Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Greatscott's Heavy Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Greatscott's Heavy Equipment

Along with the rest of my RC stuff, I have started collecting/building scale heavy equipment.

One of the jewels in my RC crown is my King Hauler.

King Hauler by Scott O, on Flickr

King Hauler by Scott O, on Flickr

Both truck and trailer have had mods done after these pictures were taken. Here is a quick video and a scenic tour of my garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9rc5uWaJRs

I have a couple of other projects in the works, as time permits.

One project I am working on now is my forklift. RC4Wd and a couple of other places have REALLY nice, and functional forklifts that I would love to get, but $800 is a lot for any RC, and would be over the top for a forklift.

I found a Tamiya forklift that is 1:14 scale-ish, and it is only $40. But, it is a wired model. I built it without the wired remove, and have started designing and printing parts for it; sadly, I ran out of the PLA I was using, so I am waiting on the order.

To get it functional wirelessly, I have three small ESCs on order, two for the skid steer, and one of the forks. I also have a blinker circuit on order from Hey'Ok. The whole mess will be controlled from my DX6e.

Here it is after getting it built.

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

The drive train is pretty simple

While I am waiting on parts and filament, I am making pallets

They need to be clean up, then painted to look like they have been used and abused.

Last edited by Greatscott; 01-01-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Greatscott's Heavy Equipment

That rig looks sweet...very realistic. Such would be cool to have...but, as far as I'm aware, no one around here does scale rigs. None of the LHSs even carries them.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Greatscott's Heavy Equipment

I’ve currently got 9 crawlers/scalers on my shelf. When Covid hit I started a King Hauler and the flatbed trailer, and I’ve never had such fun! As you’ve discovered these fit perfectly and Drive better. I actually sold the King, and the client wanted another Rig for his business. So I built a Cascadia, and Box Trailer, complete with logos .

What’s happening with your truck crane?

I’ve bounced around Flatbed, roll off, Overland Camper, just don’t know what I want.

Yes some of us build these!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Just watched the video. Not bad on the driving...especially in backing up...but, gotta ask -- Can ya drive the real thing

Something that I'm pretty certain helped in getting my commercial license, was that my dad had a fishing boat when I was younger. While he never actually let me drive the truck (I didn't even have a Class C license at the time, being a young teenager), he did teach me everything is needed to know. Unfortunately, he sold the boat when my sister was born, so it was gone a year before I got my license. Of course, that was almost 40yrs ago...but, when training for my commercial license, I still remembered everything he taught me.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Just watched the video. Not bad on the driving...especially in backing up...but, gotta ask -- Can ya drive the real thing

Something that I'm pretty certain helped in getting my commercial license, was that my dad had a fishing boat when I was younger. While he never actually let me drive the truck (I didn't even have a Class C license at the time, being a young teenager), he did teach me everything is needed to know. Unfortunately, he sold the boat when my sister was born, so it was gone a year before I got my license. Of course, that was almost 40yrs ago...but, when training for my commercial license, I still remembered everything he taught me.

Nope, never have driven a semi. But, I have a good amount of experience with trailers behind a pickup, including 5th wheels.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nope, never have driven a semi. But, I have a good amount of experience with trailers behind a pickup, including 5th wheels.
5th wheel = close enough for govt work...especially if it was an RV trailer (those are a PitA. I'll take driving a motorcoach over an RV 5th wheel.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
5th wheel = close enough for govt work...especially if it was an RV trailer (those are a PitA. I'll take driving a motorcoach over an RV 5th wheel.

The biggest key to it is knowing what is around you, and if you don't have a good idea, or get confused, stop and take a look around. The same goes for driving a forklift, from a 2K to a 30k, it is all the same, you just have to understand where you are in space, and what is around you.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The biggest key to it is knowing what is around you, and if you don't have a good idea, or get confused, stop and take a look around. The same goes for driving a forklift, from a 2K to a 30k, it is all the same, you just have to understand where you are in space, and what is around you.
That, and understanding when left is "leftx, and when left is "right".

Old 01-17-2021, 11:11 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes, it’s like making sausage...
I finally received the roll of PLA I have been waiting on and could finally print the cab for my forklift.
In here I have three ESCs, an LED blinker, a BEC and a RX.
I have wired everything up and labeled the whole mess before I took it apart. The RX and BEC have flat surfaces and being held in with servo tape. The ESCs don’t have enough flat on them for servo tape, so I am using Shoe-Goo.

by Scott O, on Flickr
Old 01-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

It is alive!!!!!!

Finally got this thing put together and running. I need to balance out the expos for the skid steer, it is still a bit funky driving it (see the video below). But, everything works!!!

I need to find another solution for a battery, the 2S 400mha pack fits nicely right in front of the back wheel, but it only lasts for about 10 minutes or so.

Here is a rundown of the equipment:

Spektrum DX6e and 4-ch RX
Three 10A Amazon ESCs
Castle 10A BEC (the ESCs only poop 5VDC, and I wanted at least 6.5VDC for the lights)
Hey'OK blinker and 5-port JST connector
The cab, running boards, wire clips and light brackets were designed in Fusion 360 and printed on a CR10 with Hatchbox filament.

Greatscott's Heavy Equipment - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heavy equipment operator of the century crawl-o-matic Chit Chat 22 08-08-2011 07:54 PM
So Uhhh, You Heavy Equipment Guys.... RANOVRU Chit Chat 55 01-09-2011 03:12 PM