Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Converting Traxxas Slash to LiPo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Default Converting Traxxas Slash to LiPo

I wanted to convert my son's Slash Courtney Force Edition to run on LiPo. So, I read the part of the manual that tells how to activate the Low Current detection & activated it. Then I cut off the Traxxas battery connector, installed the connecter that mates up to my LiPo's, turned on the Transmitter, then powered on the car. Unfortunately, I plugged in my 3S (not realizing it would only support 2S). The car didn't move & ESC flashed between Red & Green. So, I removed the battery & installed a 2S. Car worked, but seemed a little more sluggish than the NiMH it shipped with. I sat it on the ground, then started to drive it through the house to test it on the street. Then, the steering stopped responding... I removed the LiPo, installed the NiMH again & switched off the Low Current detection mode, but steering never came back (but motor worked fine). I'm guessing the 3S cooked the steering servo...?

So, I guess my question is (A) what steering servo should I get, and (B) what else do I need to do so I can safely run a 2S.

Lastly, what if I want to run 3S (because I'm afraid 2S won't be as fast as the 7-cell NiHM it shipped with) - do I need a new Motor & ESC combo?
particle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Converting Traxxas Slash to LiPo

the stock xl5 brushed esc cant run on a 3s lipo so it is probably internally damaged, I believe its only rated to 9.6 volts/ 8 cell nimh battery. if you want to run a 3s you would have to get a brushless system for it.
The servo might be okay.
rc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post

Lastly, what if I want to run 3S (because I'm afraid 2S won't be as fast as the 7-cell NiHM it shipped with) - do I need a new Motor & ESC combo?
If you want to go brushed Hobbywing 1060 esc for $22.00, $11.00 goolrc or like can motor then go nuts. The BEC on the esc is good enough for your application so you wouldn't need to change the servo.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:21 PM   #4

Thanks - I saw somewhere that said to try switching the steering servo plug at the ESC with the plug for the motor, and to see if the throttle turned the steering servo - it didn't. I guess that either means (A) the steering servo is dead, or (B) the ESC is dead. I assumed having the motor plugged into the steering channel on the ESC would have controlled the motor (by turning the steering wheel), but it didn't, so it makes sense the ESC is damaged.

Now to decide if I want to keep it stock, or upgrade to a brushless system for substantially more money...

And I just saw another response come through. I'll definitely check those out!! Thanks very much for the responses fellas.
particle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I heartily recommend going brushless for a Slash. More runtime, more punch, zero maintenance.

A brushed system, especially in a go-fast rig, means burning through motors (or brushes).
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:09 AM   #6
TWS

Slash's tend to eat brushed motors anyways, get a brushless! Don't go crazy on the motor, a Castle 4600 was my favorite motor to run.
TWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Converting Traxxas Slash to LiPo - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Converting to LiPo? Drm31078 Electronics 1 02-24-2016 02:03 AM