Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: SCX10 V1 basher thing build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10 V1 basher thing build

Ever since I remembered I could stuff diffs into an AX10/SCX10 axle, I've wanted to build something with open diffs... basically a go fast SCX10. I'm not looking for Slash level handling or anything, just an interesting basher to beat around the backyard. Plus, it's fun taking something that's not really supposed to go fast into something that can. Maybe.

This is pretty much a spare parts keep-my-self-busy build. I am hoping to use bits and pieces that I have laying around wherever possible. I started (of course) with an SCX10 axle set and an Axial chassis I picked up here on RCC, but I found pretty quick that the Axial chassis wasn't going to let the axles sit as low as I'd like. Basically a 1 way ticket into barrel roll city. After thinking about it for a while, an Ascender chassis has much higher arches, and seemed like it would work out better. So armed with my box of links and rod ends, I played around a bit until I got a chassis length and wheelbase I liked - around 12.3ish.

I reused the SCX10 links in the back, tore down the rear axle and added the diff gears. I left the stock gears in for now, though the OD/UD options might come in handy later. I also added metal 5mm balls everywhere. Plastic ones are just junk. I picked up new axle cases, but there will do fine for now.

Same story up front, though I used some old CR01 links and added a set of cheapo CVD's. Wanting to keep it light, I'm leaving the plastic bits wherever possible. Until they snap anyway.

Ebay special servo and some Capra shocks with soft springs give a pretty good ride height. These shocks are butter smooth! A modded Axial servo saver should leave just enough cush in the links to soak up hard bumps.

Found this big old 2400kv 550 in my stash, and bolted it up to a 2-speed Vaterra trans left over from my Twin Hammers. Gearing is going to be a issue, This truck is NOT geared for speed, and the additional reduction in the Axial axles compared to the Vaterra axles doesn't help. I'm starting with the largest pinion I can stuff in there just to get rolling but I'm sure I'll need to change this later.

Modded the Wild Boars to work with the Vaterra trans. I had to shave them down a bit so the setscrews would sit on the flats of the trans outputs. I hate setscrews...c'mon Vaterra, it's not 2007.

Just like that - rolling chassis! I mounted the transmission as far forward as possible - I love how the Ascender chassis is so flexible. The battery will be going in the back for better basher weight distribution and mayhem.

Last edited by OSRC; 05-21-2020 at 12:14 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 V1 basher thing build

Some 2.2 HPI Geolanders on 2.2 Revolver rims give it a nice wide stance. I'm sure I'll be experimenting with other wheels and tires, but this is a good start.

It's about 13.5" wide...hoping the extra width adds some stability.

Playing with bodies... This would make a cool Jeepspeed runner.

Dodge Ram, trimmed out and looking like a race truck. I like it.

Sport body...this one's been hacked up, but I like the overall stance of it. Wide fender flares look great with the wider stance. Definite maybe in the future.

Creep Body... I bought this for another build, but it looks perfect on here. I think we have a winner!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm diggin that ram body with it! I saw a trx4 the other day in the local hs with big ol meaty Chevron tires on it. Looked killer and made me want to do something similar to what you're doing. Excited to see the final result and how it runs!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #4
j0e
Rock Crawler

Dude! I'm liking where this is going, D-man.

This is right up my alley.

Following for sure.
j0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I like the last body, and would look cool if it were ratted out a bit. Kinda like a hot rod hoopty
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 V1 basher thing build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting thing about SCX10 Dlux Brass Knuckles on SCX10-II malickie Axial SCX10 II 8 06-08-2017 09:55 AM
Want to build a Crawler Basher particle Newbie General 8 01-03-2017 07:47 AM
first basher build. evan03 Axial Wraith 101 10-05-2013 09:28 PM
WK Basher/Crawler Build WK Joe HPI Wheely King 9 07-24-2008 06:05 AM