Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: M04RR (Rear motor conversion)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default M04RR (Rear motor conversion)

Been on a car kick lately. Variety is good for the soul...

Cruising around on Shapeways, I found an interesting little conversion. It was an M04 rear motor conversion. After a little more digging, I found an "XL" version which stretched it out to 257mm (standard touring size) Using TL01 bits, it could be a rear motor 190mm touring car...interesting. Since I had a full option M04 on the shelf collecting dust and a TL01 long arm suspension on another shelf, I thought this might be a fun project.

So initially, I had stretched the M04 out to a mid motor 257 car. I dug out the LA parts and they pretty much bolted right on...sorta

The rear bolted right up, even the swaybars transferred right over.

The front parts also dropped right on, though the steering knuckle was way too short and bound up against the swaybar. I tried out a few and found that a TB02 knuckle fit perfect and was long enough to not hit the swaybar.

The rear motor conversion flips the rear clip around, and bolts to the chassis using the 4 rear bumper holes. Pretty slick idea. There's no provision for the swaybar though, and I had to improvise. I glued some CR01 spacers on to keep it centered vertically, and put a small piece of foam in between to keep it from moving laterally. Works like a charm.

Bolted up and ready to go!

Finished chassis....low and narrow! Vintage wheels and tires - the fat rear tires should help with grip out back. I had to swap the rear hubs side to side to get some toe-in in the rear. It's only a degree or so, I'll be keeping an eye out for some hubs with more toe built in.

Stock silvercan (out of little brother M06) until I get the suspension sorted out.

Love how low the entire chassis is..Tamiya's low profile bodies should have no trouble dropping on.

I took it for a test drive and compared to the mid motor set-up it's much more planted, both on braking and acceleration. It drives like a big M06 which is a good thing! Much different from my TT02 and other touring cars. It's a bit edgy, but that's what makes it fun!

I've got to sort out the suspension settings a bit, and order some body mounts. I decided the Tamiya Capri body will be going on here - should be a good fit with the vintage rubber, plus it's RWD of course. A Porsche would be perfect, but the Tamiya bodies are all 251mm and shorter so a Capri it is!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: M04RR (Rear motor conversion)

Reminds me of my cousin's Associated RC10DS with the motor way back there. That car was always such a blast to drive, I'm sure this will have a similar feel. What is the motor plan after the tuning is done?

Seems I have been on a car kick too, added the Ver II chassis to my M05, built my TT02R, and traded a Losi buggy for a Serpent S411. All while I should be building my truck for the GCM Adventure Series in September.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:49 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Not sure on the motor. Probably 17.5 when it's all said and done. I think anything more would overwhelm the rear tires.

My TT02R has been getting a lot of love too. Forgot how much fun it is to drive fast!
Old 08-04-2017, 08:15 AM   #4

This car looks like a ton of fun!

And I keep drooling over that Enzo body!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Not sure on the motor. Probably 17.5 when it's all said and done. I think anything more would overwhelm the rear tires.

My TT02R has been getting a lot of love too. Forgot how much fun it is to drive fast!

It's not the same car, but I'm running a boosted 10.5 in a rwd tc4 and it can loose traction with ease. Though it goes really fast if your careful enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I think that much power might overwhelm the driver...
Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Time for a little body work! Picked up the Tamiya Capri body and went to work.

Found out it's a 251mm body...whoops! Just lined up the front wheels and I recut the rear wheel wells a little further back - since the sides are flat, it worked out ok. I also had to swap over to TG10 axles front and rear to get the wheels pushed out enough...this body is very wide!

Laid down some of my "team colors" and started with decals, rear wing, etc..

Got a bit more to do, but it's almost ready for track day
Old 08-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sweet
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

And done! Rear wing took about an hour to get right. Holy cow!

Anyway, kinda went with my own scheme using the Jager decals and "team colors". I forgot to paint the grill black, sometimes reading the instructions comes in handy!

Found a 21t pinion as well, so bumped up the gearing from a 19t. Also picked up some 3000mah lipos that fit in the chassis (has the old round style battery opening) Can't wait to get it out running and get some tuning in....
Old 08-11-2017, 01:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

put a blue drinking straw cage in it! nice euro capri!
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote

M04RR (Rear motor conversion) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear leaf conversion? hillbillyrc General Scale Talk 6 03-17-2017 08:40 AM
Rear steer conversion tgr1977 Redcat Crawlers 5 01-20-2017 06:35 AM
Exo Terra rear conversion to wraith. cherokee pat U4RC 6 10-30-2014 09:18 PM