Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

I'm interested to see how you do the steering, got to hide the servo, and hook it up with linkages
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2016, 11:33 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Awesome build, sir !! You have phenomenal talent !
Just to throw out a lunatic suggestion... I know you're tight on space, but with all of that "expose" on the nose, maybe you could go "rail-dragster" style with your steering. Put a mini servo in the gas tank, with a crank arm out the side and a rod running to the axle. Kind of like the "Red Baron" or the "Bad Medicine" rods.
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I was going to suggest putting a servo behind the cowl and running a rod out to a bell crack to look like a steering shaft.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #24
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by W1ck3d0n3 View Post
Dude I so want this rat. This rat is lookin ill.
Thanks man. It may be for sale one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John74_UK View Post
Stunning work , loving it

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbox View Post
I am continually impressed with the level of detail in your build.
Thanks, I surprise myself sometimes, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
I'm interested to see how you do the steering, got to hide the servo, and hook it up with linkages
I've got a plan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSD View Post
Love the rat...........
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
Awesome build, sir !! You have phenomenal talent !
Just to throw out a lunatic suggestion... I know you're tight on space, but with all of that "expose" on the nose, maybe you could go "rail-dragster" style with your steering. Put a mini servo in the gas tank, with a crank arm out the side and a rod running to the axle. Kind of like the "Red Baron" or the "Bad Medicine" rods.
Thank you very much sir! That's a good idea, but I'm thinking indy style...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
I was going to suggest putting a servo behind the cowl and running a rod out to a bell crack to look like a steering shaft.
That's the game plan my friend
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #25
Fan of wheelspeed

I've got a lot of updates to show

Mr. Sczerba sold me a set of Tamya semi tires, and my Guru from another state Derrick Johnston sent me some vintage slicks that you've all been seeing here. So in the quest to have a nice ratrod style white wall drag radial I had to chop these tires into several pieces. Here's how the mayhem went down...
I cut the sidewalls off and opened the beads up by roughly 1/8th".

Then I installed one sidewall on the rim and glued the slick (minus sidewalls) to the semi sidewalls while it was installed on the rim.

Next, glue the other side...

I was left with this. The sidewalls were to high, but I planned on that.

After a lot of sanding I had these.

I followed up by painting the sidewalls white with a Laquer paint Sharpie marker, sanding everything smooth and cutting new tread grooves into the sidewalls and the slick portion of the tire. The end result is a BADASS set of tires!

My servo showed up for the steering. I'm planning on sticking the servo horn out of the side of the cowl and running my steering linkage up front.

It's just a little fella

Next up, I did some detailing on the engine and installed more scale hardware from Lockeduprc.com. Notice the black around the intake? I used black rubberized CA glue on those pieces to simulate RTV gasket maker.

MOCK UP PICS!!

Then sometime around 1am I came up with the Shotgun style scoop. I'm running one on my 1:1 rat once I get to that point so it only made sense to have one for my 1:10. I used a couple of pieces of aluminum tube and styrene to make it. I painted the styrene portion with the Model Masters Metalizer paint and once it cured I used my Dremel and a soft fabric buffing wheel and compound to polish it all up to a "like new but used" shine.

I got a 30t HPI motor from Sczerba too, it fits super tight in the block. It's shown here flush with the back of the block, but once I get my Great Planes transfer case in I'll push it all the way forward in the engine block to try to hide it all.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 03-25-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Those tires came out great that is the correct look. The simulated RTV is a nice touch. The rat is looking good. Are you going to try and keep it low like the mock up.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #27
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally racer #75 View Post
I love it!
Me too

Quote:
Those tires came out great that is the correct look. The simulated RTV is a nice touch. The rat is looking good. Are you going to try and keep it low like the mock up.
Thanks. The ride height you see in mock up is my target ride height. I just spoke with my fab guy at Big River in Owensboro and my frame rails are costing me right at $51 for CAD, materials and table time. He expects them to be cut and delivered to my house Monday or Tuesday so I'll know more then. The only issue I'm foreseeing is the drive shaft and pinion angle. I may have to run a carrier bearing to get the ride I want. I'd like to see 1/2" ride height and be able to lower the rear to drag the frame rails via another micro servo positioned above the rear axle.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:59 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

You've outdone yourself, great build so far. After I had posted the question above about the steering, I saw your post in joe122's build, that'll be the best way with the linkage coming out the side of the cowl.

So is it safe to assume, that since you're going for the low slung look, you'll be using a suicide front axle setup?
Old 03-26-2016, 07:53 AM   #29
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
You've outdone yourself, great build so far. After I had posted the question above about the steering, I saw your post in joe122's build, that'll be the best way with the linkage coming out the side of the cowl.

So is it safe to assume, that since you're going for the low slung look, you'll be using a suicide front axle setup?
Thank you Mike . As for the front end I'm not a huge fan of the suicide look believe it or not. I very well may go that route but I want to see how mock up goes once the body, engine and trans are mounted. I'd like to keep things as 1:1 as possible so my personal taste might take a backseat on this part of the build.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:20 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

What kind of rear axle are you going to be using to get the 1/2" ground clearance you are after? Will you have to cut into the body at the rear to accomplish this? I guess you are going to have to use a lot of micro electronics since there is not a lot of room.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #31
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
What kind of rear axle are you going to be using to get the 1/2" ground clearance you are after? Will you have to cut into the body at the rear to accomplish this? I guess you are going to have to use a lot of micro electronics since there is not a lot of room.
I'm running a RC4WD Yota rear axle. The frame is drawn out on the previous page in this build thread as well as the axle Im using. The floor of the car as well as the sides will definitely be cut out to make room for the frame rails and rear suspension. I'm trying my best to keep all of that hidden and have a rear seat back there to help hide it all. I'm planning on fitting the lipo, a micro servo and the rear end all underneath a seat that will be removable to change out the lipo. I'll know more on this once I get the frame rails back and have the body sitting in place.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

This is absolutely insane man, I love it. Great work.
NickDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Anticipation! We're as excited as you are for those frame rails. Awesome mock up, going to be an epic build.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:05 AM   #34
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDanger View Post
This is absolutely insane man, I love it. Great work.
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSD View Post
Looking swwweeettttttt......
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Anticipation! We're as excited as you are for those frame rails. Awesome mock up, going to be an epic build.
Man, Big River came through. They're exactly as I drafted.

I've got ALOT of updates on the "29 Tudor Sedan .
Old 04-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #35
Fan of wheelspeed

UPDATES.......

I got a 30T HPI motor from Shane Sczerba and grabbed a fresh pack of Noodle wire from HobbyTown. I still like to support my LHS as much as possible. He cuts me 30% off deals on old styrene and stuff that gets out dated or when he makes a brand change like he did when he switched to Evergreen Styrene after me asking for nearly 2 years . Anyways, I cut out the back of the engine and cut off the trans to make room for the new gear box. Here's the result...

Next up, a windshield. But not just any windshield. Part of the allure of the Model A is that you can open up the front windshield to help ventilate the car. You've got two curved tracks on either side made of brass and then a knob on each side to tighten and hold the windshield in place while driving. I made my windshield channel out of C-channel styrene and used a piece of tube styrene up top.

I used a sharp pick to melt a hole in the ends of the windshield to open up the tube again after glue found it's way in.

As you can see, a solid piece of styrene rod fits perfectly in the tube. Almost like I did it on purpose

With the holes drilled on the cab, it all slides together perfectly.

Next up, make the brackets out of .20 styrene. These were a pain in the ass to keep the same.

Once I reassembled everything I glued the ends of the solid rod in place, sanded the rods ends down until they disappeared and repainted the exterior. After some detail work on the tracks I had this...

More mock up pics...

Old 04-01-2016, 08:28 AM   #36
Fan of wheelspeed

FRAME RAILS!!!!
My neighbor dropped off my frame rails from Big River Rubber & Gasket in Owensboro, KY. Water jetted out of 1/8th" steel these frame rails are perfect in every aspect.

After cutting out the floor of the body they fit right in place.

It all fits together real nice like.

That motor needs to come back further.

Should sit about right here on the frame.

I cut out the firewall to allow for the gear box to be hidden. MUCH better!!!

MOCK UP PICS!!!

I felt like it was time to make the radiator shell. Man did I nail it too!
I started with a piece of .40 and a piece of .20 styrene. I used the one I have hanging on my wall for reference.

A few minutes later (well maybe more than a few) I had this!

Which lead to this. Definitely nailed it!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:37 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

next should be the headers!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Definitely NAILED It!!
dr frankenstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Outstanding!
Old 04-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Rear tires and wheels came out great. Like the grill work. Can't wait until you install the rear end to see what the stance is going to look like.

Tags
chop, model, ratrod, shop, tudor

Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1930 Model A Ford "Ratrod" Pickup 51WillysJeep 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 19 08-18-2016 12:04 PM
My first 100% Scratch styrene build. 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan Hoosierdady Paint and Body 22 03-18-2016 07:24 PM
Scratch build model builder from down under thecrusader Chit Chat 3 11-02-2013 11:10 PM
wow, check out this model plane. Scratch built from metal with Dental tools.... BigB_117 Chit Chat 8 12-25-2009 11:03 AM