Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build!

Like the tittle says, and if you’ve seen my tc4 thread, I am working on converting a 3racing Sakura D4 rwd into a full body length hilux.

The plan was originally to convert a tc4 to an 11.3 inch wheelbase but that turned into the d4 because it already has the rwd ridiculous turning angle. So to stretch the chassis I cut it in half and stretched it with part of an old new bright body. The next day I picked up a metal break and some thin steel and started remaking the extension pieces.

Other than the extension so far it has a savox 1251 servo and some 0mm offset drift wheels that I had sitting around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build!

How much did you have to stretch the chassis to center the wheelbase to the Toyota body, I'm curious cause I have TT02 and RC4WD Toyota body
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Roughly an inch, I can get the exact measurement after work.

1/10 on road cars have roughly a 10.2 inch wheelbase, with the tf2 wheelbase being advertised at 11.3.

The other thing is you have to cut out most of the inside of the bed so the rear end doesn’t look like a monster truck with small tires. It left me with a shelf big enough to put a full size 2s lipo back there and only have to figure out a way to make it not slide around and glue magnets to it with a piece of styrene to act as a taneau cover

Old 10-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have been trying to find one of these Street Jam Toyota's but they are no longer available, So the next alterative would be a Toyota hardbody but with round head lighted grill

Last edited by kgb424; 12-11-2018 at 01:00 AM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That wouldn’t be that hard, you could just pick up a Mojave body and then get the required tamiya grill parts

Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i found an 80's S10 body that could be cool... 10 inch wheelbase too!
scroll waaaay down...
Bodies
there is a syclone and a regular a few under that.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I was able to get the body mounted! The front has an aluminum plate that attaches to the grill mount and functions as a stealth mount.

Also I was able to mount the battery which I was going to mount at the very back but I was unable to without cutting up the bed even more so I mounted in it the center of the chassis.

Then using the larger piece that mounts to the rear bulkhead with 2 spacers and the stock rear body mounts I was able to make a rear body mount! There is holes in the bed but I plan on making a styrene cover for the bed anyway.

I then rear fitted the front bumper but something looked off so I sanded the chrome plating off of it and put small pieces of styrene in from the back side to change it up a bit. All all of the holes have the styrene behind it not just the 4

As for wheels I’m going to be ordering some mst adjustable offset wheels to help see what offset i need and then order another set with that offset

Old 03-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Not much of an update but I painted the bumper gloss black and will be changing the body up a little bit..... well only the cab.

Once they come in stock I’ll be picking up a 4 door Mojave body and remaking the chassis extensions to accommodate the extra length. Im going to be keeping the regular cab bed as it’s already cut up to work on this.

I am also going to be designing new front and rear body mounts for this thing using one of shapeways programs and getting them printed.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I figured while I wait for the body to come in stock I can design some parts to have printed from shapeways.

The red one is the v1 rear body mount which mounts to the rear bulkhead. With this I won’t be able to mount the battery back there but I couldn’t anyway because of the body.

The orange one isn’t finished,and has been changed but it is a front body mount/splitter the bottom piece is 10mm tall and will stick out from the cab approximately 26mm and will be sloped down and towards the middle in the front. It’s 172mm wise so it should stick out about 10mm in the front. The part that sticks up will attach to were the front bumper mounts. I just need to design the part that mounts to the chassis.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

The shapeways parts have shipped! After I test them on the car if somebody is interested in them message me and I can let you know what my shop name is on there but it is not created yet.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:42 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

nice!
i don't know if i can use any of your parts, but i never knew you could design your own stuff using a shapeways design program? that's awesome!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yea they have a bunch of programs you can use for making basically anything. I started using vectory but it was really complicated and I was only trying to make a front body mount that would attach a rc4wd blazer to a scx10 2. The part is an L with 2 holes in it, and vectory was being a pain since I’m a noob using it.

I used tinkercad which is from autodesk. I use autodesk cadd at work when doing electrical schematics so it was at least somewhat familiar. The bad think about it though is it’s almost too basic, specially when your rotating objects. It only allows you to rotate in 22.5* increments which kinda sucks for doing a front lip and continuing it back to the start of the front wheel arch

Old 03-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #13
RCC Addict

I got the parts I designed in yesterday and mounted them to the truck!

With the lip being so aggressive it’s making me want to make a bed cover, a much larger diffuser (the stock d4 one is way to small) as well as a large wing for the rear end.

I’m also going to do at least a chassis top plate and possibly bottom as well. Only because the stock battery mount is what is being used to hold the body on and I’d like to actually use the mounts.

.... I’m also fighting the urge to buy another d4 and make a rwd grip version, as well as cutting the hood off and making it either hinge or have it held on with magnets

Old 04-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

The custom rear diffuser, wing, wing mounts and bed cover mounts should be here tomorrow! I was going to have the bed cover printed as well but shapeways wanted way to much for it so I figured I’d make it. The cover will need to be removable to access the rear body mounts

Old 04-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build!

I got the diffuser on and it’s not exactly on there straight, but I decided to take it outside to get some pics of it. I have adjustable offset mst wheels and tires coming for this thing tomorrow but I don’t know if the wheels will work. The wheels on it now are 0mm offset and it seems to fill it out as good as it’s going to get and the new ones are +3 to +9mm offset.

When I took these pics I noticed that I really need to lift the front end up a little bit as it’s sitting on the street. Which is were this will be run most of the time. If I can’t I may try some grip tires on this, and then get the other version of the d4 that has dual front shocks. Then the dual shock would be the drift version

Also if anybody knows someone who makes custom carbon fiber chassis, please let me know. So I can contact them and get the extended chassis mailed out to them.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

watch the DIY car builds by Olive RC on youtube. he has done custom carbon fiber deck builds, i think with MST or sakura parts. he makes it look easy but if you get a sheet of CF you could probably do it yourself. if you've done this much so far, a custom CF deck should be a piece of cake!

as for the chassis being on the ground, raise that up for sure. does that chassis have droop settings? if so start by backing those off for more articulation ( heavier body will look nice with some travel for realistic movement of suspension over bumps with softer springs)
if not just add some pre-load on your dampers, and after either or both of those techniques, just drop the body lower.
and the offset, just do what drifters always do with 1:1 cars... add negative camber and do some fender mods! dremel or sand them from the inside to make room.
judging from the first outside pic, the rear easily has 3mm of room for more aggressive offset wheels.

nice seeing some progress on this build! i still need to get my butt in gear on my AE86 build!

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I have more progress and some slightly bad news even though it’s really not that bad.

I got the mst wheels I ordered and there will need to be a ton of camber all around for the wheels to tuck even at their lowest offset so I’ll be picking up some mst wheels with less offset and a tool to help mount drift tires.... I HATE mounting drift tires.

The wheels were the mst gt wheels in matte silver/black.

But now for the slightly bad news. I was hoping to mount the rear of the cab this week and get the body ready for paint but then I got the great idea of attacking the body with thread and a sharp knife. Some time later.....

Now I just need to figure out if I want to have magnets hold the hood or hinge it. I’m also debating on trying to cut out the center portion of the grill and possibly making some kind of fan shroud behind it using some spare esc fans

Old 04-11-2018, 03:24 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Didn’t get much work done yesterday.

I picked up an aluminum drift tire mounter/remover and was able to get the last little bit of the tires on.

When all 4 tires were on I had to see how much of a clearance issue they were going to be

I’m very happy to say they shouldn’t be much of s problem at all! With 3mm offset all around they fit the wheel wells quite nice and don’t poke out at all. There is some ni it rubbing in the rear but that should be an easy fix.

Other than that all I did was ca glue the grill into the body. That way the front fenders would stay lined up when the hood is on

Old 04-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

tinkercad is so easy to use. its pretty simple to hollow out parts too to keep the cost down on shapeways. turn your part into a "hole" and you can see through it. then just use shapes to "cut away at it" before you join the pieces after you have placed them, turn the original part back into a solid. then join them together. I try and get all my cosmetic parts down to 1.5mm thickness.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Got a small update as i was mostly getting other rc’s ready for the high 70 degree weather for the first time this year.

Anyways I went to the lhs yesterday to get parts for the Baja rey and sitting there on the counter was one of the employees tf2 lwb.

Now I have been wanting to paint the drift truck a nice medium blue that’s hopefully metallic and when I saw this color, I knew I found what I wanted to use. So I asked the employee what color it was and if they had used any primer.

They said they sprayed tamiya ts-50 on to the stock body and that was it. So I picked up the only can that they had left. Here’s a pic of what it looks like on the can:

c0bra’s d4 rwd rc4wd hilux drift build! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
c0bra's tc4 rwd build c0bra Non Crawler RC's 20 09-28-2017 10:34 AM
Super-G Formula D Long Beach RWD DRIFT SESH 2 LAboy Non Crawler RC's 1 07-11-2017 02:46 PM
RWD RC Drift at Super-G FD Long Beach Sesh LAboy Non Crawler RC's 2 04-16-2017 04:49 AM
RWD Drift 2003EDGE Non Crawler RC's 0 06-23-2014 06:07 PM