Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Wrap up next Travis build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Wrap up next Travis build

Now I am just starting this build and I have searched the depths of google and have not found a single build thread for this conversion. All I have found are a bunch of videos with finished ones and stuff in the wrap up next blog.

For those of you that don’t know what this conversion looks like, here’s a pic from the previous owner of this one

To explain what this chassis is, back in mid 2018 wrap up next came out with this conversion, mostly available in black but there were red and silver limited editions. The chassis has the ability for 4 different overall positions plus the mirror image of each. Mine came prebuilt for a rear high mounted motor, but rear low, front low, and front high are also possible. I will be keeping it in rear high mounted with the motor plate on this side.

According to WUN (wrap up next) the car is based on the yokomo drift package. However MST and yd2 parts can also be used which is the route i will be going as parts are easier to get than drift package.

So that is the route i am going with this.... sort of. I will be looking to see if the cost of a donor is actually going to save anything as I’m going to go with as much WUN parts on this car as I can. So the only parts I’ll be using off a donor are basically small odds and ends parts.

This is most likely going to be a slow build but I will document as much as I can along with what parts I used. I know this is an old conversion, but it may help someone who is just now getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wrap up next Travis build

Got some parts ordered that require me to cool off PayPal a little bit. On its way from rc mart are the WUN vx rear suspension, gx knuckle and combination front axle. Also ordered the arm mounts off a yd2 sx2, yokomo titanium turnbuckle set and low friction hinge pins.

When parts arrive I will post pics with part numbers and assemble what I can

Old 11-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Have more parts coming in from Amain. So I should be able to get some progress made when they arrive, and way more when the other parts arrive

Old 12-07-2020, 06:29 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Not much of an update but I took the chassis completely apart and replaced most of the good hardware with black and also mounted the protek 160ss with the servo horn. This chassis even has channels under the front and rear to help route receiver wires

Old 12-18-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Alright got body posts, magnet mounts, shocks, wheels and a body coming for this thing!

Old 12-20-2020, 12:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Big update coming this week! Rcmart parts should be here Tuesday! Still need to order a rear shock tower and tires but I should have just about everything else to make it nearly a roller!

Old 12-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

oh man tuesday?! You got this lol
Ironically I have tons of drift wheels and tires stockpiled from 2007.
Sakura was even nice enough to include a set with the kit! Gonna use them for practice/burners.

Any hints what body is going on this Travis?
I have a few but primarily going to use my missile ae86 trueno body to learn with so I don't smash up a shelf queen.

Last edited by Shinchu; 12-20-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
oh man tuesday?! You got this lol
Ironically I have tons of drift wheels and tires stockpiled from 2007.
Sakura was even nice enough to include a set with the kit! Gonna use them for practice/burners.

Any hints what body is going on this Travis?
I have a few but primarily going to use my missile ae86 trueno body to learn with so I don't smash up a shelf queen.

It’s a Corolla te27 body from Pandora, I’m going to paint it red to match the chassis. As far as wheels, I ordered a set of drift element 6 spoke wheels but after I check the offset I may order more old school inspired wheels.

Also placed an order from rcmart for the WUN rear shock tower, carbon esc mount, and bumper support. The support says it’s for a drift package and Travis so hopefully it works with yd2 parts.

This car is still a LONG ways away. Still need motor, gyro, receiver, led kit, roll cage, tires, spur hub, spur and pinion, rear wheel lock nuts and probably a bunch of small stuff I don’t even know.

I really don’t want to think about how much is in this car already, and there’s still more to come!

Old 12-22-2020, 04:36 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Yay usps! I had a box supposed to be delivered yesterday for a secret build, and the box I need for this was supposed to be delivered today. Now usps did it again and both are arriving late!!!

Also looking to maybe add a fr-d to the stable

Old 01-02-2021, 09:48 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Still waiting on usps to decide to deliver stuff but I got the body in so I decided to rough cut it and put it on top of the sx2. It’s going to look good!

Old 01-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Oooooh te27?! NICE!!!

Hahaha I keep my zip ties in a beef Jerky jar too lol
Old 01-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Oooooh te27?! NICE!!!

Hahaha I keep my zip ties in a beef Jerky jar too lol

Ha no those zip ties actually came like that from harbor freight.

Once the parts come in progress will unfortunately slow down for a bit as I’m waiting to find the fate of the daily

Old 01-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Default Wrap up next Travis build

Got the vx dock rear suspension on the car but I still need to make the rear camber links. The shock mounts with this rear suspension are quite different than most on road cars, because the shock is mounted to the knuckle instead of the arm. WUN also did a very good job (completely sarcastic) at showing pics of it mounted but I was able to figure it out. I’m planning on using stock yd2 year axles on the car and it looks like I will need to put a spacer on the inside of the axle as the knuckle only uses 1 bearing.

I went to go start on the front but quickly realized I need 3x50mm suspension pins, and also longer screws for the front arms unless I want to wait for the slow boat.

As far as the setup, I’m going with as little toe as possible front and rear on the car.

Pics to come later once I clean off the desk a little bit

Old 01-11-2021, 04:56 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I have pics of the build! It’s not that far along but hey, it’s progressing slowly.

First up is the front end!

Servo is a protek 160ss with a WUN servo horn that is needed for the vx dock. Now I got the chassis with the WUN kondo hd arms already on it but I added the titanium turnbuckle as well as the rod end. The knuckle in the pics are WUN gx knuckles with the complete front axle kit. These knuckles are a little weird

When you get the complete version they come with a faux brake disc made out of carbon that doesn’t look to realistic also for some reason you have to put another piece of carbon on the other side???? Why not just make the knuckle that much thicker?? Also the knuckle and axle set are not cheap parts yet they come with 5x8x1.5 plastic bushings, but after a trip to the lhs for some 5x8x3 bearings and the included spacer and the issue is resolved!

Now onto the rear end. First things first this motor is not staying, the one it’s getting is on its way. When I got the car the rear diff was included in it as well but some time with the instructions to assemble the chassis and google translate, I was able to find out that it is a yokomo drift package part. Anyways the rear arms and knuckle are also interesting. These parts are the WUN vx suspension system v4, and unlike most rc’s the shock actually gets mounted to the knuckle! To show you what I mean:

Now this knuckle also is only designed from what I can tell to use one bearing so I will need to figure out a spacer fit the axle as stock yd2 axles are designed for 2 bearings. Also as far as the arm it should be very easy to adjust the width of the rear by changing out the silver spacers in the arms.

The rear diffuser that’s on it now might stay, I still haven’t decided

The shock tower on the car is the one that WUN designed for there conversions, I was going to get it in red, but I decided to go black as it was cheaper. Anyways the spur gear and hub are right out of the yd2s kit and the factory pinion in that kit is too small. You are supposed to run a WUN spur gear hub but I haven’t found one and this one will for now

Now onto the suspension arms! I picked up low friction suspension pins for this car only to find out I can only use the 3x45 rear pins as this chassis is designed to use 50mm font suspension pins! To fix this issue I picked up a set of tmax pins and will cut them down with a dremel.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice engineering with the rear arm spacers.
I'm waiting to see if anyone comes out with D5 rear arm plates to adjust as they sandwich the inner and outer portion of the rear arms. Could just slot the stocks but they are countersunk soooo.... hmm.

Also kudos for running as little toe as possible.
You see in the pic of my bare D5 chassis it has a metric buttload of rear toe in. Its at the forward mounts built into the main skid... not sure if it can be adjusted out but... meh.
Not a fan :(

Last edited by Shinchu; 01-11-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-12-2021, 09:41 PM   #16
RCC Addict

This is really annoying. The front of this chassis is designed to use a 3x50mm hinge pin to were as the yd2 I’m basing this off of uses 3x42 and 3x45. So the other day I went to the lhs to get 3x50+mm hinge pins. With the plan being to cut them down to length. What I ended up getting are traxxas t max hinge pins. And they don’t work!!

The t max hinge pins measure 3.11mm od were the factory yokomo measure 2.95mm. So a difference of 0.16mm and they don’t fit!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Got the hinge pin issues resolved. I ended up returning the tmax parts and picked up two 2.5mm replacement driver tips and cutting them up. I ended up only needing one so I have a spare in the even I need a replacement!

Anyways with them cut I was able to get the front arms mounted and basically have it set up for the most caster possible. I may take some out of the car and move the rear arms further back to get the wheelbase right. I also picked up 30 and 35mm turnbuckles so I was able to get the links made but unfortunately only had 2 ball studs so I will need to get more tomorrow. Also wile at the lhs, I picked up narrow jconcepts hexs for the rear.

On the rear I noticed my original findings were wrong, these knuckles are designed for a second bearing in the rear, a 10x15x4.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I’m just going to put this here

Old 01-24-2021, 05:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Yes!!!
Looking great man!
I have like 1.5 more vids on my phone I need to edit but I'm at almost the same spot as you now.
Knuckles and rear hubs.
Oh and need to build my shocks.

Anyway yours is looking great! And good work sourcing hinge pins!
I was going to say just bore out your arms lol but thats pretty cringey and where to find drill bit 3.11mm lol
Good work man.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:32 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
I’m just going to put this here

Ha I’m a little farther than the last post. Basically all electronics are in and the body is painted. Once I get the tires I will mount the body.

I got the shocks assembled which are yokomo big bores with 25f/35r shock oil and stock springs. I may need to put in lighter shock oil once it’s done.

After I got the shocks done I figured I’d stump everyone at the lhs. I brought the car into work and showed it to a few people and they all liked it. But once I got to the lhs everyone had no idea what it was. Someone even told me the motor was in the wrong spot! I told them no it’s designed to be in 4 different locations (technically 8, but it’s really only 4 and the others are just opposite). Others looked at the steering and thought it was way over engineered. The guys at the lhs told me I should take it to scale speed in York pa to run it at there drift track. I told them I want to as the chassis was previously owned by an employee there.

Now back to the build, electronics are tekin rsx pro, muchmore fleta zx 10.5t drift motor, yokomo v4 gyro and a ruddog receiver.

Body is also painted, unfortunately the silver didnt come out as well as I would’ve liked and I didn’t realize it until I backed it with white. Anyways the silver used is proline aluminum. The body is proline red with the black on it being proline black, all of it is backed in proline white. I used an Iwata hp-cs airbrush.

The car is in the home stretch but still ALOT left to do. Wile I wait for the tires to come in I will drywall tape and e6000 the body for durability and to protect the paint. Also I will get the soldering done and the roll cage and rear spoiler painted. I still need to make holes in the light buckets before I mount them and figure out how to attach the leds. Basically there’s a ton of small stuff that take a lot of time left

Wrap up next Travis build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrap Up Next Travis RWD DRIFT RC ACTION at Super G LAboy Non Crawler RC's 6 04-09-2018 04:31 PM
UN-Wrap hotrodsoup Paint and Body 2 10-26-2015 06:50 PM
FJ40 Wrap (This is BTF's old FJ he had me wrap) 509 Media Chit Chat 14 12-02-2009 08:56 AM
My new DX3R Wrap addictedtonitro Paint and Body 9 11-25-2009 12:44 PM