should be feasible to widen a swing-arm and use the chain drive for a big slick, wider frame set-up will hold a nice brushless motor. Most all of the parts are available in aluminum, so the trans' set-up should be workable for a pro-stocker ..... the steering is still a big question mark, but I'll get a better feel of that when I get the Honda rolling.
I didn't take any pic's during the early assembly, but it will get a complete tear-down for paint and mods, and if the pro-stock idea looks to be good I'll prolly post a new thread for it.

Thanks for checkin' it out ....

Old 10-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #235
RCC Addict

Now that's different....going to be fun to watch. Have you considered a dedicated thread for the bike Jim?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:47 AM   #236
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Now that's different....going to be fun to watch. Have you considered a dedicated thread for the bike Jim?
Hey, Scott Yep, it's REALLY different! But pretty cool so far. I kind of jumped the light and got to this stage before I took any pic's or anything, but I plan to start a new thread for it when I tear it back down. It will need some paint and I'm already drooling for some hop-ups. The whole bike can be stepped up to aluminum, but the budget says I gotta be selective.
As long as I don't crash it and trash it, it could be a fun project. Then a Pro-stock version will be a really fun challenge.
With guys like you building such awesome rigs, it's kinda tough to come up with something "different" ..... but I think this one may qualify.

I just installed some of the telemetry sensors in the 'Jockey, now my "Dash" on the Ipod shows voltage and motor temp. I gotta figure out where and how to hook up the Tach' next.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #237
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
Hey, Scott Yep, it's REALLY different! But pretty cool so far. I kind of jumped the light and got to this stage before I took any pic's or anything, but I plan to start a new thread for it when I tear it back down. It will need some paint and I'm already drooling for some hop-ups. The whole bike can be stepped up to aluminum, but the budget says I gotta be selective.
As long as I don't crash it and trash it, it could be a fun project. Then a Pro-stock version will be a really fun challenge.
With guys like you building such awesome rigs, it's kinda tough to come up with something "different" ..... but I think this one may qualify.

I just installed some of the telemetry sensors in the 'Jockey, now my "Dash" on the Ipod shows voltage and motor temp. I gotta figure out where and how to hook up the Tach' next.
Really like this bike build. The option parts, aluminum bits give it more realism. And yes a Pro Stock bike version, or a modified by the "Dr." version would be killer! Looking forward to more updates!
Old 11-06-2016, 04:24 PM   #238
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Really like this bike build. The option parts, aluminum bits give it more realism. And yes a Pro Stock bike version, or a modified by the "Dr." version would be killer! Looking forward to more updates!
Thanks joe' I think it's gonna be fun. I got the little-bitty ESC for it yesterday, so I hope to get it rolling this week.
Meanwhile, back to the star of this thread. I'm sure some of you are thinking "... what else can he DO to this truck?" Well, modern technology gives us the answer. I put in telemetry sensors for the Traxxas receiver, so now the truck has a gyro you can adjust from the TX, AND a full, working dashboard. (well kind of ) Anyway, the temp' was simple .... just a loop sensor to wrap around the motor (or battery). The volt meter was easy too, just soldered a tap-wire into the pos' lead for the ESC.

Now the tach'/speedo' was a bit more of a trick. I had gotten a sensor set for a T Maxx, so I chopped the socket for the rpm sensor off of it's mount ...

and (after a little filing) I epoxied it into the GRU.

I wanted to get it as close to the gear as I could, so I shimmed it with paper and glued it snug. With the paper removed, It had a nice, close fit without binding. The sensor goes right in.

Then came the magnet, which is the trigger for the rpm sensor. I filed a flat on the hub area (opposite from the set-screw) so I could keep the mag' out of the teeth. I have some little 1/8 x 1/16 neodymium magnets, so I drilled a 1/8 hole into the gear face and inset a magnet to flush.

First trial .... first error. One magnet wasn't strong enough .... but the gear is 3/16 thick, so ...... tear it back down, drill all the way thru, and stack 3 magnets together and hold them with a drop of CA, and ....

We have "Lift-Off".
...... and the "kind of" I mentioned earlier is that the "dash" is on my Ipod Touch. But still ....

As I've said, I'm an old school old fart, but sometimes technology is TOO COOL !!

Old 11-08-2016, 08:05 PM   #239
Rock Crawler

I finished another little update that I've been wanting to do for some time now .....

.... let's see whose been paying attention.

I did a bench test on the bike today too. I still need to install the electrics, but it was cool to see the rear wheel spin.

Thanks for still lookin'

Old 11-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #240
I wanna be Dave

Extremely overwhelmed at all the hard work and time. Keep it up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote

F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girly grave robber extreme Paint and Body 14 07-13-2009 06:11 PM
Grave Robber for crawler rr14 Paint and Body 14 01-27-2009 08:49 AM
grave robber NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 4 01-25-2009 04:48 PM