RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Non Crawler RC's (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/)
-   -   Suggestions for on-road kit to build? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/non-crawler-rcs/611016-suggestions-road-kit-build.html)

westerlycarrot9 08-16-2019 11:01 AM

Suggestions for on-road kit to build?

Greetings! I've been in the scale crawling scene for a couple of years now and i was thinking about getting into the on-road rc scene by building a kit. However i'm not sure which one to pick up. Any suggestions? I would love to get the HPI RS4 Creator Edition but i can't find it anywhere online. As far as Tamiya's TT02 kit goes i'm concerned about the kit's ability to withstand a brushless system.

JatoTheRipper 08-16-2019 12:28 PM

Re: Suggestions for on-road kit to build?

Don't bother with HPI as that company is barely staying alive and it's anybody's guess how long they will stick around.

Tamiya is great. They have beginner, fun kits, like the TT-02 up to very high end on-road racers.

The TT-02 will hold up to brushless just fine.

Brake Weight 08-16-2019 01:57 PM

Suggestions for on-road kit to build?

I’ve got a BSR M.Rage from HobbyKing. It can be fitted to the Tamiya M bodies and is a simple design. Worth a look if you’re still in the market if/when they become available.

westerlycarrot9 08-16-2019 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5956681)
Don't bother with HPI as that company is barely staying alive and it's anybody's guess how long they will stick around.

Tamiya is great. They have beginner, fun kits, like the TT-02 up to very high end on-road racers.

The TT-02 will hold up to brushless just fine.

TT-02R seems like a good starting point. I mean the price is great and it even comes with some extra hop-ups! Having said that is the TT-02 considered to be a hobby grade chassis at this price point?

JatoTheRipper 08-16-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westerlycarrot9 (Post 5956705)
TT-02R seems like a good starting point. I mean the price is great and it even comes with some extra hop-ups! Having said that is the TT-02 considered to be a hobby grade chassis at this price point?

Yes, the TT-02 is hobby grade! You can get replacement parts and upgrades.

The R is very nice as is the Type S. I forget the differences. One has more different A-arms and more adjustable suspension geometry if I recall correctly.

JC3 08-16-2019 03:05 PM

Do you want to actually race the car or just have it for fun in parking lots, etc? I race on-road carpet and run Associated TC7.1, VBC D09, and as of Wednesday an X-Ray T4-19. My Associated car and all of the parts is for sale.

westerlycarrot9 08-16-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JC3 (Post 5956719)
Do you want to actually race the car or just have it for fun in parking lots, etc? I race on-road carpet and run Associated TC7.1, VBC D09, and as of Wednesday an X-Ray T4-19. My Associated car and all of the parts is for sale.

Mostly for fun in parking lots etc. I don't plan to take part in competitive racing although you never know :lmao: I checked out the TC7.1 kit and it looks awesome! More durable than the TT-02 and more expensive too!

OSRC 08-16-2019 04:07 PM

If playing in parking lots, I highly recommend a shaft drive car. Just one less headache to worry about.

My TT02R handles BL no problem...just for the record. :)

JC3 08-16-2019 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westerlycarrot9 (Post 5956736)
Mostly for fun in parking lots etc. I don't plan to take part in competitive racing although you never know :lmao: I checked out the TC7.1 kit and it looks awesome! More durable than the TT-02 and more expensive too!

For that purpose, I can strongly recommend the Traxxas 4-Tec. For the money I, and many others, find it hard to beat. It is a four wheel shaft drive car that is very capable. It comes in a regular version with a 12 turn 550 motor and stock Traxxas ESC and also a hot rod version with a brushless motor/ESC combination. The hot rod version is very, very fast indeed. The car is, with a couple of exceptions, very durable and reliable. Parts are cheap and readily available. Hop up parts are plentiful.

At my indoor carpet track we have a 4-Tec race series and in the summer we occasionally race the regular version of the car, with grippier tires, on the asphalt track outdoors. Everyone who has this car seems to love it and it always brings smiles to peoples faces when they are run in groups. Definitely worth a look!

Yes, the modern touring cars are expensive. However, it is very common to find incredible deals on used, often times barely used, kits. In fact, every kit I've purchased has been used but in like new condition with abundant spare parts. The savings can be significant. You may want to visit RCTech.net for more information. Beware - racing is addictive!