Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: OS's Outlaw Rampage Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default OS's Outlaw Rampage Pro

Finally, afer months of patient waiting, it has arrived!

Yahoo! No seal on the box, so the RPP packing peanuts got inside and were all over the place... Having a party I guess, I don't know.

Opening the box... just a few parts bags, roughly 70% assembled chassis, body, tires, and some foam wheel thingies.

Never see the foam axle protector thing before, but it's pretty cool. Even protective rubber boots under the foam! The best treated axles I've ever seen.

All the aluminum has a nearly perfect mirror finish...almost hate to drive it!

I spy a slipper clutch in there!

Front suspension has some serious chunky monkey going on. Very thick and cool looking. Full bearings in the rack and bellcranks, and some very nice ball studs, cups, and turnbuckles. Steering feels great already! Smooth and slop free!

This thin chassis has me worried...hopefully there's more to bolt to it as it is kinda flexy. Assuming there is... On a side note, there's plenty of room for the purists who want to do a trans/driveshaft conversion. Looks like it would be super easy to do. I'll be sticking with the MOA for simplicity and performance gains.

Oil filled diff on a straight axle...I like it!

Wheels are 3 piece beadlocks. 6 of them! Love the look of the combo...won't be in any hurry to replace them. The wheels would look pretty good on some of my crawler builds actually.

Kyosho knows shocks....and these are no exception. Absolute beauties!

And the power combo I'm thinking of...120a ESC/9.5t motor. Subject to change.

I've built quite a few Kyosho's over the years and IMO they are second only to Tamiya in the quality of their kits. Great instructions, well molded and crisp parts, and a quality feel to everything as you assemble it. So far, this looks to be no exception! Can't wait to get building.

Last edited by OSRC; 08-13-2019 at 06:06 AM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Default Re: OS's Outlaw Rampage Pro

I knew you were looking forward to this one. Congrats!

I didn't know it came as a roller. That's pretty cool.

RPP needs to get with the program and stop using packing peanuts. I'm surprised California hasn't kicked them out for using those.

The foam axle protector tires are hilarious.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I could see a rear VP F9 axle paired with a simple 1/8th style transmission on the chassis. I love how the front suspension on this truck!
utieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Damn, can't wait to hear what you think after running. This one has been up on my list for a while now.

I didn't expect those wheels to be beadlocks! Nice!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for sharing OSRC! I look forward to seeing more of the details

I was just at a house for sale and had to put on these little booties over my shoes to protect the floor... so those little foam tires they included must be so you can run this indoors and not scuff the floor while its on the market lol (I'll let myself out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

RPP needs to get with the program and stop using packing peanuts. I'm surprised California hasn't kicked them out for using those.
In California they need to be 100% recycled and many will use the biodegradable (corn) type. But I do hate all the packing peanuts I end up with. I have orders shipped to my work and always open them up there and empty out the peanuts before taking it home.

EDIT: It looks like the spur gear has some flattened teeth, though I'm guessing it really doesn't and the picture just made it look that way.

And how do the tires feel? they have the look of a hard tire.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 08-13-2019 at 03:18 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Thanks for sharing OSRC! I look forward to seeing more of the details

I was just at a house for sale and had to put on these little booties over my shoes to protect the floor... so those little foam tires they included must be so you can run this indoors and not scuff the floor while its on the market lol (I'll let myself out)

In California they need to be 100% recycled and many will use the biodegradable (corn) type. But I do hate all the packing peanuts I end up with. I have orders shipped to my work and always open them up there and empty out the peanuts before taking it home.

EDIT: It looks like the spur gear has some flattened teeth, though I'm guessing it really doesn't and the picture just made it look that way.

I figured the peanuts had to be recyclable. They're still a PITA.

I agree. I also thought the tires look to be hard. Hopefully they are not.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yay! I have been waiting for this for a while... such a cool looking truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post

HA!

They do look shredded in the pic. Odd. They're fine though. (EDIT - no, it's toast - good eye!) The tires are on the harder side. Pretty grippy for a go fast, but not nearly as sticky as a crawler tire. Rock hard foams, as expected.

Got a bit done yesterday...

The manual is a full build manual even though the kit is mostly assembled... wondering if they were going to do a full-on kit at some point. In any case, wasn't quite sure where to start. Started with the steering since the components seemed to have to go in first.....and after a while noticed on certain steps there's a little "70%" notation - these are the steps that you do for the 70% assembled kit. Odd way of doing it, but then I've never fully understood the Japanese.

Armed with said knowledge, dug out an old Solar servo and got it mounted in. Oddly, I had to turn my endpoints down to 50% in both directions. Make sure you have a radio where you can set endpoints!

Kyosho plastic is solid - more like a composite....definitely use some grease on the machine screws that thread into plastic.

Since it is prebuilt, sometimes you need some interesting solutions. Like when putting on the servo cover - it keys into the front shock tower and sets with 1 screw. It's way tricky to get a driver in there with the front bumper on...so it was either remove the front bumper or get creative! A 2mm driver on an extension on my big ol' Kobalt driver did the truck.

Didn't like the 9t motor solution...not to mention the wires didn't even come close to reaching the ESC. Ordered something new so more fun build pics might be a while.

Last edited by OSRC; 08-21-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Couple of quick updates.

The aforementioned 70% tag in the directions....

Waiting on the motor and ESC so in the meantime started working on shocks and body work. The shocks are beauties... can feel the quality just holding them in your hand. Filled them with the kit 35wt oil and got them bled and mounted up.

Front

Rear...love this long travel suspension.

Overall chassis shot. Goes together very quickly.

Took apart the beadlocks - all six - and sprayed them and the grill with satin clear. Not super happy with how it came out - yellowed up quite a bit. Stupid humidity! Certainly did knock down the shine though

And got the body color on....
Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Got the paint on... usually the body is the last thing I do, strange to do it before the electronics are done. Pretty happy with how it came out, though the silver came out a little gunmetal-ish. I have some decals on the way to dress it up a bit.

Can really see how the satin yellowed up the grill a bit. Should have just left it chrome. oh well...

Couple of poser views

Love the stance of this truck from the front!!

Painted the cage silver in spots to bring out some of the details a bit. Came out pretty nice imo!

Full drop out, full compression, and a flex pic with the stock swaybars (this is a crawler site, gotta have one!...)

Old 08-17-2019, 10:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Bad-Ass!

Love how the rears tuck under full compression...

Looks like a real fun truck, driving impressions soon?
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

That came out great , I just ordered mine can’t wait to build it.
DatsunDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:04 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

this makes me want to run one in stock sct....

how soft is that suspension with a 2s in it?
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
this makes me want to run one in stock sct....

how soft is that suspension with a 2s in it?
Subjectively it feels pretty good! Stance is just a bit lower than in the pics with my 5000mah pack onboard.

Lots of adjustments here... not just the usual shock and swaybar options but the cage can be set up with 1 or 2 tires, and the entire thing shifts back and forth relative the the rest of the chassis to adjust weight balance. Pretty clever.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I think I might be able to mount a shorty in line with the chassis for easy correction in the air. with your 2s in it, does the front or the back rebound faster?

also, 1.9 wheels?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

SLOW MO DROP TEST!!!

man this thing looks wicked awesome... i NEED one!!! my wallet is still recovering from the enduro and a few upgrades in mind, so it will be a while but i WILL get one as i need a go-fast to replace my recently sold yeti.

thanks for the write up, pics, and initial impressions. this thing seems to have fallen silently on the market. i do like hwo easy you said it would be to adapt a more "traditional" drivetrain, and yes that rear cage balance assembly is extremely clever!
cant wait to see you SEND IT!
i was actually up late last night watching some Australian stadium supertruck racing and this thing... heheheh… fits the bill perfectly!

* yes??!

we should hound matt and josh to do this for their next monthly mayhem challenge???

Last edited by Shinchu; 08-20-2019 at 09:27 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I think I might be able to mount a shorty in line with the chassis for easy correction in the air. with your 2s in it, does the front or the back rebound faster?

also, 1.9 wheels?
Yes, 1.9 wheels.

The rear soaks up the drop like butter, the front seems a bit stiff. Front rebounds a bit faster from a 12" drop.

Driving update: HumboldtEF called it, the rear spur was toast from the factory. Looked at the pic again and it did seem strange. When installing the motor I spun the trans and found that about 2/3 of the spur is fine, there's about 1/3 of it where the gear profile is messed up (just happened to be where I took the pic previously). Almost looks melted. Odd.

Installed the motor anyway and hoped for the best. Took it out for a test and drove 1/4 throttle to set the steering trim and knew right away it was done - it was absolutely screeching and then started skipping... not good. Checked the gears and sure enough the spur is completely wrecked about 1/3 of the way around, right where the profile was messed up. E-mailed KYOUSA, we'll see what they say. Never even got to 1/2 throttle.

Got a bunch o pics, I'll have to get them uploaded.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Yes, 1.9 wheels.

The rear soaks up the drop like butter, the front seems a bit stiff. Front rebounds a bit faster from a 12" drop.

Got a bunch o pics, I'll have to get them uploaded.
needs softer springs up front.

1.9 wheels might be an issue for me.. not sure yet.

I know if I'm going to race this thing.. I'm going to need to change the front shock tower and shocks to get more up travel and down travel.

its unfortunate that happened with the gears man..
Old 08-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

2.2's would be an easy swap. I can bolt on some slash tires and take a pic if it would help.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:31 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Hey how is it size wise compared to the 1/12 HPI trophy truck, didnt you have one of those?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:12 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Hey how is it size wise compared to the 1/12 HPI trophy truck, didnt you have one of those?
Its about the size of a regular sct. Has same wb as a losi 22sct 3.0. I think the kyosho is a tid wider though.

And yes, a set of slash tires on it would really help me out.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

OS's Outlaw Rampage Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho outlaw rampage pro soze Chit Chat 202 09-04-2021 07:19 PM
NEW Kyosho Outlaw Rampage PRO 2WD Kit - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-05-2019 10:03 AM
Pre-order NOW! The NEW Kyosho Outlaw Rampage PRO 2WD Kit - Pre-order Now! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-09-2019 05:06 PM
Rampage MT PRO ATV Richalaska Videos! 3 03-10-2016 05:43 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Truck grizzlypaugh Non Crawler RC's 5 04-11-2012 04:14 AM