Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: how much power can a pede really handle??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
I'm a stupid C U N T!

Default how much power can a pede really handle??

whats the most amout of motor and vltage can i push through a pede, IE mamba maxx and 7700 or velocity 4.5
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you are going to put alot of power throught one, you will need at least the upgrade gears from Traxxas (alum idler, delrin top gear), and either CVD's or the Steel Output yokes for the sliders. The stock plastic yokes wont last verry long with all the power.
TMXONR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMXONR
If you are going to put alot of power throught one, you will need at least the upgrade gears from Traxxas (alum idler, delrin top gear), and either CVD's or the Steel Output yokes for the sliders. The stock plastic yokes wont last verry long with all the power.
gotta upgrade to bigger bearing carriers/steering knuckles too.
rcbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Check rc-monster.com for tranny upgrades. I'd recommend the aluminum/steel differential http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail...onentspedediff , as well as an aluminum idler gear. Steel yokes are a must, or go to MIP CVD's. I'd do an RPM gear cover and hub carriers as well.

I have a full FLM 'pede running a Mamba Max 7700kv motor. I'm definitely going back to RPM knuckles and arms for durability. I have the steel differential and have found that it increases durability but adds a significant amount of rotating mass.

I kept having issues with balooning tires. They turn into pizza cutters when you corner, so I'm currently switching over to 17mm buggy rims and tires.
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Agreed on the CVD's and the internals.If you're running that 4.5 make sure the mesh is dead on or you'll strip the spur gair-run-teeed.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

O'yeah,well, we just installed 7 cells in our Pede today:-P
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:29 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I have a pede with the 5.5 and never had a problem. I have the aluminum idler and steel top gear and as long as it's well greased it works fine. It's true about the plastic yokes. Those were the first to go. I did have to replace the main plastic gear which houses the spider gears but that's it so far. With the 4.5 don't even bother running the stock idler. You'll tear it to shreads in 5 minutes.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Ours is all stock and handles 7 cells great. Burns rubber BIGTIME!
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I found the limit a while back. It will handle a Novak SS 5800 or similar on 6-7 cells all day long. Once you move up to a GTB or LRP Sphere kit, you will need to add the aluminum idler gear. But you shouldn't have any more trouble on 6 cells. Then I went with a Lehner Basic 5300 on 8 cells and that was just too much. It would desinigrate the diff gear every time I did a speed run. I broke many axles too. I switched to HPI Dogbones and snapped them about the same so I tried MIP CVD's and they weren't any stronger either. The best axle combo for me was the stainless steel outdrives, stock sliders, and Street Sport axle stubs. If I have to do it again I will use Jato shafts though.
f150dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #10
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

i think JRH has a fast lane converted pede that is pretty much indestructable, it take just about anything that he'll throw at it, it doeshave full metal intrnals though. JRH correct me if im wrong.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote