Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: c0bra builds a tiny yokomo yd2!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default c0bra builds a tiny yokomo yd2!

Like the tittle says I am starting the build thread for a tiny yokomo yd2! By tiny I don’t mean normal yd2 size, I mean more like a tamiya m chassis, cup racer or mini rs4. You may be thinking I am going to make my own chassis, but you would be wrong!

Wile looking for a particular drift conversion, I stumbled across a wrap up next m concept conversion! The conversion I decided to go with is actually the older version. The newer one has the motor up high and parallel with the chassis. I decided against that because yd2 parts are much easier to get here in the states.

Now wrap up next is a Japanese company so make sure if you go to there website make sure your browser can translate. I’m sure a lot of you can’t read Japanese and translators don’t work on pics, so here’s what the conversion looks like along with Japanese writing

Yes the body in the pic is for a tamiya m chassis, but for my build, a Miata is not always the answer..... unless I can’t find the body I want.

Now I can’t post any pics of the actually chassis, all I know is somebody is walking across Asia with my conversion and will be swimming across the ocean and walking it the across the country, or well at least it seems like it’s taking that long.

In anticipation I placed an order for a yokomo yd2-sx2, this chassis will also help with a secret drift build that super g in Cali is going to help me find. Anyways ignore the secret build, this thread is for the mini!

The plan is to have the yd2 staring at me wile I go crazy wanting to build it. Once the conversion finally gets here and I start putting it together, I will make sure I take lots of pics. As I’ve looked for pics on google and can’t find a single one that not from wrap up next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 11:12 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: c0bra builds a tiny yokomo yd2!

With the ridiculous ship times right now for stuff coming from China, I was able to find the wrap up next driveshafts that are shown in the first post in stock at rcmart so I placed an order for them.

I think the yd2 sx2 ones will work but I ordered them anyways as a precaution. If the stock ones work I’ll have a spare set

Old 07-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Good news!

Let the building and potential head scratching begin!

Since I have not seen a single one of these being built on any forums from the google search I did, I will be sure to take plenty of pics during the build!

Old 07-03-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

I’m excited for both builds. Is there popular drift forum that you are posting this to as well? I just ordered the sx3 and can’t seem to find a forum just Facebook.

Sausage gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Speaking of miatas https://images.app.goo.gl/25GE9BrhybPVxwbM6
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
RCC Addict

It’s not actually both builds, just building the yd2 with the m chassis instead of the stock one. I may still get another yd2.

For anyone doing this exact build the wrap up next instructions are of course in Japanese. So I used the google translate app I downloaded on my phone and all it did was confuse the crap out of me. What it did help with was that I had to use the supplied shaft for the lower front arms and it also mentioned using all of the supplied spacers in front of the arm.

Now onto the yd2 instructions.... I don’t know if this is just a yd2 sx2 thing but wow. The instructions aren’t the best at all. Part of it could be the way I built it to because I did skip around to but that’s not the only issue. The main issue that I noticed is that the included instructions had parts that I didn’t get. For example the instructions showed a bellcrank steering rack and a servo mount that was attached using regular servo mounts, but none of that was included. Instead the instructions that I needed were on another paper.

The other issue I ran into, but people building it in order won’t face is not all of the parts in each bag are used for that step. For example the first bag has the battery holder and the locking piece for it, however you don’t use that until bag 4.

There were some other things I wasn’t very happy about. Such as it including a gear diff with plastic gears but metal cross pins and it suggesting 10k oil. Im building it like this to test it out but I’d rather see a locker instead. Also there is a hole cut in the chassis to clear the spur gear, this is on both the sx2 and wrap up next chassis. To me that seems like the spur is begging to be stripped of used on asphalt like I will be.

My only other complaint so far is that I thought the conversion cane with the vx dock and it didn’t. The vx dock would mount the servo perpendicular to the chassis in between the front arms. Unfortunately that was not the case as I would have to order and wait a few weeks, I decided against it and will have to pay attention to the size of the esc, rx and gyro as a result.

Other than those issues and some interesting translations the build actually went fairly smooth, I did have to use find spacers to use to mount the servo mount which you can see in this pic. Also you can see how little room there is for the esc, rx and gyro.

Here is how it looks now. I still need to build the shocks and get electronics, wheels and tires and a body to see how interesting that’s going to be. I may also get magnet body mounts as well.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I’ve decided against running the servo how it would currently run and decided to order the vx dock. I was also able to find the wrap up next blog which shows how to build the vx dock. I will post the link when the vx dock is here and put it on the car.

I also went to order the body that they used in the description of the chassis. It’s an r31 house Miata widebody but the shipping costs almost made me have a heart attack. Now the body is expensive, and the shipping costs were more than the body itself!!!

Old 08-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Well I’ve now given a kidney to rcmart.....

I’ve placed an order for a r31 house Suzuki jimny body (think present day samurai) because why not put a suv body on it. This body made shipping absurd and painful.

Also in the box will be some different wheels to try and unfortunately no tires because they don’t sell m chassis drift tires for some reason....

Anyways I’ve got the vx dock in, still need to order a servo

Old 08-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
Well I’ve now given a kidney to rcmart.....

I’ve placed an order for a r31 house Suzuki jimny body (think present day samurai) because why not put a suv body on it. This body made shipping absurd and painful.

Also in the box will be some different wheels to try and unfortunately no tires because they don’t sell m chassis drift tires for some reason....
Love the Jimny, no matter what generation they have always been cool.

BTW, when I started foolin' around with my M-08 I have alternated between M-chassis Tamiya tires, Traxxas Gymkhana tires from their old 1/16th rally kits, and Gravity RC 12mm Hex USGT Pre-Mounted 1/10 GT Rubber Tires (from AMain) and there is only a couple millimeters difference in total height through all of these. If you want to try 1/10th drift tires, I doubt there would be much if any issue...

FYI - the Traxxas Gymkhana tires are so hard they may as well be drift-specific, both the slicks and the ones with little diagonal dashes on the tread and the BFGoodrich logo on the sidewall!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:19 PM   #10

I approve of this build. Very cool! Cool body choice. Is it a Drimmy or a Jift?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:50 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Awesome build! Keen to see the body on.
SkR8pN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Alright good and bad news. I got the jimny body in and got it all cut out, which is good.

Trouble started literally right after. I decided to build the vx dock and install the savox 1251 that I got for it. Then more issues! WUN suggests that you use there servo horn so I kooked into it, there are 2 versions that are supposed to work for futaba and savox servos, I could be wrong but don’t they have different tooth count? Anyways there are 4 versions of the servo horn, 2 have an f, 2 have an s and they come in both red and black. Of course the only one in stock was the red one with an f so I didn’t order it.

Anyways moving on I removed the front bulkhead and servo mount that came with the yd2 sx2 (common theme today) and mounted they vx dock. Then yay more issues!! WUN apparently doesn’t include the rear part of the arm mount and it doesn’t even mention that it doesn’t with the vx dock! Of course the arm brace is on backorder.

So then I decided to move onto test fitting the m chassis wheels. Oh boy is there MAJOR clearance issues so I went on the wrap up next blog and found the suspension measurements for the one they built

I started with the front upper arms which are about 5mm too long even with it fully shortened. I could remove the turnbuckle and use a set screw but then there will be no camber adjustments. Then moving onto the knuckle, still major clearance issues! So I placed an order on rc mart for WUN lower y arms, WUN upper arms (it looks like they allow for more camber) WUN Gx knuckle and front axle (vx dock recommends this knuckle and I got the front axle just in case). Then I decided to check the rear end... which lead to all sorts of clearance issues. First it’s hitting the knuckle so I trimmed the plastic knuckle for clearance then it’s hitting the arms! So I added the WUN adaptive rear suspension system (shorter arms with wide knuckles) to the order as well.

I also ordered magnet body posts from Amain and got a hood exit exhaust for the body.

After this round of parts order it’s looking like I should’ve just got a base yd2s as there isn’t much sx2 still on this car. In fact once this full WUN m chassis build it done, the sx2 is being rebuilt

Old 09-09-2020, 09:04 PM   #13
RCC Addict

The yeah racing magnet body posts came in but you apparently have to order 2 sets which I didn’t know. So I went to go order another pair and could get 2 sets of usukani magnet mounts for about the same price so I went with them. I also ordered a ruddog 13.5t motor for this

Old 09-13-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

This build is going in a sort of different direction but not much. I’ve been searching and looking for in stock parts to rebuild the sx2 and some stuff in stock are nearly impossible to find in stock. Also some parts for this build are out of stock already so even if I didn’t take the sx2 parts off this, I still couldn’t finish it.

For that reason I took all of the sx2 parts off the m chassis and will be piecing together this car.

On that note I did order suspension mounts for a yd2 sx, part y2-301ac. From what toe block are included in that, they are not the same as the sx2 but they are in stock so they will work. I have found a kit on super g for the same mounts from the sx2 but they are out of stock, and WUN makes the correct mounts for the front but i don’t know if they will work.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Finally an update! Got a yd2 kit with gyro on the way for this build

Old 01-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

How about this one bud? Any progress?
I love the idea of M scale drift! We need a decent M scale AE86 body... the current 1:10 scale ae86 look YUGE next to sedans of the same wheelbase.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
How about this one bud? Any progress?
I love the idea of M scale drift! We need a decent M scale AE86 body... the current 1:10 scale ae86 look YUGE next to sedans of the same wheelbase.

There’s an update coming, but some of the parts for this car I’m robbing for other builds and want to get that sorted.

The rear suspension is on and to make it narrow enough for the m body, I need to order really short driveshafts. Plus the spur gear and mounting hub I already stole for the Travis build.

c0bra builds a tiny yokomo yd2! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Allanon builds a tiny tire Green Machine Gremlin allanon1965 1.5 Scale Rigs 9 05-16-2019 08:36 PM
Chino63's F-150 a tiny tire tiny truck story. chino63 1.5 Scale Rigs 76 07-11-2018 03:17 PM
looking for prerunner builds. post builds here wcdfmt510 General Scale Talk 19 06-27-2013 09:48 PM