Default Re: My new TT02 Chassis kit

i think you're cooking with fire now!!!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Yeah Baby

Alrighty then I found a set of aluminum Air Craft Push rods that have 3mm threads and are 34mm long and have a hole in the center and have a 5mm diameter, so I can drill and tap a 3mm hole cause there wide enough and they are aluminum

I ordered a set of them from a hobby store in Florida, there is no picture cause there site wouldn't let me right click to save a pic,

But you get the idea, and its on once again, you just got to be smarter than what your working on that and a lot self medicating

Last edited by kgb424; 11-06-2017 at 02:49 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

glad to see you aren't givng up! i was concerned for a bit there. wish i could show you some of my progress but I'm on hold until i get the new house all moved in and settled.
add all the new awesome vintage ford truck body stuff from proline and traxxas and my mind is spinning trying to decide what exactly I'm going to do.
on top of all that I'm tempted to sell the yeti if i don't build a vintage trophy truck out of it... which is very tempting also.
might even move my dad's tribute truck to the new RGT bowler chassis (already 11 inch wb and they have rear leafs for it) and use the ascender for a 70's chevy pickup "king of hammers" retro style truck.

after the holidays i should have some progress.

anyway... glad to see you motivated again!

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-06-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Yeah Baby

I tested out a theory, I had and it worked like it was supposed too, that why I drilled the plastic knuckles first in case it didn't work

Took the stock plastic steering knuckles and drilled a new hole closer to the knuckle and center of the arm

And that shorten the length of the tie rod needed, so I shortened the tie-rods by turning the turnbuckles in, when I get the 20mm ones I ordered I will trim them if needed

Cause am I very close, it just needs tweaking after I make the adjustable steering bridge, I will fine tune and adjust everything

But for right now, its close enough, until I figure out how to drill the aluminum knuckles so the holes are dead on, Cause on one of the plastic knuckles, the hole was off and I had file the hole bigger to get the ball centered in the arm

I don't want to do that with aluminum ones I want the holes centered and both knuckles the same

Getting closer to dialing it in
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-06-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #105
I wanna be Dave

I got the Traxxas tie rods and use some 3mm rod ends with steel pivot balls, I also trimmed off one of the holes on the knuckles, I made some adjustments, its even closer now, still needs adjustment

The turnbuckle for the steering bridge is close, need to check the tracking again
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2017, 11:45 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

Hey ShinChu

Can you recommend some drift tires and wheels and compounds for asphalt and concrete

With some narrow manufactured drift wheels, I can adjust the camber so the chassis slides easier

Cause the drift wheels I made out of plastic pipe are unbalanced and cause vibrations and are just not true

Manufactured tires and wheels would be balanced and have no vibrations

Last edited by kgb424; 11-08-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Yeah baby

I got my aluminum turnbuckles today, and I drilled and tapped a 3mm hole in the existing hole and used steel pivot balls

I will have to power up the servo and center it and see what happens, I know I might need a high speed servo, instead of the standard servo I got now

Its close still needs some tweaking like when it comes back to center
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb424 View Post
Hey ShinChu

Can you recommend some drift tires and wheels and compounds for asphalt and concrete

With some narrow manufactured drift wheels, I can adjust the camber so the chassis slides easier

Cause the drift wheels I made out of plastic pipe are unbalanced and cause vibrations and are just not true

Manufactured tires and wheels would be balanced and have no vibrations
Hey bud! Lookin good!!!!
Pretty much any hard compound drift tire will be fine, match it up to any 26mm touring wheels and you are all set.
Or just plop down $20 on some pre mounted... anything!
Just try some. They are cheap enough i have literally dozens of wheels and tires. Part of the fun! Go on rcmart or heck even the bay, pull the trigger on the first thing that looks good to you, will be better than pvc or abs.

Setup is really looking killer man! So glad you got i t figured out! Cant wait to see some vids!!! Oh and if going rwd a gyro is a must or you will get frustrated really, really quick cuz it will spin out faster than you can counter.

You are now on the golden road of success brother!!! Congrats!
Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Well shit happens and it smacked pretty hard and it broke the passenger side steering knuckle, it sheared off right at the lower A arm

I didn't use the drift wheels I made cause they are unbalanced and cause vibrations and the wheels wobble a little

Used a set of touring car tires and it still crashed and burned in less than 10 minutes needs a Gyro to help

Now I have to get the aluminum steering knuckles drilled and the holes have to be dead on and the same for both knuckles so they adjust evenly

The plastics knuckles the holes were not the same and it wouldn't adjust evenly

I looked online and all of the multiple holed knuckles have been discontinued or out of stock

So I have too drill the knuckles, wondering if after today's carnage

If I shouldn't get 2 sets drilled out and have a spare set

Maybe I will ordered another set of aluminum knuckles
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-11-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

I found and bought the version 2 wide angle steering arms, they are shaped just the Eagle Racing arms, also bought this aluminum collar set

Seen online where someone made a bracket that uses the existing holes in the knuckle and moves the tie rod hole closer to the knuckle

With out drilling a hole in the knuckle, I got pic of the mount he made, its not a very good one but you can see how the tie rod is closer to the knuckle

I think the hole is over the side so he could use a nut and ball stud, I will use a thick piece of aluminum plate and tap the hole,

So my bracket will be shaped differently

Oh Shit, I just looked and the wide angle steering arms and the collars are from Eagle Racing in Japan

Still can't find multiple hole knuckles like the Eagle Racing one is the picture
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-11-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

I took pictures of the bracket that the guy made using his U-tube video and I was right he is using a ball stud and nut and the length of the turnbuckles he is using is why his mount plate is curved

Those are the same Yeah Racing aluminum knuckles I have
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-12-2017 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #112
I wanna be Dave

And so it begins

Its easier for me too make identical plates and then it is too drill the knuckles evenly, I can drill the both plates at the same time together so the identical, I hope

I used a old Sharpe and laid the knuckles on a piece of 1/8'' aluminum plate and scribed the shape of the knuckles

And I rounded the end, so the plates fits tight against the knuckles, need to buy some 3mm flat head screws for the 2 holes in the knuckles

The 1/8'' plate is thick enough, so there are plenty of threads for tie rod to mount to in the plate with a 3mm button head screw
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-12-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

I got my knuckle plates made, I shaped them the same as knuckles, going to hold off on the tie rod holes, I want to try out the Eagle Racing Version 2 wide angle steering arms

And then will drill the holes for the tie rods in both plates
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-12-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

I think that guy made the brackets L shaped to reduce "over throw". Even real drift cars that have angle kits can actually get stuck if too much angle. This is reduced by making knuckle mods so the rod ends dont go past the point of no return.

I wish i could find vids of how angle kits work. I mean i know i could find them but i wish i knew exactly where to point you. Lots of geometry in movement here. Gets tricky.

Look for vids like pbm angle kit or drift steering mods explained...
Arggg man i cant wait to get going on my cars so we can both learn from each other!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Hey Shinchu

If you look at his pics, you can see he is using 2 different sized rod ends, which make the turn buckles longer

And the fact he also used a ball stud and nut, but it could also be the angle thing, I had problems until I shorten the tie rod and moved the hole closer too the knuckle

I bought the Eagle Racing V2 wide angle steering arms, I found online Eagle Racing parts and not sure if the they fit a stock TT02, cause all of the Eagle conversions have Carbon Fiber chassis

And the upper and lower A arms are different between the Chassis kits, and need different spacers too make them work

I found the Eagle Knuckles that have a ball stud on top and bottom and multiple mounting holes for the tie rods

You don't see a normal TT02 with the Eagle knuckles and lower and upper A arms, cause of the different Eagle chassis

With the motor in the front or the other one that has the Gyro in the front and then RWD has different parts

The Yeah Racing Drift Conversion looks like it uses the stock plastic chassis tub and has wide angle arms steering arms with a adjustable steering bridge

The knuckles have 3 holes and one close to the knuckle, same with the Eagle Racing they have a holes close to the knuckles

So I'm on to something with a hole close to the knuckle, so matching plates was the way to go

Last edited by kgb424; 11-12-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Eagle conversion called FRD has new lower and maybe upper arms for sure. However, if you can get those, they mount to an aluminum copy of the tt02 front diff housing or bulkhead. So... they should bolt up. Thats how they call it a tt02 kit, based off all measurements and specs of tt02.

I was looking for an eagle frd kit but for the price... jeez might as well just get an mst and be done lol i dont like the sakura because belts and funky motor position.

Anyway yeah you are getting damn close with geometry. Your determination is inspiring!
Oh and i have seen plates for the knuckles that look like your lower shock mounts. Cant rememnber where... might have been part of tt01 angle kit? Not eagle... tenergy? Integy? Dont have time to google... moving is a pita!!!!
Old 11-13-2017, 02:51 PM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Hey ShinChu

I googled Eagle Racing in English and Broadtech.hk came up and I found the V2 wide angle steering arms and the collars I bought, to test the service and shipping time from Japan

Feel free to look thru the Eagle Racing parts there is 12 pages of TT01 and 32 pages of TT02

all versions of the TT02 chassis are there the 4WD versions, the 2 wheel drive versions, motor up front versions

Check it out, I was looking at the RWD and the RWD V2 but not sure

Want to see how much the Yeah Racing is before I bought the Eagle Racing setup

And not the complete chassis conversion just the A arms and knuckles and rear hubs

That seems like the way to go

Until you look at the pictures and see how every thing mounts

Last edited by kgb424; 11-13-2017 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

I got my Eagle Racing parts and they sent me a 2018 catalog and there is some really nice stuff in it, but its not in English, so you have to go to the Eagle Racing website

It took me awhile to find and were expensive, but I found the original vintage Tamiya Decal sheets for the Alfa Romeo 156 Selenia body that is on my TA02
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-20-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

I got the new steering bridge and the new wide angle arms put together and wow the Eagle Racing setup is so much smoother than Ebay wide angle arms

Still not right when the axles are centered, I now have to make some Ackerman angles to mount the tie rods to the knuckles

Kind of like the other guy made
Attached Images

Last edited by kgb424; 11-21-2017 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

I used a step screw and temporary fixed the plastic knuckle, and I adjusted the steering bridge and was able to get the wheels straight at the center position

Used the plastic knuckles to see if the hole closer to the knuckle still worked and it works like it should

So now I need to figure out where to drill the knuckle plates, so I can attach the tie rods on the aluminum knuckles
Attached Images

My new TT02 Chassis kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any other TT02 here calcagno45 Non Crawler RC's 67 11-06-2017 11:41 AM
rally bug bit me...now i have a tt02 smokinloon Rally 4 08-08-2015 10:26 AM
My Tamiya TT02 Type S/BMW Build OkinawaCrawler Non Crawler RC's 0 05-03-2015 02:59 AM
Tamiya M03 M05 M06 TT01 TT02 HPI WR8 1:10 scale M-chassis shoot out at Punggol East H boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 08-15-2014 10:14 PM