Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra’s first Kyosho!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra’s first Kyosho!

So here is the build of my very first Kyosho product, an inferno gt2 ve. I’m sure a lot of you guys don’t really know what these are, it’s an 1/8 scale electric on road car. Now most cars in this category have a 325mm wheelbase, the gt2 has a 360mm wheelbase meaning it’s just over an inch longer.

The build started when I picked up a brand new roller off eBay that was never ran. When it came in I was shocked to see that a brand like Kyosho would use Phillips hardware? I thought only tamiya still used it!

So the first thing I did was get a list together and ordered a ton of hex hardware for the car. I also placed an order for front/rear sway bars, every carbon fiber piece snr graphite makes for the car and 2 sets of grp rubber tires.

Now that all of the parts are in let the build begin! First thing I did was tear down most of the gt2 as I’m replacing all of the hardware I can. I started with the rear diff and everything went smoothly, however that didn’t last. As once the front end was off as well as the steering posts problems struck!

***Which I will update when the issues are resolved and let everyone know what all happened***

With the chassis reassembly brought to a stand still, I decided to keep going with the other stuff and everything went smooth again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: c0bra’s first Kyosho!

Those 1/8 on road cars look like sooooo much fun! Congrats.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #3

I'm jealous. I'd love a GT8 car.

Are you from Easton, PA?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm jealous. I'd love a GT8 car.

Are you from Easton, PA?

Yea, but I live in the suburbs

Old 03-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
The build started when I picked up a brand new roller off eBay that was never ran. When it came in I was shocked to see that a brand like Kyosho would use Phillips hardware? I thought only tamiya still used it!
My experience with Kyosho is from the 80's.... so I'm used to the Phillips hardware being used.

I love and bought most of the Kyosho re-releases, but haven't built or checked to see what kind of hardware they use yet.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Yea, but I live in the suburbs

I'm about an hour from Easton.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
My experience with Kyosho is from the 80's.... so I'm used to the Phillips hardware being used.

I love and bought most of the Kyosho re-releases, but haven't built or checked to see what kind of hardware they use yet.

Oh ok. I’ve been told earlier gt2 ve did come with hex hardware but they eventually changed back up mostly Phillips.

I made a little bit of progress on the gt2. I picked up two 6x10 bearings for part of the steering rack. I noticed one of the bell cranks has bushings so I figured wile it’s down I might as well change that.

On a side note I shipped the chassis I had back to the manufacturer and they sent me the tracking for the new one. I will let everyone know about the chassis issue when it is in fact resolved.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Now that the chassis issue is completely resolved, I will let you guys know what happened.

I ordered the carbon fiber chassis with top plate, steering drag link, front and rear shock tower and center top plate. Literally every carbon fiber part that snr graphite makes for the gt2 ve. I ordered the parts on a Thursday morning, it would’ve been 4am in Cali. And the parts weren’t at the post office until Tuesday, despite their website saying it takes 48 hours to ship.

As you may have noticed previously noticed I received the wrong chassis which was for an ofna gtv2e.

As soon as I noticed the chassis was wrong I went on the snr website and called them to try and remedy the problem. At first they were saying that Kyosho must have changed the chassis and they were convinced that they did nothing wrong. After a few minutes they realized that they were in the wrong and agreed to send me the correct chassis, as long as I sent back the one I received.

So I sent back the chassis the next day and they were able to cut the new chassis and get it ready to ship that day. Unfortunately they didn’t take it to the post office until late Tuesday as it just arrived here today.

Anyways now that I do have the correct chassis, the roller should be rebuilt this weekend. It may even be ready to run as well!

Old 03-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #9

I hope you start posting photos soon! I wanna see this thing progress.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I do have this picture, although it’s not very good.

I started building the car with the carbon fiber chassis and got about half way through it until I realized that the factory dirt guards don’t mount to it. This shouldn’t be a problem for an onroad but with me not planning on getting a body till summer, I’d rather leave some protection on the sides.

Anyways the entire build went extremely smooth! The only issues were lining up the screw holes when mounting the diff cases to the carbon chassis as that one doesn’t have a kick up.

For electronics I’m running a hobby-people brushless digital servo with an airtronics receiver and a tekin rx8 and 2250kv combo. It will only go up to 4s, but if I feel the need to get a 6s lipo I will swap the electronics out for hobbywing