Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Snow Day!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Snow Day!!!

So the wife and kids are away, it's snowing, and I'm a little burned out with winter rebuilds of my crawlers. So what to do? Let's build some snow toys!

First victim was a Redcat Blackout that I picked up for under $100 and haven't done anything with. Ripped out the brushed nonsense and dropped in a 3200kv BL motor and put some paddle tires on it. Figured I could beat the wheels off it and not mind since it's a Redcat. Gotta say I REALLY like the look of this one, the body is what caught my eye and it looks pretty damn cool. It's got an interior to detail out as well.

Under the body the chassis is mostly sealed up. It's flat on the bottom as well - perfect for a snow toy! Driveline is all metal except for the spur...wondering how it will hold up.

Looks straight up mean with the paddles...

Cockpit and driver

I had to swap out the shocks...the stock plastic ones were absolutely awful. Found some aluminum suspenders in my parts box and swapped them on. Much better! Other than that and the motor upgrade, it's bone stock.

I got out to run after dark, and apparently my camera was not happy with the poor lighting and flying snow, so action shots didn't come out well at all. Sorry for the poor pics!

It drove like a straight up beast! Paddles have zero lateral grip, so it was easy to build up speed, crank the wheel, drift sideways, and then hammer the throttle - the car would dig in and absolutely launch dead ahead flinging snow everywhere. Had a blast...for about 7 minutes. Then I either spun the pinion or stripped a spur, not sure. Took it in and dropped it in the tub to dry out. (don't tell the wife) I'll check it out later.

So now what? Looked around the shop for the next victim and spotted my slightly modded clod getting a little older on the shelf. Just a little dusty.

Been a long time since I ran this one...actually had am AM receiver in it still! Gutted the electronics and dropped in a Novak M2 since it's what I had. Not sure why I'd need dig and drag brake, but it was already programmed and ready to go, so in it went.

Cleaned up and ready for snow! I have Juggy tires for deeper snow, but with about 2" I figured the stockers were fine. Set up with 45t motors...Don't want to roll it and wreck the motor!

So it has a good amount of torque, but no wheelspeed at all. Quite a difference from the unleashed beast I was just driving. Still, had a good time noodling around the yard...bouncing all over the place and crabbing donuts. Clods are always fun! Again, sorry for the terrible pic...

In the tub this one went too. Fun, but kinda boring without some deep snow to dig though.

So now what? I had a single pair of paddle tires left from a previous project. I was digging in my Traxxas box thinking I had enough parts to build a dedicated snow beater, but then I picked up my old faithful Slash..Already has a WP system in it. Hmm. Waterproof servo....hmm. So I just bolted the paddles on the back on of it, made some suspension changes and called it good.

Glad I did, this was the most fun I've had with snow in a long time.

It has a 4 pole 3850kv motor on 2S, and rooster tails were everywhere. Spent the night jumping, sliding, and powersliding all over the place.

In typical Slash fashion, it was a true tank. Though 2 packs in 12 degree snow, nothing broke at all, just took the punishment and kept right on rolling.

So, need to check on the Redcat's drivetrain (PITA to get to...6 screws and remove the upper links to check the pinion??) and maybe monkey with the Slash a bit. I have the original HCG chassis that might come in handy. Oh, and clean out the tub before the wife gets home too..

Any future changes and snow toys will be posted here. I've got an idea for a Maxx rear end and some skis...hmmm...

I'd love to see anyone's dedicated snow toys if they have them.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2017, 10:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Snow Day!!!

Fixed the Redcat...forgot to tighten up the motor mounts...whoops! Took it out for a few more shots...a little better, and a balmy 21 today with a serious wind.

Then I spun the pinion - officially this time. Made it almost 10 minutes this run!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Snow Day!!!

Put some paddles on the little Monster
https://youtu.be/tDxE8IAtZno

Send by my Pixel 2 XL with Tapatalk

Last edited by magic_yeti; 12-31-2017 at 06:57 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

Snow Day!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snow day willieone4x4 Scale Videos! 7 01-19-2010 06:17 PM
Snow Day!!! Grizzly4x4 Chit Chat 18 04-01-2009 02:00 AM
Snow Day MR. MAX Maryland 6 03-03-2009 05:49 PM
Snow Day MR. MAX Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 03-02-2009 08:35 PM
Snow day! Mikekx65 Chit Chat 11 12-17-2007 01:58 PM