Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2016, 09:41 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

The bars look like they are controlling your front end lift just right. You have some good speed going also. Smokin' burnout would look good.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2016, 12:03 PM   #62
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=Bmxreeves;5479212]I want to see a big ass burnout! Just smoke those tires... Lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
The bars look like they are controlling your front end lift just right. You have some good speed going also. Smokin' burnout would look good.
Thanks and ... Patience, Grasshoppers OK, I'll see what I can do. The 3S's should be here first of the week.

I tore into her this morning, and while I had her apart I put a little longer spacers in the front of the wheelie's to see how a little more lift works. I can change it really easily, so I'm gonna monkey with it a little.
A burnout should be easy too, I can put the battery up front to change the weight transfer. I have some small bags of lead shot (3, 4, 5, and 8oz. ea.) that I can use too.

Oh, and I decided to change the name too (I forgot about the HPI hearse body when I first named it) I've been calling it the "Coffin Jockey". I heard it on SpongeBob the other day and I LIKED it, sounds a little more "racer" too.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-03-2016 at 12:05 PM.
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #63
Rock Crawler

I moved the 4oz weight to the nose and carried her down to the highway for a quick try for a burnout, here's the vid'.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psvg3cs8fd.mp4

Then, after I moved the weight back to the rear-end for some more wheelies, I tried a couple on the slick concrete front porch.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psnilpe4vb.mp4

I thought it was just spinning, but after framing thru, I see it wheelie too.
It does need some kind of front brake to do better burnouts. I'll try again when the "nitrous" lipo's show up.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

you are just getting to much traction. Need to be able to get the rear tires to break loose. But it does look like fun to drive.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

I know how to do a burnout... Put a brick in front of the car, and STAB IT!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
you are just getting to much traction. Need to be able to get the rear tires to break loose. But it does look like fun to drive.
Yeah, I may have to "tub" the rear wheels so I can roll thru a puddle and loosen it up. But it IS fun to drive. I'm kinda re-learning on-road as I learn to "drag" too.

[QUOTE=Bmxreeves;5479581]I know how to do a burnout... Put a brick in front of the car, and STAB IT!

Hey, now, I already flipped it and scratched up the back edge of the roof. I don't need to skin up the bumper too.

But.... the "NOS" lipo's showed up this afternoon. I got home too late to mess with 'em, though. I'll try 'em soon, and shoot a vid'.
I started machining a hitch for the receiver this morning, something a little different (big surprise, not), since the drop-hitch I had on my crawler has waaaay too much drop for this truck. Got the nuts JB'd into the chassis for the wheelies also, so they'll be that much easier to remove/install.
I can't complain about the way she plays "Pro-Streeter", so now I'm working on the "boat-puller" persona. Need to detail the body too, and figure out what to do with the scratches.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:05 AM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
I moved the 4oz weight to the nose and carried her down to the highway for a quick try for a burnout, here's the vid'.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psvg3cs8fd.mp4

Then, after I moved the weight back to the rear-end for some more wheelies, I tried a couple on the slick concrete front porch.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psnilpe4vb.mp4

I thought it was just spinning, but after framing thru, I see it wheelie too.
It does need some kind of front brake to do better burnouts. I'll try again when the "nitrous" lipo's show up.
This build is just awesome....great assembly skills and the bang for the buck factor is off the charts cool.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
This build is just awesome....great assembly skills and the bang for the buck factor is off the charts cool.
Thanks a tank-full, This thing started as a half-hearted plan, but it has REALLY turned into a TON of fun! The build as much as driving her!

To update, I got a hitch machined from a piece of aluminum rod. I wanted something a bit different.

She hooks up pretty nicely, with room for a bumper (when I get THAT figured out). Had to shorten the chains so they don't drag.

I did a little "stair-step" cut on top and bottom of the hitch. You can see it in the reflection here.

Also, this past weekend I made a plate for the rear to hold the body mounts and to box-up the whole rear section. It hooks to the motor/axle mounts and bolts to the back of the chassis. It really stiffens up the whole tail-end, and with the "rib" I ran forward on the bottom it eliminated a lot of flex at the back axle without adding much weight.

You can see the 3S's in the pic', and the Velcro's to "saddle" mount 'em.
Here is a short vid' with them in. This one is ... no extra weight... so it spins a bit more, lifts a bit less.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psoqsp6tvc.mp4

The dual 3S's added a little weight in front of the tires, so here is one with the 4oz at the tail, taped on the platform behind the tires. It REALLY makes a difference, in the first launch (if you frame thru, because it happens FAST), you can watch it carry the front tires (I turned the wheels so you can see them) out of frame. Then in the other launches, it lifts the nose... plants the wheelie's, spins a little ... then re-lifts and carries the nose out of frame.

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psdf0e9djg.mp4

Left to right is slightly uphill, but it does OK even right to left (downhill). The 3S set-up will slap the wheelie-bars from a rolling punch, downhill.
I'm really likin' this truck !!

Oh, and the $$ I saved on the hitch went toward a set of scale "Brembo" disc-brakes (aluminum) so I may be able to do a front brake "lock-out" for burnouts. And I machined a post, while I did the hitch, to make a 'chute mount.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-05-2016 at 03:13 PM. Reason: duurrrrr
Old 04-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Hitch really did come out good. Looks good with the trailer hooked up to it. You still might have a hard time trying to spin those back tires even if you have a front brake lock out. Those tires look like they have nothing but traction.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #70
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hitch really did come out good. Looks good with the trailer hooked up to it. You still might have a hard time trying to spin those back tires even if you have a front brake lock out. Those tires look like they have nothing but traction.
Thanks I did build (started? ) it for trailerin' after all.
Yeah, I'm thinkin' you may be right. It may get tub'd just so I can do some wet burnouts , and not splash the electrics.
I do have some wheel-chocks to use if I decide to "launch" the boat. Don't need to "submarine" test her.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:34 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

I haven't gotten to spend much time on the 'Jockey the past few days, but I did get a back bumper figured out and made up. I came up with a plan using 2 pieces of aluminum rod, 3/8 and 1/4 in. I milled a flat side on both and curved the ends.

Here's the basic gist of what I'm after ....

... almost. I cut the bottom a little to drop it without crowding the hitch or wheelie-bars. Then drilled and tapped "blind" holes for mounting brackets. Also decided to cut a slot for the trailer plug to go thru the bumper.

Milled out a recess in the big rod for the license plate, and mounted the brackets up for a test fit. Ready for a polish.

And here it is after a "brushed" polish with 320 grit. I went "around" the tubular area, and across the flats.

You can see kind of what it'll look like .....

... now I just have to get it mounted to the chassis.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Nice touch with the plug in the bumper. This is really turning out to be a cool rig.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:32 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Nice touch with the plug in the bumper. This is really turning out to be a cool rig.
Thanks , I thought that would keep it out of the way of the 'bars and 'chute, but still easy access. I like this little truck more and more all the time too.

Tonight's update, I cut slots in the chassis and trimmed down the bumper mounts and got the bumper set in place ...

on a little block of wood sitting on the hitch, for now. It should sit about 1mm lower than this.

I still need to cut a hole for the light-plug and get brackets inside to anchor it, etc.... but I think it will work alright.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

I made a little more progress today. I got the rear bumper mount worked up. I decided to slot the chassis and hide most of the mount set-up inside, all you see on the outside are the button-heads of the screws that bolt the inner brackets down.

I got the bumper lowered even more, snug over the hitch, but still room for it or a 'chute mount.

Got the light plug in place too. I printed up a '68 MO tag to put on it. Got the tailgate and the back-glass tint stickers on too.

And here she is wearing her 'bars. Plenty of room at the bumper for a 'chute hook-up.

hmmmmmm ..... yeeaahh.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #75
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxreeves View Post
I know how to do a burnout... Put a brick in front of the car, and STAB IT!

I'm still anxious for a burnout...

Old 04-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

I'll see what I can do for you. I have a "faster" spur gear coming, that may help. My disc-brakes should be here this week too, so I may be able to do a brake-lock set-up on it. Maybe ...
I've been working on the slow side of it recently, but I'll put the wheelie's back on soon.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 04-12-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Can't wait...

Old 04-13-2016, 07:08 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally racer #75 View Post
nice! I am waiting for a video of the truck doing some cool things!
Thanks but Aww man, I guess I am gettin' old. And here I've been thinkin' my "hole-shot" vid's ARE cool.

[QUOTE=Bmxreeves;5485144]Can't wait...

I'm hearin' ya. I kinda wanna see it too.
I'm still thinkin' about wheel-tubs (even temporary ones) to do some "bleach" burnouts (just water tho ).

It's yard-work season, and nuthin came in the mail today, so it was a quiet day for the Coffin Jockey. :zzzz:

(I don't know how to change the truck's name in the thread title. )
Old 04-14-2016, 06:59 PM   #79
Rock Crawler

I got a little work done on the 'Jockey today. I made a 'chute mount, then made another one that WILL work, rrrrrrrrrrr...
anyway, here's the second one.

The anchor point is pretty much in-line with the crankshaft (if it had one), like NHRA likes it.

The disc-brakes showed up this afternoon too. They're super sweet, really nicely machined, but will definitely take some work to adapt them to THIS truck....

... but I love a challenge.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Wow this look great.

F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girly grave robber extreme Paint and Body 14 07-13-2009 06:11 PM
Grave Robber for crawler rr14 Paint and Body 14 01-27-2009 08:49 AM
grave robber NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 4 01-25-2009 04:48 PM