Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: "Scrappy" No Prep Street Eliminator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 08:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default "Scrappy" No Prep Street Eliminator

As the title implies, after I built the previous No Prep I had a pile of parts that I decided to not use during the build, and most importantly, the RC Racing Innovations chassis was not here in time for that build. Well, it arrived last week. (12+ week lead time). So I am motivated to use the "scraps" and build another No Prep that is more "Budget Friendly".

The reason that I was so insistent on wanting to try the RC Racing Innovations chassis was the unique Zero Degree front tower/bulkhead design. It is supposed to be much more stable than the standard front lean that is built into the Slash. Time will tell on that front, but it looks interesting.

Current parts:
- RC Racing Innovations Slash 2.5 G10 Chassis
- Stock Bandit Front Arms
- RPM Bandit Rear Arms
- RPM Front & Rear Towers
- RPM Front and Rear Blocks/Carriers
- ABEC 5 Bearings
- Converted to full turnbuckles
- Traxxas Ultra Long Shocks on all 4 corners with STRC Red Aluminum Caps
- Amazon 20kg Servo (ProMod style Steering)
- RPM Transmission Case
- HR Sealed Diff with 500k Fluid
- HR 32p 58T Spur
- Slipper Eliminator
- Shortened Slash HD DriveShafts
- Aluminum Hexes
- RC Racing Innovations 8.5" G10 Wheelie Bar

I have a HobbyWing 8 SCT ESC and a matching sensored 6100kv Motor to drop in with a Futaba RX.

Wheels and Tires
- Proline Split 6 Beadlocks (Rear) with Extreme RC Carbon Rings
- Raw Speed Front Wheels (on order)
- Raw Speed Rear Clay Tires
- Raw Speed Front Clay Tires (on order)

I was not all that impressed by the common Proline body mounts, so I have ordered a unique setup for the body.
- Exotec Rear Slash Body Mount (Carbon Fiber)
- Drag Race Concepts front Zero Degree Bumper (With Body post preovisions)
- Custom Works Body Post Kit

I am not certain what body I will be going with on this one. I do not want to duplicate the Nova from the last build.

Here are the current pictures:
Attached Images

Last edited by xirtic; 11-28-2020 at 11:30 AM.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: "Scrappy" No Prep Street Eliminator

That backwards front bulkhead threw me for a bit there, does it make the wheelbase any longer?
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
That backwards front bulkhead threw me for a bit there, does it make the wheelbase any longer?
No different. The chassis is designed to put it backwards to create the zero degree tower and keep the wheelbase the same. It is pretty neat.

Xirtic
Old 11-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
No different. The chassis is designed to put it backwards to create the zero degree tower and keep the wheelbase the same. It is pretty neat.

Xirtic

Ok, just curious! When I was building my parking lot basher Bandit with the RPM trans, I accidentally put the arm mounts on the wrong arms (luckily, I prefer 0 toe in!) and discovered that it stretched the wheel base a hair! Ended up trying it on my Stampede too and liked the change there enough to keep it on both.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Xirtic
DragRace Concepts also makes a Zero Degree front bullhead, which gets installed the normal direction.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:46 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
DragRace Concepts also makes a Zero Degree front bullhead, which gets installed the normal direction.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
The flipped factory bulkhead would be easier to replace if it breaks though
Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The flipped factory bulkhead would be easier to replace if it breaks though
Just curious how the stock-flipped bullhead would be easier to replace. I haven't ordered it yet (although, I am strongly leaving towards it), but, the best I can tell, both would require removing all the exact same screws & parts in order to replace. Is there something so "different" about the DRC zero-degree bullhead, that it "complicates" replacement?

Old 11-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't think the stock bulkhead would be any easier to replace but it would probably be cheaper. I will be curious to hear how you like this zero degree front end setup once you get it running. Please let us know how it works.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:57 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just curious how the stock-flipped bullhead would be easier to replace. I haven't ordered it yet (although, I am strongly leaving towards it), but, the best I can tell, both would require removing all the exact same screws & parts in order to replace. Is there something so "different" about the DRC zero-degree bullhead, that it "complicates" replacement?

It is installed differently. There are no screws in the top of the bulkhead, but instead of 2 or 3 on the angled lip of the bulkhead connected to the chassis edge, there are now 4 thru the bottom into the chassis. No top plate or steering bellcrank to deal with. Different for sure.... Likely same work.

Xirtic
Old 11-24-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

It would be a part you could walk into just about any hobby shop that sells Traxxas parts and at least get the stock part and may have an assortment of aftermarket replacements too!
Old 11-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It would be a part you could walk into just about any hobby shop that sells Traxxas parts and at least get the stock part and may have an assortment of aftermarket replacements too!
That, is she with. Traxxas parts can be found in almost all hobby shops. At the same time, being a machined part, as well as being a part that's in an area that is highly unlikely to get damaged, it shouldn't need to be replaced. In regards to the physical replacing, again, no difference between the DRC & Traxxas parts.

Old 11-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

And the build continues....thanks go out to USPS and FeEX for getting some parts here quickly.

I replaced the RPM front carriers and blocks with aluminum units from Atomik. I have these on my first No Prep...as well as my basher slash...they just fit and work. The rears are still in-transit.

I also replaced my Amazon special servo (it drifts on center) with a Savox SC-0251mg. I have this same one in my basher slash and it is rock solid. It runs a tad larger than a STANDARD servo, but it just fits between the chassis rails. It is also a good match to the HR servo horn that allows the pro-mod style direct steering. Also with the servo I added a "glitch buster" capacitor. It is small, and should keep things running smoothly.

I also mocked up the ESC (Need to still solder wires) and dropped in the motor. Everything fit well. I also found an extra Futaba ESC so I pulled out the Orange RX.

The body will be mounted differently. Instead of the Proline Extended body mounts I am using a DRC CF body mount and bumper. It has been installed and will work well. None of the holes from DRC matched up with my build, so I had to drill some that would fit my needs. The Custom Works body posts are a bit short for the body, but server well for mock-up. The Rear body mount from Exotek has not arrived yet.

Finally I wanted to make this build look fancier than it really is, so I replaced many of the visible steel washers with red anodized aluminum "fancy" washers. They just add a little bling to a basic build.

The ride height is pretty spot on. There is about 1/3" of space up front under the bumper...about 1" in the back. She is sitting on DE Racings new front wheels and tires...rear are also DE Racing Clay tires. I think that their basic looks, but sticky clay compound will do this build well.

Here are the progress pics.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Looking good. Just ordered a bunch of parts for my build (two of which are coming from across the Pacific, so I could be waiting over a month for their arrival).

Old 11-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Looking good. Just ordered a bunch of parts for my build (two of which are coming from across the Pacific, so I could be waiting over a month for their arrival).

Waiting is a huge part of this segment. I waited 12 weeks to get this chassis/wheelie bar. Now I am waiting for the very unique and hard to source body. (doing a Vega build)

Luckily we are facing 4-5 more months of colder Temps, so no real events happening here for a while.

Xirtic
Old 11-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Waiting is a huge part of this segment. I waited 12 weeks to get this chassis/wheelie bar. Now I am waiting for the very unique and hard to source body. (doing a Vega build)

Luckily we are facing 4-5 more months of colder Temps, so no real events happening here for a while.

Xirtic
Funny you should mention doing a Vega. "Iron Resurrection", on 'The History Channel' (if I'm recalling correctly), recently did a street drag car, which was a Vega. They painted it a bright metallic purple, which I thought was spectacularly-perfect.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:48 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Also waiting for a Backyard Vega Body for my TARP build.
Looking good. Other than body and body mounts. I have my 1st build, the Chuckworks Redshift pretty much ready to make runs.

Here in Mi, we are entering Screw that Season. heh. Used to love winter, until my 3rd round of Frost bite. Now not so much.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:29 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I actually miss the snow and cold (I am from the Chicago area until 3.5 years ago). But yes... It kills outdoor No Prep. Now I live just East of Nashville. Temps here are too cool to run now until late March.

My first build is getting dialed in as weather allows (just finished it in mid-September as the weather started changing). This one is quite different than that build as the goal of this build was to use scraps and limited purchases. Should have it running this week. Just will be waiting on the body... Even have paint already.

Xirtic
Old 12-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Today a few minor changes to this build.

- Installed the Atomik rear aluminum bearing carriers.

- Replaced the thin steering links with better turnbuckles and rod ends... Allowing better centering of the servo horn.

- Replaced the stock bulkhead with the RPM unit from my first No Prep build. (it got the Barnyard RC 2.5 DEGREE unit. )

Waiting still for some parts to arrive.

Xirtic
Old 12-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Those VXL tie rods are a better choice for strength!
Old 12-06-2020, 10:18 AM   #20
RCC Addict

A little bit of progress this morning.

Replaced the rear rpm tower with an Exotek carbon fiber unit, and added an Exotek rear carbon fiber body mount plate. The part quality is great, but I wish their aluminum pieces came. In red instead of blue. The design of the tower allows better shock placement and accommodates the Long Ultra shocks while lowering the center of gravity.

I also placed the shorty battery. Lots of space in this chassis.

Xirtic

"Scrappy" No Prep Street Eliminator - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A pair of No Prep Street Eliminator builds! Jim85IROC Non Crawler RC's 11 04-07-2020 08:51 AM
"Scrappy" the grocery getter S-10 Blazer R.Billy Rob Micro Scale Rigs 32 03-03-2016 01:00 PM
freestyle "street skiiing" bad ass vid STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 7 11-30-2011 07:13 PM