Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Fan of wheelspeed

Cool Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

I started the body in the paint and body section but now that I'm getting to the tech and assembly I figured I'd start a actual build thread for it. Here's the link to the body section...
My first 100% Scratch styrene build. 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan

Well, to speed things up I'll just post a few progress pics from the body work.
Here's the 1:1 on it's day of arrival.

I printed out a few spec sheets on the '29 Tudor. I cut the pic into 3 pieces for now. I'll cut a couple more out before it's all said and done. I'm using .40 and .20 styrene. The braces in the cab itself are just to keep things spaced evenly while I'm roughing out the main support pieces for the roof and sides.

I've got a lot of sanding to do as you can imagine, but for less than 2 hrs of work I think I've done pretty good so far.

I clocked 3 more hours on the build. As it stands I'm right at a total of 6 hrs in labor. I added some reinforcement to the b pillars. I used two strips of .40 styrene and carved a groove down the middle of it to create some detail. I had to cut the pillars to relieve some pressure on it that was causing a bow to form too.

I also added the side pieces and another layer of .40 styrene to the roof. Then I started sanding...and sanding....and sanding.

It's getting worthy of the shop now. I needed to add some side detail around the windows and the back. I used some .20 styrene for that. You can see one side versus the other. I still need to do around the windows and add a few other touches.

The rear window ended up being a little bigger than I wanted, but I might be able to make it smaller with some trim work.

Here's the passenger side before the trim...

I added some window trim and also the wheel well molding for the rear.

Next up was to start on the windshield frame.

After that I moved on to the firewall and gas tank.

After that I moved on to the interior and the base coat for the rust.

I tried to keep the dash as close to the real thing as I could. It's hard to see in the first pic.

But I backlit the gauges and used a amber LED to give it a old timey look. I've since coated the interior and exterior in the iron ore paint from Sophisticated Finishes. I used a sponge to stemple the paint on to give it a rough texture. The interior will get wooden strips for structural support just like the 1:1 has. I'm using a old dew rag for the cloth on the seats I think. I'm still up in the air on that as I may look into some cow print faux fur for it instead.

As I posted above, I had the body under the Iron ore paint to start the rusting process. I only did the interior because I don't want the rust rubbing off on my hands the whole time I'm building the rig.

I did some rust detailing on the steering wheel too but it's not in these pics. Here's a dash shot.
Hoosierdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Fan of wheelspeed

Default Re: Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod

I nabbed a couple pieces form my 1:1 to incorporate into the build somewhere.

I built a front seat for it too. I used some styrene and strips of wood to make the seat. Then I distressed it and used some fabric to give it a "old Mexican blanket" kind of look. I had to distress the wood on the seat back too, so the whiskey barrel idea hit me.

I got a 1/8th scale engine from Shane Sczerba to hide the motor in.

I also got a front drop axle from a Tamiya King Hauler and some Weld racing dragster wheels. I've got a machinist working on some one off spinners for it to replace these plastic RPM knock offs.

Here's the overall vibe...

I ordered some Losi slider rear wheels that look very close to the same design as the front wheels. I'll detail them out once they show up. I'm thinking of using some semi tires for the rear. I'll widen them and make them into whitewalls I believe. Either that or I'll sand down some Sand Paw paddle tires to make some wide slicks. Overall I'm loving the outcome. This thing should have a really cool appearance once it's done. I'm going to use a servo to raise/lower the rear ride height along with some flint to throw sparks when I drop it mid run.

Last up, a shot from the side with the gauges lit up.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Love these vintage builds....killer talent, who says rust never sleeps!
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Outstanding!, love the seat
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Looks good so far. I think you need to make it into a Ratfink ride. Go with the ratrod look. Very good detail work.
rerebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #6
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXPRSS View Post
Looks sweet!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe122 View Post
Love these vintage builds....killer talent, who says rust never sleeps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Outstanding!, love the seat
Thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerebuilder View Post
Looks good so far. I think you need to make it into a Ratfink ride. Go with the ratrod look. Very good detail work.
No Ratfink here. I think Rick Grimes is going to pilot this beast but I'm not sure yet. I may try to find a Fonze looking figure for it.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #7
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally racer #75 View Post
that seat... amazing!
Thanks .

In other news I made a new contact. I found a local guy who's into RCs and works at a company who does custom water jetting. So I'm having my custom frame rails cut out on a water table from 1/8" steel and just under 10mm wide. Here's the layout.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:09 PM   #8

Great build. I'm excited to see the chassis come together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
pquittem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:47 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

You sure you would want to go for this look.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

3 questions:
are you going to have the ghost rider drive this?
and will you put the fake nos can?
lastly, are you going for a mad max look?
rally racer #75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquittem View Post
Great build. I'm excited to see the chassis come together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Thanks

Quote:
You sure you would want to go for this look.
Nah, I want a more realistic look than Ratfink. Although I do think RF is BA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSD View Post
Love the seat idea. True innovation right there. Great work Hoosier
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rally racer #75 View Post
3 questions:
are you going to have the ghost rider drive this?
and will you put the fake nos can?
lastly, are you going for a mad max look?
1-No ghost rider, Rick Grimes will be driving.
2-No fake NOS can (sorry)
3-No sir, just your average mild Ratrod look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell990 View Post
I love the rat rod look... and in a rc its just awesome!
Thanks, I'm fond of them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypreston65 View Post
Love the build, details are nice, but those rear tires have got to be smaller. IMO,!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
Thanks man, and no worries...the rear tires will be ALOT smaller. Those pics were just for fun.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #12
Fan of wheelspeed

So there have been a few changes to the game plan. I'm using a different motor, a different engine and a handful of parts showed up too .

I ended up getting a XL5 esc for it and my buddy Shane Sczerba hooked me up with a HPI 30t motor for it too. I switched to a different engine block than the yellow flathead because this other block is smaller and a little more to scale. I sliced a few pieces off and tested the block for fit...fits great. Very tight.

The block I'm using came with a 3 carb Offenhauser style intake. I'm using a standard high rise intake and 650 Holley on my 1:1, so it made sense to make my own intake to match up with mine.

So I chopped up the plastic intake and started forming my own using styrene.

I smoothed it all down and applied a coat of Model Masters Metalizers paint. The cool thing with this paint is that once it's cured and after a couple of coats you can hand buff the piece to bring out a natural shine similar to the metal/color that you choose.

I sprayed the block Hugger orange seeing as how it's a SBC engine and it's the same color as my 350. I also drilled out the head bolts. Some of you may have seen this coming, but it'll definitely be getting the Lockeduprc.com scale hardware treatment thoughout.

I applied a little rust to the block once the orange was dried. After this pic was taken I painted the freeze plugs bronze too.

Next on the list was mock up . I think Rick Grimes will be navigating the rat rod.

I have no clue as to what brand they are or what they fit, but I was given some slicks for the project too. I'll probably be chopping the sidewalls off of some semi tires and using the "lack of tread" from these slicks for the center of the tires...maybe.

I got the Yota rear axle in as well. I also started distressing the axle so it wouldn't stick out so bad. I've got to figure out how or if I'm going to weather the front axle and wheels. I don't want those pieces to scream NEW and everything else be rusted and worn.

Last edited by Hoosierdady; 03-21-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Like the route you are going. You should check out show on the Discovery channel called Vegas Rat Rod. There is a car on there that might give you some more ideas for yours. Narrow skinny slicks in the back.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #14
Fan of wheelspeed

Quote:
Like the route you are going. You should check out show on the Discovery channel called Vegas Rat Rod. There is a car on there that might give you some more ideas for yours. Narrow skinny slicks in the back.
I'll check it out. Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 08:16 AM   #15
Fan of wheelspeed

It hurt to do it, but I had to rust out the rear axle. Making a brand new axle look like crap isn't normally my thing, but I think I did ok.

I got my Losi Slider wheels in too. The wheel pattern matches up with the front very well. Took me hours of searching Ebay and Google to come up with these.

I'll use the same Metalizer paint on the accents.

And last but most certainly not least the engine needed a oil filter. I thought about going ACDelco for the color contrast, but I've always been a fan of Fram, so Fram it is. I used fine texture paint for the black so it's kind of rough like the real thing.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

This will be most excellent of builds.

Another box of junk yard parts sent!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Who wants a rusty rear end? ME!!!!!!! How cool. I have got to learn how to do that.
joe122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
Fan of wheelspeed

I drilled out some holes on the engine and used more scale hardware from Lockeduprc.com. I also installed the oil filter and water pump.

I used a little dry brush method with some flat gun metal grey paint to give the pump and timing chain cover some depth.

The wheels ended up looking great. I used the handle end of a paint brush to paint the edge of the inside holes and added a few bolts to fill the beadlock holes on the lip. Weird how it only has 3 holes on each side. It must be for a mud/dirt shield for dirt track racing.

Time for some more mock up pics...

As a whole I feel like it's coming along great. My frame rails were in CAD as of yesterday and I'm hoping to get them back in a day or so.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Dude I so want this rat. This rat is lookin ill.
W1ck3d0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:34 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Stunning work , loving it

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
John74_UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chop, model, ratrod, shop, tudor

Scratch build '29 Model A Tudor Sedan Ratrod - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1930 Model A Ford "Ratrod" Pickup 51WillysJeep 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 19 08-18-2016 12:04 PM
My first 100% Scratch styrene build. 1929 Model A Tudor Sedan Hoosierdady Paint and Body 22 03-18-2016 07:24 PM
Scratch build model builder from down under thecrusader Chit Chat 3 11-02-2013 11:10 PM
wow, check out this model plane. Scratch built from metal with Dental tools.... BigB_117 Chit Chat 8 12-25-2009 11:03 AM