Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Kyosho Outlaw...outlaw!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #1

Default Kyosho Outlaw...outlaw!

It seems to me that the Original Kyosho outlaw rampage doesn’t get much love. Edith the newer pro version it seems as though everyone forgot about its ugly older brother.
I wanted an outlaw pro soon after I bought my first crawler (scx10), and as you may know, couldn’t find one that wasn’t at a ridiculous price since everyone went out of stock on them. So I decided to do some research.
Turns out, the pro is almost exactly the same as the original, for the exception of the 1: the cage 2: rear stabilizer 3: front stabilizer 4: pro steering 5: metal skid plates 6: shocks 7: body of course

I came across a outlaw rampage for a damn good bargain (new) and I decided turn it into my first short course truck project.

I’ve already mounted the rear cage and rear stabilizer, the stock shocks don’t perform so well out of the box, but I readjusted the storing to more tension and will soon be adding some better oil to help them damp even better.
The stock tires are rock ****ing solid, and these are the same as the ones that come in the pro version except for the chrome rims. I will be replacing these with some old Mickey Thompson Baja claw tires I have laying around.
The stock electronics really aren’t so bad, the only weak point being the servo and battery, but I soon discovered that I’m too much of a noob at short course to even drive it with my gens ace 2s 5k mah Lipo, so I’ll stick with the stock battery for now. Yes the MOA is UGLYYYY, but it seems to work fine, although I will soon be drawing up a plan to switch it to a shaft driven axle!

I don’t know why, but I like this truck. Out of the box it’s clumsy and a bit almost shy driving, compared to out of the box traxxas trucks I’ve seen. But for some strange reason I was drawn to the challenge of making this ugly little shit something neat and of my own.

Here are some pictures of the progress thus far,
I will be focusing on getting it to the “pro” stage before I decide what I will be doing for the body.

[IMG]4F43DB2A-008B-492A-86DB-E1141A130FB9[/IMG]

[IMG]A90846BE-603F-480B-9FED-87C4C5FDE879[/IMG]

[IMG]9A7A042F-24CD-40D0-8A79-F60FA86724EC[/IMG]
luisfdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Kyosho Outlaw...outlaw!

I love this platform. Its innovative and fun. I have both. Local hobbytown has the RTR for $150. I'm currently setting up the RTR with the shorter trailing arms it comes with.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a Pro on order, and I can't wait until I get it in. These do look great, and I'm sure there will be a lot of tinkering with it.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I have a Pro on order, and I can't wait until I get it in. These do look great, and I'm sure there will be a lot of tinkering with it.
Tons of fun, you won't be disappointed

Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Have you gotten an estimate of when it will be restocked? On the Kyosho Japan website it says “undecided”.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfdt View Post
Have you gotten an estimate of when it will be restocked? On the Kyosho Japan website it says “undecided”.
I got it on backorder at Tower Hobbies which says April. Whether or not it goes through, I don't know. I'm in no rush and if it never happens, I'm ok with it as well since I've got a bunch of projects already.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:00 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I hope they dont discontinue it. Companies discontinue stuff fast nowadays

Old 01-31-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormallySkullking View Post
I'm currently setting up the RTR with the shorter trailing arms it comes with.
Interesting, I don't recall my Pro coming with shorter arms... Curious to see how that turns out!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Interesting, I don't recall my Pro coming with shorter arms... Curious to see how that turns out!
Just in the RTR I believe. I'm HoneyWanutRC on Instagram. I've run it a few times. Still needs work. The axle is pretty close to the chassis now. Not sure what their plans were with them.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:53 PM   #10

Let’s hope I am wrong, but I think Kyosho will or has abandoned the platform. I mean, the original RTR came in late 2017, and there were never upgrades until the kit came out, and it seems that even than it didn’t gain the popularity they wanted to get for it. It just seems like it because so much time has passed since the original, and the only upgrade parts for it that there is are what came in the new kit, which went out of stock a while ago, wouldn’t they have released upgrades even for the pro kit when releasing it to pump up people to build it and buy it? I just think from a consumer point of view, the whole platform in itself never got as much spotlight as others did or do. Just a quick research online and you can see there is VERY little written about the outlaw rampage compared to any other RC out there. Sad but true. But again, I hope I am wrong.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:50 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

People pushed it away because of MOA and it being a challenge to drive. The entire "scale" thing has got huge. Everything has to be scale. Along with 4wd which we all know is easier to drive then 2wd. Don't get me wrong I love that stuff. Got into the hobby back when the 2wd WK first came out. I just got all crawlered out. I love racing and bashing now. So yeah being 2wd and MOA, no one gave it a fair chance. It's a shame. Its innovative and a fresh new platform. I'm thinking of buying the 2 RTR's at my LHS just because.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisfdt View Post
Let’s hope I am wrong, but I think Kyosho will or has abandoned the platform.
The Outlaw Rampage is on display on their boot at Nuremberg toyfair ... so I hope they're not phasing it out.

MOA is only a problem for scalers ... most buyers are not scalers, they want a RTR that looks good, scale looking as a bonus, but don't really care if the underpinning is scale.
Problem with the Outlaw is more in its offering ... you have RTR with the base one that looks toyish, and the Pro which looks way better but is neither a RTR nor a kit, with no really described differences to justify it being more expensive except the visible rear cage. Pro needs to be available as a real kit for experienced buyers and/or RTR, and description that clearly shows in what it differs from the base model.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

i was just browsing around and came to the same conclusion... i could get an RTR for a steal, then upgrade to the pro parts. hmmmm…. or roll the dice and join in with Soze and wait... and hope it arrives in time for me to pu "the shinchu touch" on it before proline BTF.

risky...

i think i will wait until V-day to make my final decision (funding enhancements?). great thread though. like the idea of upgrading the RTR. question is, does it have enough GO? and would it be better with a gyro-enhanced receiver? (Radiolink RC4G)
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Whatever decision you make just know it's a different driving style that what most are used to nowadays. I've run mine with and without gyro. I'm leaning towards it more fun without a gyro and just running a simple 17 to 20t brushed motor. It doesn't need a lot of power to be fun. Also if you dont add weight to the chassis then I recommend 10wt oil and lower. I added a bunch of weight to the chassis and still am running 10 at shock oil. It's just a different fun truck. I just grabbed another RTR and put it away in storage.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:36 PM   #15

I've had a ton of fun with my Outlaw Pro. I added 14mm axle wideners to give it a better stance. I trimmed the wheel wells so the tires don't rub. I took the sway bars off so it can lean in the corners. I added some class one PL hyrax tires for a little better traction. I run a 10.5 turn brushless system on 2s and its plenty fast. This truck is super fun just running in my front yard and the neighborhood BMX track. I tried running 3s when I took it to some sand dunes but ended up stripping the gears in the gearbox. Kyosho USA had the gears in stock. It would be nice if someone offered metal gears for it so I could run 3s.

This truck is plenty fun on just 2s and a decently fast motor.

Check out some videos of the Pro and other Kyosho cars on the freh squeezed RC channel on YouTube.

bbeck006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:06 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

SNAGGED A PRO AT MY LHS!!!
no discount but...
Build thread coming soon!!!
@soze sorry dude I hope yours comes in on time!
Old 02-08-2020, 05:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
SNAGGED A PRO AT MY LHS!!!
no discount but...
Build thread coming soon!!!
@soze sorry dude I hope yours comes in on time!
That's awesome! I'm in no rush. Too many projects!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2020, 10:13 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Shinchu got so excited the initial purchase rush didn't wear off for over 2 hours...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Wait til you see the vid my son and I are about to make haha
Big plans!
Still need paint and probably bigger batteries. The only 2S I have are little guys for the barrage.

Paint is gonna be cool. Hint: I have done the color before but it's not what you think.

*wow didn't even notice the double post. phone went berserk i guess. removed the double.

Last edited by Shinchu; 02-10-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeck006 View Post
I've had a ton of fun with my Outlaw Pro. I added 14mm axle wideners to give it a better stance. I trimmed the wheel wells so the tires don't rub. I took the sway bars off so it can lean in the corners. I added some class one PL hyrax tires for a little better traction. I run a 10.5 turn brushless system on 2s and its plenty fast. This truck is super fun just running in my front yard and the neighborhood BMX track. I tried running 3s when I took it to some sand dunes but ended up stripping the gears in the gearbox. Kyosho USA had the gears in stock. It would be nice if someone offered metal gears for it so I could run 3s.

This truck is plenty fun on just 2s and a decently fast motor.

Check out some videos of the Pro and other Kyosho cars on the freh squeezed RC channel on YouTube.

Did the Pro kit come with different size rods for the rear stabilizer? I got the hop up part and it came with three sizes, I’m currently on the medium but I think I’ll go down to the smallest!

[IMG]9A17FA16-45A7-4667-9002-A465B2E66266[/IMG]

Also, if any of you guys are interested in following the build on video format, check out the videos I’m putting out on YouTube!
https://youtu.be/NsqO_oV5B1Y

Kyosho Outlaw...outlaw! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho outlaw rampage pro soze Chit Chat 202 09-04-2021 07:19 PM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Pro body on a crawler chassis jason02ws6 Paint and Body 5 03-21-2020 09:07 AM
NEW Kyosho Outlaw Rampage PRO 2WD Kit - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-05-2019 10:03 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Ultima Xporter Non Crawler RC's 10 08-03-2017 04:21 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Truck grizzlypaugh Non Crawler RC's 5 04-11-2012 04:14 AM