Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: OSRC's Konghead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: OSRC's Konghead

Got it decaled up... I love it!!

Kinda plain I guess, thinking about something to break up the blue a bit. Can't wait to get this out. Should do pretty decent - not a truck for my most challenging areas, will be more at home in C1/C2 territory.

And a few flex shots. Not a ton, but more than enough for this chassis. Anything more would be out of whack.

Is it Spring yet???
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2020, 07:48 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Think those gear reductions would fit a MF-01x chassis?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:16 PM   #23

I think it looks awesome! Definitely looks like it’ll be a fun drive out on the trail.

Glad I could finally plant an idea in your head after all these years of you doing the same for me.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:55 PM   #24

Nice to see another Dynahead! I thought I was the only one with one, lol. If you think of a better way to lock the diffs then the "locking" putty let me know.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by bbeck006; 12-15-2020 at 11:08 PM.
bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

@OSRC Looks great! no Autobot symbol?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Think those gear reductions would fit a MF-01x chassis?
They will indeed, with a little finagling. Need to figure out something for the rear upper links. I've got another set on my TL01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck006 View Post
Nice to see another Dynahead! ...If you think of a better way to lock the diffs then the "locking" putty let me know.
Looks great! Use the third gear mod. Basically take one of the three spider gears in the diff and cram in in between the other 2. Locks it solid. Since I have so many gears from previous projects, I cram 6 spider gears in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
@OSRC Looks great! no Autobot symbol?
Working on it.. I ordered a decal sheet, but its shipping USPS which means it'll probably be here by February or so.
Old 12-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Thank’s OSRC!
I’ve been debating on getting just the parts vs ordering a Monster Beetle TR and robbing the GRUs off that and either building that with the MF-01x pieces or eventually look at adding one of those Dynaheads to the fleet too

Last edited by BJoe; 12-16-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Exactly what I did! Tracking down the individual parts bags was tough - none on Ebay and none in stock at TamiyaUSA...and didn't want to track them down overseas given the current shipping situation. I'm not even sure they are sold separately. In any case, the Beetle TR's are currently on sale at TamiyaUSA for $169 w/free shipping IIRC.

If you are planning the MF01x route, I'll check the fitment. I know the rears will bolt up to the arm no problem, not sure about the front. 99% they will, but I never tried. I have all the bits laying around, I can confirm for you before you pull the trigger. You'll for sure have to do something about the rear upper links. It's an odd setup. I made some aluminum standoffs for one of my MF's.. different hubs, but the concept is similar. Some simple bent links might work too.

I then built the Beetle sans portals using leftover TL01 parts.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:55 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Thanks again! If you can check that out for me, I’d appreciate it too.
Everything looks like it should and I did something funny with that corner on my Jimney using one of the hub end ball studs for my M-03 that I didn’t need after converting it to the caster blocks and front hubs from a M-05 (highly recommended, transformed that car!) Problem was though, I just can’t remember exactly what I did and how I did it since it’s been a few years since I did it
That said, I’ll take a look after dinner since it’s on a different floor and I’m working on cleaning the kitchen while waiting.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Here’s what I did for that right rear camber link on my Jimney
Old 12-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
Thanks again! If you can check that out for me, I’d appreciate it too.
Front fits fine... thought it would, but wanted to check. The MF01 has a different C hub, kinda threw me for a loop.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:47 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Front fits fine... thought it would, but wanted to check. The MF01 has a different C hub, kinda threw me for a loop.
Thanks for looking into that, I appreciate it!
I ran across that when I put M-05 C’s and hubs on my M-05 too, but that was worth the little extra money spent on that car!
Old 01-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Trail report! The Prime Dynahead did very well on the trail. Surprisingly well, it's far more stable than I expected it to be (It looks tall, but most of the weight is down low) and pretty darn capable. The tires kind of let it down a bit, it was cold, wet and slick and they really struggled for grip on the rocks - even with 6 of them. But they did fine everywhere else..I'll give it a run in the dry before considering any changes. The gearing is spot on with the 18t pinion and Holmes Crawlmaster, I had excellent low speed control and plenty of wheelspeed if needed. 4WS was for sure the way to go, I have it set for 0, 50, and 100% so I could lock it out if needed...which wasn't often.

It got quite a bit of attention out on the trail too, kids seemed to gravitate toward it. Can really see the wet conditions in this pic - made for some challenges, but a good time in any case!

Much more at home going down the trail, it was a blast watching the IFS work and the 4WS snaking around obstacles.

Made it!

No real changes are needed imo, though might look into a tire change depending on how it does in drier conditions.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:51 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

That’s damned impressive, I want one even more now! How well do you think one of Axial’s Jeep “Mighty FC” Concept bodies would fit this?
Old 01-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

No idea, I don't have one handy. I have a Creep body on my Kong, but it's going to take a bit of work. Had to hack it up quite a bit.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:33 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
No idea, I don't have one handy. I have a Creep body on my Kong, but it's going to take a bit of work. Had to hack it up quite a bit.
How close in size are the typical scale bodies to the side of these trucks then? I think the cab over Jeep might look good on these without tooo much trimming
Old 08-20-2021, 07:26 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

As a follow up on this build, I decided to take it to this years G6 event, along with 6 other trucks... this one was the smallest of the litter, with the narrowest track, widest turning circle, worst breakover angle, and I was not expecting big things per-se, I just thought it would be fun to run (As most Tamiyas are, no?) Well, it WAS fun to run, and much to my surprise, I'd say it was my most capable truck I ran all weekend. This little guy went everywhere, and I mean everywhere.

Before leaving, I swapped over to a set of 4.19 Hyrax tires with stock foams and was debating a bit of weight in the front wheels, though ultimately decided against it. Turns out I didn't need it at all. This truck climbed, sidehilled, and mudded it's way through all of the G6 courses. Never even flipped it once, it was incredibly stable and while the front bumper wasn't doing me any favors, as long as I attacked from an angle and got a front wheel on something, I got up and over it.

Unfortunately, it was over 100 degrees and very high humidity, and many of my pics didn't make it... lens had fogged up from being in my pocket.

Resting after three and a half battery packs of wheeling. Job well done!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:38 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Hah! Tamiya on a G6! Awesome!
Shape_Shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Kicked the crap out of it. It definitely got some funny looks, though lots of people recognized the paint scheme and it got plenty of thumbs up.

I'll be taking it next year for sure.

OSRC's Konghead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya 1/18 Konghead 6x6 spectre Multi Axle Rigs 10 03-20-2017 10:17 PM
OSRC's Comp Derek108 Competitions 6 02-15-2015 06:26 AM
Osrc's comp Derek108 Alabama 2 02-04-2015 10:19 PM
OSRC's Boring Twin Hammers OSRC Vaterra Twin Hammers 6 01-09-2015 02:15 PM
OSRC's CR's OSRC Tamiya CR-01 37 05-04-2012 08:38 AM