Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: WHAT your using a robot arms on a rc???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default WHAT your using a robot arms on a rc???

YES you read that tittle right. I am going to be using a robot arm on an rc. Yes i am probably a bit too crazy but ones the fun in doing everything normal?

Ive wanted to do a build like this but have never pulled the trigger. First it was going to be a scx10, but that will be too top heavy and could easily flip. After that it was just a dream.

Fast forward several years later and i decide to pull the trigger on a matte black edition king hauler! I went with this version because i dont want to paint the body and just watched too much loading wars on youtube. Then after realizing that i dont live in canada, and i dont know anyone else with a semi. So the wheels started turning.

First i saw someone building a dump truck so i looked into the conversion..... about the cost of a vs410. Then I thought why not build a tow truck until I found that it cost a vs410 origin plus mamba x and receiver. So needless to say that was out of the question. Plus using an MFC and making it like every other semi on the internet was out of the question.

In comes True Scale RC! I saw that they sell a 32 inch chassis and knew i needed to use it! Thats when i realized i needed to do my dream build but there was a slight issue.... the number of required channels but luckily in comes GCM with their transmission conversion. Now i dont know if going with it or not but i will at least lock the transmission in second.

Now for the rest of the build so far! I was able to talk to the airplane guy at my LHS about this crazy idea and he suggested a dx8 or e (i dont want my radio talking to me so dx8e it is). So with that in the mail it was time to look into finding a robot arm. Now Im a bit impatient and didnt want to wait for someone to carry it from china, luckily i was able to find one. Then I needed servos, i was planning on using a savox 2290 as the base and then savox 1256 servos for the rest but I need 180 degree servos. I was able to find tower pro mg996r servos for cheap on ebay and are in the country!

Currently everything is still on the way here besides the king hauler, arm and savox 1256 steering servo. I have a 27 and 45t motors sitting around but i may pick up a 13.5 or 17.5t brushless sensored combo to be even further from normal with this build. Either way it will be ran on 2s with the bec set at 6V.

Also i am still debating on getting the true scale rear suspension and possibly adding a third drive axle out back. Also unsure if i will cut off the sleeper or not?
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2020, 10:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: WHAT your using a robot arms on a rc???

This should be a blast to follow along on.

rolling a fatty now to wait for it to begin. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:33 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

In gonna follow this I think, robot arms = cool

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Interesting!

I have no choice but to follow along and see how this turns out!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I had questions about changing the 2 position switches on the dx8e to 3 position but after getting the remote in I realized that I don’t actually need to!

Before getting I called horizon and they weren’t much help. Basically they said I needed to get a dx9 and 9 channel receiver and kept telling me the radio wouldn’t work.

So instead of returning the dx8e, I ordered the gcm transmission conversion so I don’t need to build the 3 speed anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #6
RCC Addict

All of the 180 degree servos and the 360 degree servo came in as well as the true scale chassis. Now I need to put the arm together and get it to work how I want it to

Old 07-14-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Got the arm together. From the bottom of the base servo to the end of the grip it’s about 16 inches. With the arm being this long, and having a 32 inch chassis, I would need a ton of even 12 inch servo extensions. So instead I placed an order for servo wire, male and female connectors and a crimp tool.

Once it all comes in ill be able to make the required servo extensions for this truck

Old 07-15-2020, 02:57 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

This arm will be mounted to the framerails on the truck? As long as you install outriggers on the sides you shouldn't tip over. Without outriggers I think it would tip at less than full extension below 45°
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

WHAT your using a robot arms on a rc??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota's Cupholder Robot and little Sharp Robot Cellphone Natedog Chit Chat 4 10-04-2016 12:39 PM
Hitec 5995tg Robot Servo Fix - Help save your robot servo from overheating kevinlongisland Electronics 56 03-11-2009 03:48 PM
Robot. MOTORRAD Chit Chat 3 12-14-2004 12:29 PM