Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Back in the Saddle!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Back in the Saddle!

Finally brought my Stampede back among the running after having not driven it in the last 4 years, especially since it'll be 20 years since I bought it in February 2019. Did a few updates like new chassis tub modified to accept the Traxxas 7600mAh 2s I bought for my E4T 2.0 last spring in place of the older tub I had bought and modded to fit a 7 cell stick pack and lower the ESC to better clear the stadium truck bodies when I run them slammed down over the chassis like this one.
20180818_222908 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
20180819_182733 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
20180824_193551 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

Now it already had the RPM Towers, casters and carriers, arms, Slash 2wd rear skid modded so I could use the also modded Proline Slash 2wd chassis brace, Jato driveshafts, VXL system, slipper clutch, and 2075 servo swaps, New Era front bulkhead, Kimbrough servo saver, 1/8" Associated hinge pin for kingpins, ect. In the last several years I had swapped over to the monster truck body mounts and front bumper when I put the Gate Crasher shell on it, RPM trans case, XX-Long front arms, Slash 4x4 rear arms and carriers, L and XXL GT-R shocks, and changed over to the TQi radio that also came with the E4T2.0 and TSM Rx, and Proline Trenchers and Desperados.

Well, here's a few pics taken after work today
20180825_163902 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
20180825_163717 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
20180825_164113 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
20180825_163658 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

And a short video of it doing some test hits until the 19t pinion fell off, where I kinda hit the house and gouged the body a bit
The impact isn't in frame, but you can hear the hit and me go "Ooohhhhhh" in the background around half way through it.
20180825_171801 by bjoehandley, on Flickr
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Back in the Saddle!

Picked up a new pavement body for the Pede, a JConcepts Illuzion Hi-Speed body for the Rustler VXL. Also going to use a set of Proline's Stampede sized Street Fighter tires on their Chromed, deep offset Desperado wheels that I bought back and assembled with duct tape in 2012, both of which are disco'd now.
20180914_222415-1 by bjoehandley, on Flickr

Mounted and painted pics to come later though, need to see if I have the cans of Model Master Viper Blue Pearl I want to shoot it with that I thought I did. Going to the Museum of Science and Industry with my Father tomorrow too, so I'm going to be a bit busy during the day and possibly wiped out by the time we get home.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You know model master isnt the best thing for a lexan go fast truck... Its going to crack and flake like crazy.

Tamiya PS series is the way to go.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
You know model master isnt the best thing for a lexan go fast truck... Its going to crack and flake like crazy.

Tamiya PS series is the way to go.

It's the Model Master 2 stage lacquer that I'm using and have used before and had fantastic luck with it in the past.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Shot a new body for the Stampede this weekend

Not including the bedliner, this is the first multicolor lexan paint job I've done since 2012!
Old 06-05-2019, 07:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Nice looking paint job there! I haven't run my Stampede in a couple months so you've inspired me to not only get it back outside but also to do a new body for it ( probably a JConcept's Ford). I used to love the PL Road Rage tires when I was running them on my RC10GT... donuts and drifting for days! Those tires look very similar. Anyway... cool to see the progress of your Stampy!
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Nice looking paint job there! I haven't run my Stampede in a couple months so you've inspired me to not only get it back outside but also to do a new body for it ( probably a JConcept's Ford). I used to love the PL Road Rage tires when I was running them on my RC10GT... donuts and drifting for days! Those tires look very similar. Anyway... cool to see the progress of your Stampy!
Thanks, I've had this truck 20 years now, although it's got more in common with George Washington's Axe than any stock Stampede made since '95 at this point I have to look for some of the earliest pictures I have of it, but this is the oldest on my Photobucket at this point

vs

vs

Last edited by BJoe; 06-05-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Welp, I may have a dead servo, the 2075 in it may only be 10 years old........and in a truck that has been getting beat like an anvil from the time it was driven by the original owner in ‘98/‘99 through tonight
Old 07-19-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Put work in on the Stampede last night......and early this morning..., putting in the new servo and bearings as well as test fitting the new tires and wheels. Unfortunetly, I only got 1 pair of each type put together, my cordless drill ran out of juice and I really wasn’t up to running the other pairs down by hand. Not sure what happened to the inner seal on the top gear bearing, but since those had been in the truck since ‘99 and the wheels bearings ranged from a few years to about 15 years old, just putting all fresh bearings seems like it was a good idea. The servo is the same torque as the 2075 that has been in the truck for a decade or more, but shorter, metal geared, aluminum cased, plus is heavier and has a nice short lead which works great for where I have the Rx at and this will hopefully help the weight balance of the truck......may add some tungsten putty in the openings around the servo in the tub while I’m at it too.

Just ordered another one of those bodies as well as the same colors, that way I can have one that is cut up to clear the Trenchers and another that can work with the Primes since those don’t need the body to be clearanced like like the Trenchers do with the body sitting that low over the tub.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Keep forgetting to post these, here’s better pics of the truck with both full sets mounted up!

Old 09-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the chance to see how my changes worked, other than losing the wheel nut on the left and likely stripping the center, it did go well and still wheelies when I don’t always want it to!

I probably will just swap this wheel up front so I can run more tomorrow then eventually get the aluminum centers after while.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:26 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Well, got my Traxxas Hoss driveshafts and slipper rebuild for my Stampede, they fit at the transmission, but don’t clear the hollow balls I was using, so I had to use the ones that don’t have a flange on one side. As you can see, the slipper disk and pads are very well used!

Last edited by BJoe; 09-19-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Finally got the chance to run a pack through the Hoss rear driveshafts and new slipper, very happy with the results!

I also found these and George of the Jungled the truck once

I’ll post some pics and video once I figure out how to edit on this phone

Last edited by BJoe; 09-27-2020 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Had nothing better to do today and somewhat tethered to home due to the PICC Line and CADD pump, so I broke the Stampede out and bashed a little in my drive and front yard.
001(250)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I just upgraded my son's slash 2wd with the HD emaxx slipper rebuild kit. It uses aluminum pads.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I just upgraded my son's slash 2wd with the HD emaxx slipper rebuild kit. It uses aluminum pads.
I thought about those, but the normal ones worked well enough for a decade, especially with only 2s, I was ok with the standard pads.

Back in the Saddle! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DMG Stiffy Kit: Long Back or Short Back DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 0 01-14-2014 09:48 PM
Back in the Saddle Again JKJim Illinois 5 07-07-2012 09:29 AM
Land Rover Lightweight - Back in the saddle CrawlnSlow 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 12-03-2009 06:46 PM