Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: jebster's tonka truck rc conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: jebster's tonka truck rc conversion

Those are awesome!!! Man, I wish I had my old Tonka trucks.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2020, 06:27 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Those are awesome!!! Man, I wish I had my old Tonka trucks.
I wish I had all of the ones I grew up with. Some were way beyond recovery. I do keep my eye on Ebay for any good deals. I would like to get a concrete mixer truck for a future build. That would be cool because my dad was a concrete truck driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17dean View Post
Watched Youtube video of its flawless movement. Awesomeness as usual.
Thanks. I do like working the mechanics on these rigs and trying new things. For example on the crane I may try an electrical slip ring so the crane pedestal can rotate continuously without worrying about wires getting twisted.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Getting very close to done on the scraper. Waiting on a few parts (sprockets) and then it will be a teardown to paint. Gave it a maiden run in the basement and I'm happy with the results.

A short video and some pics.

https://youtu.be/eP2LoU3CDOA
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

That's cool, looking forward to seeing it scrape
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:45 AM   #85
I wanna be Dave

too cool ive been wanting to do this too so its cool to see some convertions other than dump trucks lol
all i have are dump trucks
so far i have 1 front axle mounted lol
i realy want to do a loader and a excavator but now i want one of those dosers too lol
i cant wait to see the crain truck too that looks fun

after running them are there any mods done yet besides adding some weight or any thing you would do differently
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:36 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
too cool ive been wanting to do this too so its cool to see some convertions other than dump trucks lol
all i have are dump trucks
so far i have 1 front axle mounted lol
i realy want to do a loader and a excavator but now i want one of those dosers too lol
i cant wait to see the crain truck too that looks fun

after running them are there any mods done yet besides adding some weight or any thing you would do differently
Thanks. As far as mods beyond more weight I haven't come up with any. I know they won't work as well as the rc constructupion equipment but that was not the point. I will say one thing that still bothers me is the steering on the loader. It does work but the actuator is very slow so I fine myself being impatient. I will live with it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
That's cool, looking forward to seeing it scrape
Me too. Once I get the additional sprockets I'll give it a run. Like the rest of these they do work but they aren't that effective. More about the fun of building them and tooling around with them in the yard.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:10 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Spent some time working on the crane. Got the rotation, boom winch and bucket winches fired up and working. It is a lot of equipment but it will be tucked in the upper body of the crane. Also installed the slip ring which will allow me to connect the steering servo and the drivetrain esc to the receiver, which will be in the upper body.

I will be running 2 separate batteries because I don't want to run power through the slip ring. One battery will be housed in the upper body and the other in the cab.

So far I have learned two things:
1. I need to use the high gear in the 2 speed transfer case for the bucket winch. The low gear is way to slow.
2. The cheap esc's I bought to drive the rotation and bucket winch aren't programmable the way I want. They don't allow for immediate fwd - rev. That means I have to turn the knob on the controller to do a brake, return to neutral and then it will reverse direction. I can make this work but it may bug me enough that I will eventually upgrade.

A little video of everything in action.

https://youtu.be/WR9RRJl2UlI
Old 06-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

I'm impressed, figuring out how to make each function work would drive me nuts, good job!
Old 01-13-2021, 01:38 AM   #89
Pebble Pounder

Any updates?
Dakillswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:48 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakillswitch View Post
Any updates?
I have made a lot of progress but I'm behind on posting pics and videos. I'll try to do that this weekend.

Quote:
I'm impressed, figuring out how to make each function work would drive me nuts, good job!
Believe me, it drives me nuts too! Plus, to keep the cost down I'm using a cheap radio so things like EPA isn't an option on most of the additional channels. That means I need to do mechanical alignment on servo throws, which is very time comsuming.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:05 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

So here are some pics of both the scraper and the crane. Both are done and working. I also posted a couple videos to show them in action.

https://youtu.be/Jq9Lz-nT-LI
https://youtu.be/vZFPV2Ew624

Scraper works great.

The crane works great with one exception. My free spool setup for the bucket to drop is very touchy. In the video I hit the button a number of times trying to get it to drop. Since my radio doesn't have EPA on the extra channels I had to adjust everything mechanically. Probably needs more tuning. Plus I will add a little weight to the bucket so it should want to drop better.

Off working other projects right now but I do have a steam roller and grader on the shelves that would be next in the queue.
Attached Images

Last edited by jebster; 01-15-2021 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #92
I wanna be Dave

What are you using for the drum winch on the bucket, I'm surprised it doesn't freewheel when you release it, there should be enough dangling weight from the bucket no matter the angle of the boom.

I like the limiting straps you used for the pivot steer, simple, but effective
Old 01-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What are you using for the drum winch on the bucket, I'm surprised it doesn't freewheel when you release it, there should be enough dangling weight from the bucket no matter the angle of the boom.

I like the limiting straps you used for the pivot steer, simple, but effective
I think the free spool might be having two issues. The line might be dragging on the plastic housing it feeds through so I probably need to open the hole. I also think the transfer case I'm using doesn't cleanly disengage the gears. That is probably a servo travel issue.

And thanks on the limiting straps. They are actually shocks locked un with a little rubber cushion to allow some give as it turns and twists.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Nice to see you staying up with this thread. Love it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 01:20 AM   #95
Pebble Pounder

I just ran across these builds from your youtube videos. Thank you for the link over here

Awesome conversions! There are definately some great ideas that i'm going to be "borrowing" for some projects! I was looking for some ideas for some 1/16 scale Construction Scraper and Articulated DumpTruck projects im considering

I'm really impressed with the how you did the crane, i had never thought of a modded 2-speed trans to let you drop the clutch to drive the implement into the ground! Have you gotten the release working smooth enough to try 'casting' out past the boom reach?

A while back I converted a 1950s Nylint 'Michigan Crane' that mostly does Dragline work, sometimes Crane work, and very rarely some Clamshell work.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzen View Post
I just ran across these builds from your youtube videos. Thank you for the link over here

Awesome conversions! There are definately some great ideas that i'm going to be "borrowing" for some projects! I was looking for some ideas for some 1/16 scale Construction Scraper and Articulated DumpTruck projects im considering

I'm really impressed with the how you did the crane, i had never thought of a modded 2-speed trans to let you drop the clutch to drive the implement into the ground! Have you gotten the release working smooth enough to try 'casting' out past the boom reach?

A while back I converted a 1950s Nylint 'Michigan Crane' that mostly does Dragline work, sometimes Crane work, and very rarely some Clamshell work.
Thanks. While they aren't the most capable construction rigs that wasn't the goal. I wanted to keep the Tonka feel while making them functional.

As for the crane I haven't had a chance to get the drop mechanism smoothed out but it is on the project list. I'm sure it is a combo of servo endpoints and having too heavy of a grease in the gearbox (I treated it like any other gearbox which I'm sure was a mistake).

If you have done your on conversions I'd like to see them. Create a thread of your own.

Last edited by jebster; 02-10-2022 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 07:05 PM   #97
Pebble Pounder

For your cranes hoist drop, i'd first start with going to a store that has a Fishing section, and getting the biggest sizes of passthrough 'sinker weights' they have. Not the 'kettlebell' or 'wrecking ball' looking ones, try for the Oval, Round, or Egg style with a hole through the center.
Mount it on the line above the lifting hook like the 'Headache Ball' the real ones use.

You want enough weight to keep the line from sagging and help with the cable drop, but every bit it weighs takes away from your lifting payload.

Also if you're running a 'calming line' to the boom to keep a clamshell from spinning, you can use one of the weights instead of trying to do some spring tensioning system

https://youtu.be/g0zSWAf96Qo
My bucket doesn't weigh enough, the calming line doesn't move freely, and if i actually plan to use this bucket i need to make another mode that slaves Crowd (closing) to Hoist o that it's not a huge pain to keep both lines tight when lifting.

If it's still more of a servo travel issue, and there's some room in the model, check out a Servo Stretcher. Little box between RX and Servo with 3 pots to adjust Center and each EPA
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Finished up another conversion. Tonka roller. Decided I wanted the drum to be driven vs just free rolling. I think it came together nicely. Wish I could post pics but since I can't I did a video where I tried to show all the mechanics and electronics.

https://youtu.be/GozqI4oPFc4?si=Ev9KPlww-Cy6bsk7
Old 10-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #99
RCC Addict

That thing is seriously a work of art and an engineering masterpiece. Fantastic job getting this all worked out and running. Tighter turning radius than I would've expected too. So cool!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:56 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
That thing is seriously a work of art and an engineering masterpiece. Fantastic job getting this all worked out and running. Tighter turning radius than I would've expected too. So cool!
I chalk the turning radius up to the drum being very slightly overdriven and a venom creeper axle in the rear. I'm able to lock or unlock the diff. You are seeing it unlocked in the videos.

jebster's tonka truck rc conversion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
jebster's mud truck jebster Mega/Monster Trucks 38 04-08-2017 09:50 AM
Tonka conversion questions neverwinter Tires and Wheels 1 04-07-2016 07:00 AM
Tonka truck RC conversion with dump and 4WS PatsPosts 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 07-27-2014 01:58 PM
My Tonka truck... needs help ! utieh 1.9 Scale Rigs 19 02-22-2008 12:20 AM