Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Which on-road car?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Which on-road car?

Who ever has one or into on road cars,which would y'all suggest?

That chevy on road car from horizon hobbies, traxxas 4 4tec, maybe an associated?

I wouldn't know.
Also which has the more upgrades?

Thanks again guy's!
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Which on-road car?

Probably help to know what you plan on doing with it. Are you wanting to race it? Just sort of bash around with it? I have an old HPI RS4. Never actually got around to racing it but, it was damn fast and handled really well for the "bashing" I did with it.
Sniper4370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #3

I like my Tamiya on-road cars. They have tons of chassis options, tons of body options, and tons of lots of aftermarket parts. As a second I'd go with the Traxxas. I like Traxxas and that probably has the biggest aftermarket.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper4370 View Post
Probably help to know what you plan on doing with it. Are you wanting to race it? Just sort of bash around with it? I have an old HPI RS4. Never actually got around to racing it but, it was damn fast and handled really well for the "bashing" I did with it.
I guess more like bashing, but if someone wanted to have a quick race I'd race him with it.

No drag race speed runs,just something that's fun to hop-up amd mess around.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:53 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Most ‘overseas’ carbon fiber chassis kits with a little research.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'll x2 the Tamiya. The TT-01 or 02 doesn't break the bank, and on 3s it's a heckuva lot of fun and as fast I can comfortably handle.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Since i like ghia's, this came out https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/110-m...-karmann-ghia/
The platform under the body,is it good? Meaning high end chassis?

Last edited by Frank211; 03-30-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Love me some air cooled. Especially the Ghia.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Can'r got wrong with Vaterra, 4-Tec or any Associated, especially the TC4 which for the price is a heck of a kit. I've seen the Vaterra in action in a local parking lot and it's absolute tank. 4-tec should be the same way.

I'd recommend one that has adjustable links/turnbuckles if you can find one, or at least can be upgraded as such. Fixed links are fine, but for tuning and setting up turnbuckles are a must.

The Ghia is an M06 - RWD, Mini chassis. Great chassis and a hoot to drive, just be aware it's a little smaller than most touring cars.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Does it matter if the motor is mounted lengthwise (parallel to a driveshaft like a TC3) or sideways to use a belt front to rear?
Always felt like my TC3 wanted to wander under power, and wondered if it was because of motor torque. Does the motor direction change the handling?

TC3

HPI

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-03-2020 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Deleted the TC3 photo. Much larger than 1200x1200 maximum rule allows
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
Does it matter if the motor is mounted lengthwise (parallel to a driveshaft like a TC3) or sideways to use a belt front to rear?
Always felt like my TC3 wanted to wander under power, and wondered if it was because of motor torque. Does the motor direction change the handling?

TC3

HPI

No belt driven, the way the motor lays,i wouldn't care,I'm guessing?? Wouldn't know nothing abour that.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-03-2020 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Please refrain from unnecessarily quoting photos
Old 03-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yes, in theory belt driven cars where the motor turns in line with the driveline are somewhat more stable under acceleration. Shaft driven cars can have a torque twist effect, though it's pretty minimal. You'd have to be a pro driver to really tell the difference, honestly I never noticed it myself.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:36 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Depends on your purpose for on-road. Are you going for serious on-road racing, semi-racing/bashing or purely bashing?

Asssociated/AE
TC3/TC4 - good for club racing, bashing. Parts are scarce for these kits but you can still find them made by aftermarket brands.

Tamiya:
TT-02 - entry level shaft driven good for bashing and club racing but needs to be upgraded. Variants: R, RR, S, SR, D-Spec (drift)
TA series - (belt driven) TA-05, TA-06, TA07 - club racing to serious on-road racing. Variants: Pro, R, MS
TB series (shaft) - TB04, TB-05, TB-06 - club racing to serious on-road racing. Variants: Pro, R, MS, EVO
FF series (front motor, front drive) - FF-03, FF-04 - pure on-road driving fun. Variants: Pro, R, EVO - I have 2 FF-03, one for on-road and another one converted to rally.
TRF onroad (belt): TRF-415, 416, 417, 418, 419, 420 - These are the race spec on-road cars of Tamiya. Variants: M, MS, MSX, MSXX, X, XS, XR

Note: These cars listed above have many upgrades from Tamiya, Yeah Racing, 3Racing, Hot Racing and other aftermarket brands.

LRP:
S10TC - Club racer, basher. I have this and it's super fun and very durable kit. The stock kit comes with many upgraded parts. Also lots of upgrades from LRP and ZD Racing (aftermarket).

Traxxas:
4-Tec (shaft)- club racer, basher. Durable with nice parts support and upgrades from aftermarket brands Yeah Racing, 3Racing

HPI:
Sport 3 (shaft) - club racer, basher. Like the 4-tec, the Sport 3 has many upgrade parts available from aftermarket brands.
Sprint 2 (belt) - a more competitive kit than the Sport 3. Lots of upgrade parts available from HPI and aftermarket brands.

Then there are also other serious on-road premium brands like X-Ray, Awesomatix, Hot Bodies, Yokomo, Infinity, Serpent, Team Magic, Schumacher, Mugen and a lot more. Also other budget brands with competitive kits like 3Racing (Sakura), VBC, Xpress, Team C, and a few others.

Last edited by Nicadraus; 04-04-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Nicadraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

I've been following this thread as I'm very interested in adding a "different" type of vehicle to my bench (current is Bomber and TRX4). Only use will be bashing around, although I don't like that word as I try to avoid bashing into things!

Thanks Nicadraus, thats a good run down.

I haven't found a good site (like this one) for other vehicles. I like to read about others builds/upgrades/issues etc before buying so I have an idea of what to expect.

Probably not very popular (based on the one thread I could find on here) but I've been looking at the Associated Rat Rod. Looks like a pretty fun car, but finding much info is tough. Simple stuff like- Do I need to upgrade the steering servo right away like most RTR, must have parts on hand, upgrade items, different bodies that fit, accessories, etc.

I guess in hindsight I might be in the wrong thread, as I think what I'm looking at are considered short course vehicles?

Last edited by Cocamper; 04-03-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: added info
Cocamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Which on-road car? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Daughters on road car kalifkid Paint and Body 3 02-22-2014 03:46 PM
On road car? Flatty General Crawlers 1 07-23-2008 01:05 AM