Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra's wr8 flux that forgot how to go off-road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's wr8 flux that forgot how to go off-road

Yes I know the wr8 flux is supposed to be a rally car but I decided to help it forget that part.

Anyways the wr8 didn't start out life as an rtr, I pieced this together. Parts came mostly from dollar hobbies and some parts from greece.... which took forever to come in. Originally I built it to be pretty much stock, I threw in some kyosho rtr servo, airtronics rx-461 rx and a hobbywing justock esc and 13.5t with super Rs4 wheels and tires.

After a few runs I had had to replace the front camber links with axial rod ends and threaded rod. The steering and rear camber were replaced with revo rod ends and threaded rod, also swapped the electronics to a mmp/pro4 4000kv. But eventually that was replaced with an Orion vortex8 combo to run 4s.

So for a few months it was plenty fast.... then I decided to get rid of the stock chassis, battery mount and shock towers in favor of the exotek speed chassis and towers... that was a BIG difference in how it handled. On 4s it was already a drift car when you wanted to, after the exotek chassis speed runs needed some finesse or it would just spin out. I ended up having to adjust the camber links to get most of the camber out of it, don't know the exact settings though. Within a few packs of the new chassis I killed the Rc4wd trail stomper body that I had mounted to it, in favor of a proline 2017 raptor body with wing from a 200mm hpi onroad body.

Here's the Rc4wd body before it was killed, it was already repaired using aluminum tape after being stepped on. Eventually it had huge holes on either side

How it currently looks, I need to reglue or replace the wheels/tires. This body DOES help with the traction problem but not enough.

Anyways after 2 uneventful runs with the new body I snapped a front c hub right in half..... which still needs replaced. That happened in October.

Now for the reason I started this thread....the castle sidewinder 1/8 and 2200kv combo. Prior to getting it I was already going to replace the Orion set up since it could only run up to 4s, once I saw the price I had to go for it.

Now the fun part comes.... mounting the motor and that monstrous esc. The motor was straight forward, take the old one out and put the new one in with some m3 washers spacing it away from the motor cam. Then swap the I believe 22t pinion (I'll double check tomorrow) over. The motor JUST fits in there with the center diff towards the rear. The esc is the fun part. I had the Orion mounted between the center diff along side the servo.... the sidwinder won't fit. So I checked on the other side of the chassis.... no luck with the battery mount in either position! So to mount it i asked a friend with a machine shop to build me a bracket to mount the esc to which will mount to the center diff and have the esc just above the front center driveshaft.

Once the esc is mounted, then comes more upgrades to handle 6s. Unfortunately I have to go with integy parts on this since nobody makes anything for these, I'll also be going with either associated or losi 2wd buggy shocks front and rear and possibly getting wr8 street tires for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default c0bra's wr8 flux that forgot how to go off-road

As for the tittle of the thread, this thing sits as low as I can make it and not have it scrape every rock that's on my street. Also with the power it has and lack of tread pattern it will be pretty much useless off road

Last edited by c0bra; 02-27-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra's wr8 flux that forgot how to go off-road

With summer fast approaching I decided it's finally time to get this thing back on the road. I've been looking up were to find upgrades for the Bullet/wr8 series and there's not much.... hpi has parts that are expensive, integy caries parts but they are hit or miss, eBay has parts but they are all from china and have a 2 week ship time.

So rather than spending vanquish money on hpi parts, I decided to give integy a shot. So today I placed an order for a 44t billet spur gear, f/r chassis braces, steering rack, rear knuckles and front castor blocks. I still need to get knuckles for it but I forgot to order them....oops.

This is just the first step of the rest of the wr8 build. Still going to at least replace the stock shocks with threaded, protek 130ss servo, and get a few sets of wr8 street tires..... the super Rs4 tires had issues on 4s..... I'd hate to see what 5 and 6s does to it.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I got all of the integy parts in and started putting them on the car, only to realize that I forgot to order aluminum steering knuckles..... so now I'm stuck waiting till at least Friday to get this back on the road.

In the mean time I'll finish putting the parts on and make the esc mount. I'll post pics either tonight or tomorrow with all the parts on it and new motor in

Old 04-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Car isn't fixed yet as I'm still waiting on parts, but should have it fixed tomorrow and hopefully testing it by Thursday at the latest! Unfortunately I couldn't get the integy rear hubs to fit, just need to clearance were the pin goes thru it though.

Only things left to do are make the esc mount, solder a deans plug and mount the receiver.

Electronics for the first run with this motor will be: airtronics rc-461 receiver, kyosho ks-200 servo, castle 1/8 sidewinder and castle 1/8 2200kv on 4s. Gearing is 21/44

Gearing is a little steep but I run the same motor in a rc8b3e which is heavier than this and it's fine. That being said, this thing is going to be fast if it hooks.

I'll post pics before the first run with this set up

Old 05-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Car was fixed, then had a problem, fixed again and then broke.

During the first ran, the screws that hold the motor decided to back out. To fix it I got some 8x3x3 washers to space the motor away from the lip on the motor mount and used longer screws to mount it.

During the second run, towards the end of the battery, the left front knuckle came off! What I think happened was the inserts I made stripped and allowed the screw to back out. I already have the factory inserts, but I lost a knuckle bushing in the process.

Now to get b5 or b6 shocks for it, new servo and replace the bearings with fast eddy

Old 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

How is it coming along?

Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

From what I recall the 1979 ford f150 body from hpi fits nicely if youre.looking for a replacement.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Haven't really gotten a chance to fix it yet. Had an out of state wedding to go to last weekend so that put a hold on rc stuff for a bit. Should be able to get this thing back up soon though

Old 07-19-2017, 01:09 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Finally getting around to fixing it. Biggest problem was I was trying to get the hpi flanged pipe for the knuckle, but I found out that the axial one fits! Now I'm in the process of a tear down, I'm replacing all of the bearings with fast eddy and freshening up the diff and shock fluids. I will also be replacing the stock plastic bushings in the steering rack with bearings. Also the crappy Kyosho rtr servo is finally coming out!

c0bra's wr8 flux that forgot how to go off-road - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wr8 flux suggestions c0bra Rally 3 09-30-2016 07:29 AM
Just got my wr8 flux, looking for wheels/tires Slowkrawl Rally 8 01-17-2013 07:45 AM