Notices

Thread: Jato The Mudboss - Dirt Oval Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 AM   #61
Custom Carbon Fiber

Default Re: Jato The Mudboss - Dirt Oval Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I need to try to get the car to turn. Before the main I put a larger spring spacer on the left rear shock and the next smaller sizes on the right rear shock. I was thinking this would lean the car forward and put more weight on the front wheels while also putting more weight on the right rear tire. I think it helped a little, but not as much as I wanted. What suggestions do you guys have for getting the car to turn better? Thanks.

doing that actually did the opposite ..... you actually added more weight to your right front. That will cause a push.

Left front/Right rear
Left Rear/Right Front

Thats your weight transfer .....
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Can't help ya there... i raced super speedway...we was gettin 50mph or so on the straights...i don't know nothin bout short track...fun to watch though...mainly customworks chassis though. We raced on a biiig 5th scale oval with long corners...a lot of patience in the corners...a lot of drifting into and throttling out depending on if you're passing or not.

5th scale classes usually about 80 deep every race
Sent from my LGAS375 using Tapatalk

Last edited by kongluc; 06-19-2017 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Edit
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
doing that actually did the opposite ..... you actually added more weight to your right front. That will cause a push.

Left front/Right rear
Left Rear/Right Front

Thats your weight transfer .....
So are you saying I want to add weight to the left front to get it to turn better?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Compression ratio's

Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #65
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
I finally had a chance to race my Mudboss this weekend. I started with something close to the Mudboss suggested setup for a loose track. I'm not a fan of that setup at all. In practice I could not get my car to turn unless I slowed down a lot for the turn and I was off the throttle or at least only using partial throttle. Because of this I started getting hard on the brakes into the turn to get the rear end to slide out. I spun out a lot learning this. After some tweaks the car seemed better, but I still wasn't happy with it.

In the first heat I started 9th out of 10 and finished 4th. Not bad considering it was my first time out with the car and I wasn't happy with the way it was handling.

I made some more tweaks before the second heat. The car seemed to get worse. The severe push had returned so I resorted to braking hard again. I spun out a lot trying to slide the car because it simply wouldn't turn any other way. I finished 4th out of 4.

With those results I didn't make the A Main. I made some more changes before the B main. I am not a setup guy. I typically setup a car and learn to drive it. I told myself to just drive the car that way it had to be driven in the main. I decided I was going to brake before the turn, get slow for the turn, and drive out hard. I also decided I was going to brake on the straight so I didn't spin out in the turn. I pushed hard, tried to stay focused (difficult for me), and tried to stay consistent. I started in 3rd and about 10 laps or so into the race I took the lead and never looked back. I was happy with a B Main win for my first outing.

I got bumped up to the A Main where I started 6th out of 7th and that's where I finished. My new battery didn't seem to have any pep.

I need to try to get the car to turn. Before the main I put a larger spring spacer on the left rear shock and the next smaller sizes on the right rear shock. I was thinking this would lean the car forward and put more weight on the front wheels while also putting more weight on the right rear tire. I think it helped a little, but not as much as I wanted. What suggestions do you guys have for getting the car to turn better? Thanks.
Quote:
So are you saying I want to add weight to the left front to get it to turn better?

You could try adding some and see how it changes the feel. The left front would stay down to turn but you might even get help just from camber changes too. What are you running for camber in the front wheels?

If your using the brakes on entry to make it turn then to me I would, help get that nose to drop off throttle on corner entry.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #66

Quote:
You could try adding some and see how it changes the feel. The left front would stay down to turn but you might even get help just from camber changes too. What are you running for camber in the front wheels?

If your using the brakes on entry to make it turn then to me I would, help get that nose to drop off throttle on corner entry.
The left front tire does sometimes come up off the track in turns when I get it sliding and power slide through the turn.

The camber settings I started with are: LF 6 RF -1 LR 4 RR -4 I dialed a bunch of positive camber out of the left front and now it's probably closer to +2 rather than +6.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 AM   #67
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
The left front tire does sometimes come up off the track in turns when I get it sliding and power slide through the turn.

The camber settings I started with are: LF 6 RF -1 LR 4 RR -4 I dialed a bunch of positive camber out of the left front and now it's probably closer to +2 rather than +6.
Wish there was a loose dirt around me that ran these, or that I at least knew of. My daughter would have a blast with one and Id love to just tinker with it.

If the rules dont restrict it, Id move the battery all the way to the left and hell even strap it under the chassis lol.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:15 AM   #68

Quote:
Wish there was a loose dirt around me that ran these, or that I at least knew of. My daughter would have a blast with one and Id love to just tinker with it.

If the rules dont restrict it, Id move the battery all the way to the left and hell even strap it under the chassis lol.
You can't do that. The battery has to stay in the stock, centered position. You can move it forward or back. That's it. Now that I think about it I should have tried sliding it forward. I have it pushed all the way to the rear.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #69
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You can't do that. The battery has to stay in the stock, centered position. You can move it forward or back. That's it. Now that I think about it I should have tried sliding it forward. I have it pushed all the way to the rear.
Can you run a shorty pack? That could help you tune weight distribution as it is shorter and lighter.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:24 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
Can you run a shorty pack? That could help you tune weight distribution as it is shorter and lighter.

We can. Sometimes less weight is a bad thing in SC trucks though. It's something to try for sure.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #71
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
We can. Sometimes less weight is a bad thing in SC trucks though. It's something to try for sure.
The idea is you can move it forward and back farther and you can add weight where you want it while still keeping the same overall weight.

Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

They race carpet Mudboss near here completely stock 13.5 foam tires. Similar track to yours...100ftx50ft

The original track and hobby store closed years ago...but the track owner re-opened the track in another location...it's about 70miles from me now...was 50

Last edited by kongluc; 07-23-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 08-03-2017, 01:54 PM   #73

This project is dead.

I raced once. I really struggled to get the car to turn in during practice and the first two heats. I worked on it between sessions and got some turn in as long as I braked hard to get the weight on the front wheels. The car is far from perfect though. I was relegated to the B Main. In the B Main I decided I was going to drive the car the way it needed to be driven rather than worrying about setup. I put my head down, concentrated (which is difficult for me...oh bright lights!), ensured I hit all my braking marks instead of driving too deep into the corners and I tried to put all emotions to the side. The emotions part slipped when somebody straight up rammed me from behind to pass. My goal became payback rather than winning. A couple laps later I caught him and he got shoved twice as hard and I never looked back. I dominated the B Main.

After considering the hour drive, baking out in the hot sun, sweating my brains out, and the fact that oval just isn't that fun since there are no jumps or right turns I decided my dirt oval career is over for now.

I have a new set of shocks on the way to turn the Slash into a basher. I might keep the low shocks for some SC on road bashing.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #74
Pebble Pounder

I feel like it would be interesting if everyone had to have the EXACT same setups. You get the Slash and you race it as it comes out of the box. No changes anywhere. No tuning, no tinkering or anything. All driver. Then it would be quite interesting, everyone would have the same issues!

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post
I feel like it would be interesting if everyone had to have the EXACT same setups. You get the Slash and you race it as it comes out of the box. No changes anywhere. No tuning, no tinkering or anything. All driver. Then it would be quite interesting, everyone would have the same issues!

-Corrupt
I ran the stock class. It's as close to out of the box as you'll get. I missed the jumps of off road racing.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:40 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt View Post

-Corrupt
Just like the IROC races, 40 Z28 Camaros, only differences being body color and numbers, all set up the same. A true drivers race.
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #77
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Just like the IROC races, 40 Z28 Camaros, only differences being body color and numbers, all set up the same. A true drivers race.
Yeah! Now that is something I'd like to see in the RC world. The "stock" racing they do now is similar to how the Stadium Super Trucks are run. You have the same trucks, but can do the following modifications:

http://stadiumsupertrucks.com/wp-con...Procedures.pdf

Page 5. Pretty much just a bunch of suspension adjustments.

-Corrupt
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #78

I turned this back into a stock Traxxas Slash / Raptor so I can drive it. I bought Proline Slingshot paddle tires for the rear and Mohawk tires for the front and mounted them on F11 beadlock wheels with blue STRC rings so I can fling some snow. Here's a short video I made from driving in today's fresh snow.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Hahaha weeeeee!!!!!
I was bummed to see you quit the circle track, seems really interesting. I dont even know if thats a thing here in san diego?! Not for rc anyway.
But im stoked to see you kept the truck and still having fun with it!

This sort of fun go fast stuff makes me want to keep my yeti. I havent driven it in months... if i keep it, its getting a retro tt makeover.

I love the simplicty of traxxas stuff! Just plug it in and shred the gnar!!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote

Jato The Mudboss - Dirt Oval Racing - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt Oval Mudboss Racing JatoTheRipper Non Crawler RC's 5 05-01-2017 12:09 PM
Dirt Oval? flapjack Colorado 4 07-05-2010 07:09 AM
Dirt Oval ? twisted Non Crawler RC's 2 11-20-2008 11:55 AM