Axial Yeti 21 28.77%
Losi Rock Rey 45 61.64%
Equal Rock Racers 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Yeti vs Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Default Yeti vs Rock Rey

Oh yeah! I'm going to get the Rock Rey! I bet it out-handles the Yeti and comes with a 6 pole brushless. Which is going to be better? Which would you choose? Why?

Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2017, 04:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Yeti vs Rock Rey

No questions for me. The Yeti, cause i only buy kits.
Which is better I don't know for that I would have to Drive both in same conditions side by side by my own.
Both Looks great in the videos.

sent by magic_yeti
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I bet the rock rey will handle better with the center diff.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Based on videos I've seen, I'd go Yeti. Kickback seems astronomically worse on the Rey. But maybe that's because they overpowered it? I dunno. I want my trucks to handle well and go slower, which actually means faster.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

I own a Wraith and Bomber. I've been hoping other makers would jump into the Rock Racer category and here it is! Been wanting the Yeti to complete the collection. I have read many negative points against the Yeti, but still want an open front diff 2.2 rock racer. Opening the diffs on my Bomber and Wraith greatly improved handling, but had proven a waste of awesome trucks. The negative points of the Yeti (poor handling, nose-down jumps for starters) may be solved in the Rock Rey. What are the Yeti's strong suits outside of parts compatibility with the Wraith and Bomber?
Old 01-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I had a Yeti. I sold it and would not buy another one. I hated the front end geometry and the steering.

I want a go fast basher and I am considering buying the Rock Rey.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Personally, I drove my cousin's rock rey and after drove my yeti. I would chose yeti all the way handles better, just as powerful and just overall better.
Yeti guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

How did he get a Rock Rey so fast?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

It says yeti guy in his tag line...Id go with Rock rey, outta box it has a more appealing base, aluminum main chassis is a big point, the transmission is simple yet offers more tuning because it is a open diff so if your a racer that's exciting versus a two speed that's not usable without a 100 in parts and is way more rotating parts, ie drag. Bulletproof mod 1 gears. Geometry and rear suspension are similar so it's almost a draw the yeti does have the advantage of aftermarket support on a proven drivetrain but at least you can get the rey and give it hell without an immediate need to upgrade the diff gears, spur and mods to the chasis for a lower, better balanced dented of gravity. Just my two cents oh and the avc for those who like it
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 AM   #10

Do you mean the Baja Rey? I hear the Yeti Score has a weight advantage over the Losi Trophy Truck. The after-market support for the Yeti is impossible to overlook. Rock Rey parts are definitely going to be limited by comparison to the Yeti. That likely will not change for the life of each models' production run. If a person wants upgrades/mods I would probably stick with the Yeti. The only hope for the Rock Rey, in that respect, is that it may not need upgrades to work in its intended purpose. I just want the super-fast rock racer to work—spare, stock parts for repair only. If I want to tinker I'll fool with the Wraith or Bomber.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have a Baja Rey and a Yeti... if the Rock Rey maintains the steering of the Baja Rey with the 2.2 wheels, Rock Rey will be awesome...

My yeti has been much more durable then my Baja Rey. Baja Rey has been down for over 2 months as I patiently wait on horizon to ship me a drive shaft couple... Ordered a Rock Rey for my Buddy they are on back order with no estimated ship date as per my LHS.

Baja Rey Vs Yeti Score, in my opinion, Baja Rey.

Rock Rey Vs Yeti RR, Much closer race... Aftermarket parts support/ Front Differential housing/ Bearings, big edge in favor of the Yeti

I've been racing TLR stuff forever, I wish TLR would offer a kit version of the BR and RR.

Last edited by Lanky; 01-08-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I'm a hardcore axial fanboy for sure. Saying that I'd get the rock rey if the steering and front suspension geometry is good. I'm not sure axial could have built a worse front suspension if they tried.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:01 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
I'm a hardcore axial fanboy for sure. Saying that I'd get the rock rey if the steering and front suspension geometry is good. I'm not sure axial could have built a worse front suspension if they tried.
Agree on most points.. however, being more of a losi fanboi, the front diff housing/ bearings/ diff/ and dare I say CVD pins, are about as strong as a HPI RS4 setup.

I have never seen a pressed inner pin eject itself(twice, both sides) until I met the Baja Rey(drive cup side).

To be fair I am running 2.2 bomber wheels tires/ 3s on the 10t pinion.
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky View Post
Agree on most points.. however, being more of a losi fanboi, the front diff housing/ bearings/ diff/ and dare I say CVD pins, are about as strong as a HPI RS4 setup.

I have never seen a pressed inner pin eject itself(twice, both sides) until I met the Baja Rey(drive cup side).

To be fair I am running 2.2 bomber wheels tires/ 3s on the 10t pinion.
Cvd's can be fixed. 20* steering angle with no good way around it is a different story.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
How did he get a Rock Rey so fast?
He works for losi
Yeti guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I thought long and hard about the Yeti vs Baja Rey last year, and it was the easy-to-add two speed transmission and 4WS that swayed me to the Yeti, for use as a general basher, and a trail machine that won't see use on tracks or asphalt.

And, as much as I like Losi (and my ol' JrxT), if I wanted something for speed, and that handled (and jumped) more like a buggy, I would buy their SCT. Or, a Traxxas Slash, for the local parts availability. I don't see the point of the Rey.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

So.....this really isn't a poll on which truck is better.

It's just a speculation thread on what everyone "thinks"? If someone has both of these trucks and can actually drive them side by side, I'd like to hear about it.

That being said, If Rubbaneck had anything to do with the Rock Rey, then that's the truck I'm getting
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

if the rock rey is as abusable as the Baja rey, id honestly say id get the yeti. for a few specific reasons. in the yeti.. you can put different ring an pinions you want in it. and the chassis is plastic.

recently I noticed on my Baja rey my chassis is tweaked. as far as front suspension strength goes.. the Baja rey has very flimsy front suspension, and I expect the rock rey to be the same. except if you look at the rock rey.. the lower arms and hubs a different. but probably the same plastics.

the rock rey will have its purpose in the right environment. id bet it would be a tough battle side by side. and this is coming from a guy who hates the rock rey but owns 2 Baja rey's.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #19

For me it comes down to what I perceive to be the best value.

price, kit, aftermarket support, manufacturers support, how I plan to drive it and in what environments.

Yeti has the advantage.

Any manufacturer can build a bomb proof truck, but that wouldn't be ideal either. they got to draw the line somewhere. so it falls upon the consumer and aftermarket to carry the torch.
hozzerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
So.....this really isn't a poll on which truck is better.

It's just a speculation thread on what everyone "thinks"? If someone has both of these trucks and can actually drive them side by side, I'd like to hear about it.

That being said, If Rubbaneck had anything to do with the Rock Rey, then that's the truck I'm getting

not a true apples to apples, until the Rey is released and we get reports.
hozzerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Yeti vs Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Added section for Baja/Rock Rey Wes S. Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 01-04-2017 09:28 AM
Losi baja rey snowman13 Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 05-12-2016 07:01 PM
Renegade Rock Runners @ Marina Del Rey, CA + 4 Wheel Steer YETI!!! 4x4Jay Videos! 2 02-13-2015 04:53 PM
Renegade Rock Runners @ Marina Del Rey, CA! January 31st 4x4Jay California 21 02-13-2015 03:51 PM