Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: HumboldtEF's RWD Drifter (Kenmari MST RMX 2.0)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default HumboldtEF's RWD Drifter (Kenmari MST RMX 2.0)

Well I'm a bit of a RC drift noob so I'll probably be asking for help mostly, but I also have some pictures to share of my build.

I started with the MST RMX 2.0 kit which is a rear engine RWD, most people prefer front mounted motors for RWD but I thought this would be fun.

I used the 73" Nissan Skyline body from ABC Hobby

Testing out the body on my Ascender, maybe not.

I'll update the parts list later but it does run a gyro, the first one I got didn't get along with the servo and the new one still seems like its not dialed in either.

I started out using some old crawler parts that were just a bit overkill, Mamba max pro ESC and a roc 412 motor.
Just this weekend I pulled that motor out and put in a Tamiya sealed can.

The front spoiler has been battered a bit and already needs to be zip tied up, where do I find 1/10 scale zip ties by the way? lol
I'll stitch it up eventually.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-24-2018 at 04:21 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HumboldtEF's RWD Drifter (Kenmari MST RMX 2.0)

trim down some staples, paint them desired color: BAM! scale zipties!

looking rad so far! really dig the body choice, I'm a sucker for old school JDM. excellent job on the light kit! also very nice choice for chassis. I'm considering something from MST (if i can get it front engine with shaft drive).
could use some smaller "period correct" wheels, but now I'm just being a critic lol

good call on the Tamiya can. what ESC? report on how it drives now?
i hear ya on the gyro tuning. man i cant wait to get cracking on my drifter(s?)!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
trim down some staples, paint them desired color: BAM! scale zipties!

looking rad so far! really dig the body choice, I'm a sucker for old school JDM. excellent job on the light kit! also very nice choice for chassis. I'm considering something from MST (if i can get it front engine with shaft drive).
could use some smaller "period correct" wheels, but now I'm just being a critic lol

good call on the Tamiya can. what ESC? report on how it drives now?
i hear ya on the gyro tuning. man i cant wait to get cracking on my drifter(s?)!
Nice idea on the staples.

Yeah the body was one of the main reasons I wanted a drifter, I'm a bit jealous of the number of bodies that are available compared to crawlers.

I've heard the FSX DS is a nice front mounted kit which can go 2wd or 4wd, also shaft driven. though it kind of looks like it might be discontinued

I did pick up a set of vintage looking wheels along with the giant blingy drift wheels, I just figured maybe the ugly bling wheels might work better so I got them just in case.
I got a set of protoform vintage racing wheels (Watanabe looking wheels) with a set of HPI vintage drift tires.

I really need to find a bigger chunk of cement to run on, right now I use my garage and its small and has some big raised cracks in the cement that while sliding I actually hit with the sidewall of the tires.

One thing I have not mastered is how to get big angle and hold it, well I should say I haven't mastered anything yet really but holding a big angle is up there.

I have a Mamba Max Pro ESC in it right now, and I haven't got around to testing the new motor as I've been distracted with a paint project (RC4WD Cruiser body), and when I drift in my garage it kicks up a lot of dust so thats on hold for a bit.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-20-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Okay I've started to brush up on how to setup my gyro, its a Futaba GYC440 (for surface vehicles)and I just figured out I'd been going about setting the sensitivity wrong. I was setting the sub trim when I needed to be using the end points instead. So the whole time I've had this I've been at 100% sensitivity and when I adjusted it it wasn't changing so it was a bit frustrating.
I think I'm liking the normal mode over AVCS mode and a low value 2-30%. The Tamiya can was nice for low speed control, not as snappy as the Roc412.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Sorry for the silly question, but what exactly does the gyro do?
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The gyro makes me not look like such a fool, It controls the countersteering so as the rear end kicks out is senses the G-forces and it sorts out which way to countersteer, how quickly, and for how long. I tried to run without one but that requires a lot of skill with RWD, I was just spinning out everywhere as you need a super fast reaction time when countersteering a little RC car. I thought I could handle it without any help as I have plenty of experience drifting in sim racing games, but no its different, the window you have to catch a slide is much smaller (timing wise). Running without a gyro can be done much easier with a 4WD drifter as the front tires are pulling you through the turn.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The only silly question, is the one that is never asked ;)

Glad you have tackled the tuning on that! I really cant wait to vet started on my drifter project.
I might even just get some steering parts from a slider (lol yeah no like a roller without wheels) and just take parts off that i could use on a custom cut deck, much like the oliverc guy on youtube does.

But yeah those hpi vintage wheels are great, i have a set for my ae86 bodies.
Protoform makes them now, if you ever need new tires.
You know who makes awesome old school wheels is... oh jeez ummm they make the lc70 hardbodies... pandora? No... killerbodies? Might be pandora i will google in a sec.
* raffee! Team raffee makes sweet drift wheels!

And yes drifters have way more body choices than crawlers!
I need another ae86 trueno, a scion frs, and maybe a 69 camaro from vaterra.
2 of those will go on a custom built solid axle chassis... if i get things right!

So yeah sweet skyline, hope you find a good smooth spot to get some speed going! Helps to lay out a basic course with tape, too. About 4 years ago i found myself hooning in the street in front of my house and yes i held some long slides, but i dont think i could practically and skillfully link a technical course at all. I hope to change that once i go rwd with gyro.

Find a church parking lot or something! Parking garage?

Last edited by Shinchu; 04-21-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Nice build so far, I just picked up the rtr version of this chassis to have something simple to learn on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 01:58 PM   #9

Great looking car. I love the body. I've always wanted a Yokomo and RWD drifter. Maybe one day. Too many wants in front of that though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Just a tiny bit of news I was happy to see, Amain is now stocking a lot more MST replacement parts, which is awesome, I love Amain!

I used to have to go to AsiaTees which is not my favorite vendor.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:46 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

from what ive seen, a lot of people run rwd setups with a gyro. I guess its easier to enjoy instead of tryin to react as fast as you can and chancing the angle and losing exit speed.

im waiting for a 82-87 s12 body to pop up somewhere to start my rwd build. my 50-50 build is a hpi pro-4 with a Lancia Delta Tamiya body set.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Just a tiny bit of news I was happy to see, Amain is now stocking a lot more MST replacement parts, which is awesome, I love Amain!

I used to have to go to AsiaTees which is not my favorite vendor.
MST makes good stuff. Just wish more people would stock their parts. They need to get a bigger following stateside.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
from what ive seen, a lot of people run rwd setups with a gyro. I guess its easier to enjoy instead of tryin to react as fast as you can and chancing the angle and losing exit speed.
I'd love to be able to drive without it, maybe with much more practice. I did try it without it but that was with the crazy brushless motor, I should probably try again with my brushed motor.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I have been looking into RC drifting as well. I have my eye on the MST FXX-D S IFS kit but not sure if this is a good starter chassis or not. Any thoughts?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

That's the one I have been after but it's out of stock everywhere :(
Really want the front engine rear drive dynamic but everyone swears by rear weight bias for rc drifting.
Maybe rear battery would do it on the fxxd.
Also really want to build a front motor solid rear axle chassis but not sure how to start.

Just have to hold myself over with my tc3 maybe pull the front diff to see what happens...
Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Honestly I have no real point of reference to compare the FXX-D to, I'm still not sure if I've got my current drifter dialed in.

I seem to fight understeer alot, stock setup had a fairly extreme toe out up front and I'm still running that. I dont really know the best way to test and tune as I'm still learning how to drive it.

As it sits I need to fab up a front bumper, more likely to be a front lip looking thing, though im not sure how much protection I'll get from a super low bumper. But I need to deal with that before I destroy the front end of the body.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

yes, but always remember this: DRIFT damage, is MANLY damage! its like rock rash. proof its not a mall crawler ;)
(but i get what you mean. i have a couple basher bodies for my AWD drifters)

as for suspension setup, i could tell you what works for me on a 1:1 all day long but i don't know if that would translate to RC. is the understeer due maybe to weight shifting off the front at turn-in? softer front springs maybe or thicker rear shock oil to slow the weight transfer? just be careful not to over-stiffen the rear, you don't want it skipping off the ground.
just spitballing as i have yet to tinker with a RWD RC myself... but i cant friggin WAIT!

Last edited by Shinchu; 07-27-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Man, now I want a drift car... lol
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Now you know how I feel about the smt10 lol

My drifting background is really beckoning... I'm watching wangan midnight with Andrew... Hard to resist ordering new bodies for the 4wd drifters... Need to throw more figures on eBay haha

I really want a rwd platform too. Maybe put an r33 gtr body on my 4wd tc3 and use it for grip...

Casey you try any suspension tuning yet?
Old 07-28-2018, 12:50 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post

Casey you try any suspension tuning yet?

Well a while back I did try stiffer springs up front cause I was dragging the front end with the ballast I put up there. I was hoping the ballast would help fight understeer.

I also tried zero-ing out the toe up front, but I wasn't sure if it helped or hurt.

I end up second guessing every change I make though.

HumboldtEF's RWD Drifter (Kenmari MST RMX 2.0) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tommy R's RWD Drifter Tommy R Non Crawler RC's 44 02-08-2016 10:08 AM