Notices

Thread: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #161
Rock Crawler

Default Re: F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Man I just want to get in buckle and take that truck for a ride. That interior is just over the top excellent work.
Soon you'll be able to get as close as technology will allow. I just checked tracking and my "Pilot" fpv cam' (HD, that will record) should be delivered tomorrow.
I'll put it in my crawler first to get used to it a little, but it will be in the boat and the 'Jockey soon. I can't wait to ride around the pond and for the wheelie / hole-shot ride.

And Thanks
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2016, 06:25 PM   #162
Rock Crawler

I've been driving my crawler truck with the Fat Shark set-up this past week, but I have made a little progress on the "Jockey too.
Got a roll-bar bent up out of the small aluminum rod left over from the bumper, and got it drilled and polished.

I also got the dash mounted solid. I used more of the neo' magnets to hold it in, I took the race-tech of the removable steering wheel a step further and made the whole dash removable to facilitate a driver. Miku still hasn't shown up yet, but I figured I'd make it easier to get "someone" in and out of the seat.
Now I can pop the interior in and out as I wish, like for pic's .....

... and still pull the dash to finish more details and such too.

I still need to mount the steering wheel (it's just taped in right now) but now I can fine tune it's position first.
In the daylight you can see the dash-lights without the cam' over-brightenin' them.

Now it needs a shifter and turn-sig' switch .... and heat controls .... etc .....

Old 07-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #163
RCC Addict

Absolutely awesome interior - the carpet, Steve's harness's, all of it.....just perfect - and again, a very creative build.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #164
Quarry Creeper

That interior came out awesome. I like the idea of the irremovable dash for easier access.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #165
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Absolutely awesome interior - the carpet, Steve's harness's, all of it.....just perfect - and again, a very creative build.
Quote:
That interior came out awesome. I like the idea of the removable dash for easier access.
Thank you, gentlemen, you guys deserve some of the credit. Without the knowledge, inspiration and encouragement from you and a long list of others among these pages ( too many to name here ), this truck wouldn't have become what it is today, or even exist.
Thanks for the infection.

Now, on with the insanity.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #166
Rock Crawler

Well, I spent the last 2 days circling .... well actually zigg ... zagg ... ziiigg , flip (AAAaaaargh) ....
ANYway, I was doing some speed runs with the interior in, and it was doin' a snake-dance (zig-zags) while slowing down. Upping the gyro just seemed to make it worse, and one zig right at a small bump in the highway and it was "wheels-up". So after flipping it again, I decided to look into it more. Turns out my original steering set-up put the inner tie-rod ends (servo end) about 3/4 in. higher than the outer, knuckle ends causing bump-steer that was toeing the wheels in a few degrees when the front suspension (a whole 1/4in.) was compressed (bump-toe?). The interior's added weight amplified the issue.
So, after scarring the back edge of the roof ....

and tailgate pretty badly, I reworked the steering. I made a bracket and stood the servo on end, which leveled up the tie-rods ....

..... and eliminated the bump-steer all together.
But, along with starting to repair the roof, I got my shifter lever made. I cut a piece off of some 1/8 X 1 1/2in. alum' flat-stock and started filing and shaping ....

.... and used a piece of stainless wire for the lock-out lever. I went with a B&M style shifter.

Now to make more test-runs and more parts.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:46 AM   #167
RCC Addict

Digg'n that shift handle, well done. Scratches do suck. I have seen some repair jobs where light sanding and a few coats of clear covered them up pretty well.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #168
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Digg'n that shift handle, well done. Scratches do suck. I have seen some repair jobs where light sanding and a few coats of clear covered them up pretty well.
Thanks joe', I thought about doin' a Hurst style, knob shifter, but then I looked back thru your gasser builds and I like the more "competition" look of the "knife-handle" (B&M) style, so that's what I came up with.
And, yep, that's just where I'm at now. I just got the second coat on, may do a third (but the humidity is almost too high today ). Not perfect, but a lot better than a butt-load of scratches.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #169
Rock Crawler

Well, I got the roof and tailgate patched up. You can see the before pic' above, the 'gate top was about the same. So I sanded it all up with 320 and got it ready for clear.

And here she is with 2 coats of clear lacquer, sanded in between with 800 wet.

Not perfect, but much better now. I can always sand it again and shoot another coat, but heck I'll prolly scar it all up again before that, and I'm happy for now.

Now back to the shifter and such ....

Old 07-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #170
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav101810 View Post
This thing is awesome!!! Love the detail!! You have done a great job on this!! And i cant wait to see a smokey burn out!!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Thank You, It's been a lot of fun to build, and it's a lot of fun to drive. I can't wait to get the camera in the drivers seat. The black marks still haven't faded on the porch, but it's hard to get those tires smokin', she just hooks up, stands up .... and goes.
I actually spun a rear hub this afternoon, doing hole-shots, seeing if she'll still wheelie with the interior. Well, the added weight pushed it past the stress limit for the epoxy holding the rear wheel-hub/diff adapter together (can't use pins with the ball-diff set-up ). SOOooo, now I'm re-engineering the rear hubs, using the other aluminum brake rotor/hexes (leftover from when I did the front "brakes") to replace the plastic hexes. I have to get some aluminum solder (and flux) so I can solder/sweat all the alum' and brass together to make some hubs tough enough to wheelie with the extra 10 or 11 oz. of interior.
Oh well, that's how it goes .... a day at the racetrack .... a week in the garage.

stay tuned ....
Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #171
Rock Crawler

Location: In West Monroe,LA...yes,where Duck Dynasty is filmed

This thing has some unbelievable styrene work . This is a TOP build IMO !!!
krazykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #172
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykrawler View Post
This thing has some unbelievable styrene work . This is a TOP build IMO !!!
Thank You, Sir She's kind of grown her own personality nowadays.
I'm a rookie with the styrene, but I try to take my time and give her what she needs.

Thanks again to everyone for the likes and good words.

jim
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #173
Rock Crawler

Thanks rav', , I appreciate everyone's interest.

Aside from waiting for alum' solder to ship in I at least got a shifter body made up.

I made the shifter body out of styrene so it will glue right to the hump. It will swing from park to low.

Still need a 'chute release too .... etc.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 PM   #174
Rock Crawler

Well, the aluminum solder and flux got here today, everyone cross your fingers. Hopefully I can get the brass and alum' parts soldered together without melting anything important. In the mean time I got the shifter finished and mounted into the interior.

It's slowly coming along.

I'll try the soldering tomorrow, I've made up a couple of trial assemblies to practice on. I'm ready to get my hole-shots back.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #175
RCC Addict

That B&M shifter turned out great! The details are just awesome - very cool hot rod truck!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #176
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That B&M shifter turned out great! The details are just awesome - very cool hot rod truck!
Thanks , I need to figure out my chute release now.
I wish I could've built something like this with my old '68 Shorty 1:1.

Well, AAAaaOOOoooo the solder-surgery was a big success!! I used this kit from UniWeld (P4KD9) ....

.... made for joining aluminum to brass, copper, SS ... most ferrous and non-ferrous metals. IT WORKED GREAT With it and a butane mini-torch I was able to solder my original hubs ...

.... together with the thin-walled aluminum tubing, a brass hose-fitting for "beef" and the new alum' rotors/hexes, into strong hub/diff-adapters.
Instead of the first versions, epoxied together with plastic hexes ....

.... now I have these. Not the prettiest "weld", but solid and strong.

And with a little clean-up with a file and some paint ....

...and thru-the-wheel.

The rotors punched truer than the plastic hexes, so it spins smoother than ever. Now to test drive her and see if I can get the front wheels up with the interior in.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #177
Rock Crawler

Still haven't carried her down to the highway yet, went from 100 degrees to rainin'. Did a little test inside on the rug with promising results, I think the wheelie-bars will be draggin' again.
And, I did get a little done on the interior. Got the heater controls made up ....

.... just 2 slides, no a/c. And I took the Axial steering column and slid a plastic bushing on, behind the steering wheel, and formed a cone with green putty. Then I chucked it up in the drill-press and sanded it into a nice rounded cone shape, then drilled a small hole for a "putty-on-a-pin" turn signal lever.

Made the little cowl for the base of the column, kind of a signature piece of these dashes. Got some interior door handles too.
Here's the sig' lever.

Still need the 'chute release, and some pedals .... fire extinguisher .... etc.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 07-25-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #178
Quarry Creeper

Your detail work just amazes me every time I see what you come up with. Another outstanding interior.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #179
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Your detail work just amazes me every time I see what you come up with. Another outstanding interior.
Thanks, I have fun figuring out the little parts and scroungin' up stuff to use. I need a mini wire "surfin' skeleton" (like in your "cool pic") to go on the dash.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:40 PM   #180
Rock Crawler

I had a "day at the track" today. It was cloudy, but no rain. I've been wanting to get some real test-runs with the interior in, and test the new hubs.
I AM HAPPY.
I'll let the pic's do most of the talking ..... let's say ....

yellow .... yellow .... yellow ....

GREEN!

..... Green ...

.... well, you know .....

I ended up putting 8oz of lead in the tail to balance the interior weight and get a bit more "bite". But it was worth it, for .....

The "Trophy" Shot ....

.... and I just ordered a 4-pole 3300kv motor for her, so that should improve the low-end and brakes.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 07-30-2016 at 07:29 PM.

F-100 Boat Puller... the "Grave-Robber" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
girly grave robber extreme Paint and Body 14 07-13-2009 06:11 PM
Grave Robber for crawler rr14 Paint and Body 14 01-27-2009 08:49 AM
grave robber NoblesvilleKid Paint and Body 4 01-25-2009 04:48 PM