Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: pan car... drifter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default pan car... drifter?

so a few of you know i have been kicking around an idea.
the idea is to build a sort of solid axle RWD drifter, preferably front motor mounted.
i have thought of a few different ways to accomplish this. everything from re-skidding an IRS drift car to using a CC-01 with resized rear links.

yesterday i was on big squid and there was a new pancar that popped up.
2019 XRay X12 US & EU Pan Cars « Big Squid RC – RC Car and Truck News, Reviews, Videos, and More!
ordinarily, i would just keep scrolling since its neither a crawler or drift car.
or... IS IT????

what if i used a pan car for a base, and modified it to have better steering angle (maybe just buying aftermarket sakura/MST/yokomo parts) and then removing the MOA rear drive and fabricating a rear platform to hang 4 link and a yota axle off the back???

at that point its not much of a pan car anymore, but it might be a good place to start. or just... custom cut my own chassis from a sheet of aluminum and go crazy???

still trying to figure out how to have front motor (maybe even capability of slipping a 3D printed scale engine cover around the can) and still have room for steering servo/linkage and front suspension.
I've been doodling but i think i need to just get in the garage with some aluminum and my dremel...
this is kind of what i have in mind but with a solid rear axle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-Hb1foPVY

any pointers?? I've never done any custom chassis stuff and not sure what tools i might need (drill press would be nice).

thanks for reading and let me know if you have any ideas!

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-07-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: pan car... drifter?

I applaud your ambition! My only contribution is to say that if you don't already have the Yota axle, the rear axle from a Feiyue FY-03 is the right width for a touring/drift car body.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

thanks but i'm going for a bit of scale too. yota axle is under the AE86 corolla

but the feiyu was actually another consideration i had in mind for the base chassis.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You may also find inspiration on the Olive RC youtube channel. He does a bunch of custom chassis stuff, and often with a solid rear axle.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

seen those and his builds are another inspiration along with this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anJfJvApWEg
looks exactly like a pan car turned drift car. their facebook has them listed for $150 RTR but ebay link is dead and their ebay store is nothing but toothpaste now???
Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I know very little about pan cars but I would guess starting with some drift parts might prove a bit easier to get the crazy angle you'd want. Maybe look for a used/broken drifter for its front end parts.

If fitting the motor up front along with a 3D printed motor cover and steering /suspension is too much maybe the motor can be placed back a bit so that you can at least have a scale motor under the hood.

I think I'd want to use some chassis rail as a starting point if I were to do something similar.

And the link you posted to the Ebay listing has a note on the page saying the listing has been removed because the item is no longer available.

When I fabricate the most common tools I use are: Disc grinder, cordless drill, welder, vice, drill bits and various fasteners

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-08-2018 at 03:32 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

vaterra ascender rear axle. narrow it as much as you want. good idea. maybe I should keep my Tamiya pan car.. hmmm.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yeah I mean really you can use any rear axle you want.
I just so happen to be building a toyota that needs... a yota axle lol
But a muscle car with a... Well damn whats the rc equivolent of a scale ford 9"? Anyway that would be cool too!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:54 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Yeah I mean really you can use any rear axle you want.
I just so happen to be building a toyota that needs... a yota axle lol
But a muscle car with a... Well damn whats the rc equivolent of a scale ford 9"? Anyway that would be cool too!
the ascender rear axle isn't 100% scale to any known axle in the 1:1 world. but it would get the job done with what you want. its so easy to narrow its not even funny. I narrowed mine an inch (front and back) and I can fully tuck a set of 1.55 rockbeasts under my yota body with any 1.55 rim. cant do that with a yota axle.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

but there are "other companies" that make yotas in all kinds of widths... ;) really as long as its less than 185mm hex to hex, it will fit under most touring/drifting bodies. 170mm would be MONEY.

or...

148.5 pin to pin (you could fit SUPER deep offset wheels on this! even under Tamiya bodies!)

** ford 9 inch??? (RC Channel CC01 axle so it should be about 165mm hex to hex... BUILD YOUR HOT RODS!!!!!!!)

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-17-2018 at 11:27 AM.