Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: My current Go-fast (style) project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2021, 04:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default My current Go-fast (style) project

For anybody that might be interested, I figured I'd start my first build thread. After (a couple days) printing a ford coupe body, it needed a home.
So far its resting on a cut scx10.2 frame and a mix of RC4WD and Tamiya leaf spring parts. Yota2 rear axle, Tamiya semi front axle. The printed engine is for a different build but i needed an idea of where everything would sit, haven't made up my mind on a scale engine yet.

I don't have a ton of work into it yet and being my first scratch build I can't speak for the durability of the final product. I just want a "street" car to cruise around with and look pretty on a trailer behind my Trail King. I also need an excuse too mess around with, I learn with, my 3D printer some more.

Let me know what y'all think.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2021, 11:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My current Go-fast (style) project

I'd flip the chassis front to back, but looks good otherwise. Will it be a rat rod or resto? What wheels are on the rear?
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Dude, looks awesome! Can’t wait to see more!

Old 03-20-2021, 11:35 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
I'd flip the chassis front to back, but looks good otherwise. Will it be a rat rod or resto? What wheels are on the rear?
I thought about installing them the other way around but the straight end of the rails fit better under the rear of the body.

The final product is going to be a rat rod gasser style build. As stated, mostly for looking pretty.

They're DE racing 1.7/2.2 gambler wheels with mini g6t tires
https://www.deracing.net/store/index...for+late+model
https://www.deracing.net/store/index...product_id=754

Old 03-21-2021, 01:22 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Whats kind of printer and filament did you use?
SurlyBurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurlyBurly View Post
Whats kind of printer and filament did you use?
Ender 3-V2 and Geeetech PLA from Amazon

Last edited by smc-93; 03-21-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
haven't made up my mind on a scale engine yet.
It definitely needs a Ford Coyote 5.0. Or maybe even an old carbureted 302. Whatever you do, do not, and I mean DO NOT put an LS in it
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:26 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
It definitely needs a Ford Coyote 5.0. Or maybe even an old carbureted 302. Whatever you do, do not, and I mean DO NOT put an LS in it
An LS would be the lazy way out. There's far to many LS .stl files and far to many 1:1 with LS's. I have a tendency to overdo/overcomplicate things in favor of appearances, so an LS would just be to easy. My main hurdles right now are continuing to dial in my printer so I can do big (several hours) prints without them eventually warping, and finding anything non-LS that can house a motor and relatively simply pair with an RC4WD or SSD scale transmission.

If anybody could design a coyote model (or point me in the direction of an existing one) that can house a motor and mate to a scale transmission, I'd gladly pay for it and run it. As well as represent your work on the finished project with a "sponser" sticker of your choose/design. For now it'll probably just get mocked up to fit the RC4WD big block.

Last edited by smc-93; 03-25-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
An LS would be the lazy way out. There's far to many LS .stl files and far to many 1:1 with LS's. I have a tendency to overdo/overcomplicate things in favor of appearances, so an LS would just be to easy. My main hurdles right now are continuing to dial in my printer so I can do big (several hours) prints without them eventually warping, and finding anything non-LS that can house a motor and relatively simply pair with an RC4WD or SSD scale transmission.

If anybody could design a coyote model (or point me in the direction of an existing one) that can house a motor and mate to a scale transmission, I'd gladly pay for it and run it. As well as represent your work on the finished project with a "sponser" sticker of your choose/design. For now it'll probably just get mocked up to fit the RC4WD big block.

Yeah I hear you. I’m still fine tuning my Ender 3. I am going to be designing/printing a motor for my next build(22R) so if you need any assistance let me know. I may even do a Coyote for you if I get good at the 22R.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yeah I hear you. I’m still fine tuning my Ender 3. I am going to be designing/printing a motor for my next build(22R) so if you need any assistance let me know. I may even do a Coyote for you if I get good at the 22R.

From what I've been reading it seems my warping is mostly due to heating/cooling of the print X print speed. I've been messing around with speed, retraction and temperature since converting to a direct drive.
That would be awesome! I'd be interested to see your 22R when it's finished as well. I have yet to figure out the modeling side of 3D printing, I haven't really had the time to really mess around with it yet.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
From what I've been reading it seems my warping is mostly due to heating/cooling of the print X print speed. I've been messing around with speed, retraction and temperature since converting to a direct drive.
That would be awesome! I'd be interested to see your 22R when it's finished as well. I have yet to figure out the modeling side of 3D printing, I haven't really had the time to really mess around with it yet.

I have a direct drive kit, but have yet to instal it because I am have finally kinda figured out the Bowden setup and I don’t really want to have to do all the fine tuning again

I’m still in the beginning stages of modeling. I am going to make it to where it can bolt directly to the SSD Trail King Transmission. But I can’t get any real progress until my TK and body shows up to see just how big I can go without being too big.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:35 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I have a direct drive kit, but have yet to instal it because I am have finally kinda figured out the Bowden setup and I don’t really want to have to do all the fine tuning again

I’m still in the beginning stages of modeling. I am going to make it to where it can bolt directly to the SSD Trail King Transmission. But I can’t get any real progress until my TK and body shows up to see just how big I can go without being too big.

Are you sure you're not me from an alternate reality? . I more or less got my bowden settings figured out, then switched to direct drive. And currently have a Trail King as one of my finished, probably favorite, trucks. Albeit without a 22R scale engine.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Are you sure you're not me from an alternate reality? . I more or less got my bowden settings figured out, then switched to direct drive. And currently have a Trail King as one of my finished, probably favorite, trucks. Albeit without a 22R scale engine.

Haha. I’ve been eyeing the Trail King and the XtraCab RC4WD body, so I figured why not top the TK with the XtraCab? I could just do a TF2 or an Trailwalker, but everyone does the Trailwalker and I’ve heard the TF2 isn’t the most durable. Got parts coming in for it now, just gotta wait until the TK is in stock

What makes you like the TK so much? I have a TRX4 and an SCX10ii as of now and I would much rather drive the 10ii over the TRX4.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:15 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Kind of feels like the Mojave TF2 body is the LS of hard bodies. I'm partial to the TRC Bronco and XJ myself. One of these days I'm going to need to buy another TK and buy/print a Tacoma body. Solely for the purpose of building (and making the joke) The Taco King

I really enjoy the TK because it's like 10.2 but better. More modern with better R&D into it and tighter QC. Didn't notice any geometry issues like the 10.2 has, everything went together snug but very smooth. The shocks feel nice and plush without feeling too springy (with my setup anyway. Stock TK springs on the front, TRX "white" springs on the rear, 40wt all around iirc), no leak so far. The chassis kind of "floats" on top of the shocks. Gear reduction from the transmission seems to eliminate nearly all torque twist, even on 3s with either a 9t or 11t pinion I don't remember which and a 35t RC4WD motor.
My shock setup combined with the motor/transmission setup and the weight of the XJ hard body give it very realistic driving characteristics. I could go on and on but I don't need to write a novel

Last edited by smc-93; 03-25-2021 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:31 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default My current Go-fast (style) project

Quote:
Kind of feels like the Mojave TF2 body is the LS of hard bodies. I'm partial to the TRC Bronco and XJ myself.

I really enjoy the TK because it's like 10.2 but better. More modern with better R&D into it and tighter QC. Didn't notice any geometry issues like the 10.2 has, everything went together snug but very smooth. The shocks feel nice and plush without feeling too springy (with my setup anyway. Stock TK springs on the front, TRX "white" springs on the rear, 40wt all around iirc), no leak so far. The chassis kind of "floats" on top of the shocks. Gear reduction from the transmission seems to eliminate nearly all torque twist, even on 3s with either a 9t or 11t pinion I don't remember which and a 35t RC4WD motor.
My shock setup combined with the motor/transmission setup and the weight of the XJ hard body give very realistic driving characteristics.
I could go on and on but I don't need to write a novel

Right?! The TF2 is very overused and IMO overpriced compared to the 4Runner/XtraCab since it has no interior, no opening doors/hood/tailgate, and a lot less detail. I’m kind of confused as to why the XtraCab/4runners aren’t as popular.

Shock tuning is going to be fun, especially considering I’ve never done a heavy hardbody build. I’ve always stuck to lightweight lexan bodies. Hell, in my 10ii I run 10wt oil and no springs for a droop setup(GTS shocks). I’ve also thought about going either leafs front and back or leafs rear and linked/coilovers up front. I know that takes away performance, but it’ll be a lot more scale. Plus I’m not going for performance with this one.

Anyways, sorry for the thread hijack!

Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Right?! The TF2 is very overused and IMO overpriced compared to the 4Runner/XtraCab since it has no interior, no opening doors/hood/tailgate, and a lot less detail. I’m kind of confused as to why the XtraCab/4runners aren’t as popular.

Shock tuning is going to be fun, especially considering I’ve never done a heavy hardbody build. I’ve always stuck to lightweight lexan bodies. Hell, in my 10ii I run 10wt oil and no springs for a droop setup(GTS shocks). I’ve also thought about going either leafs front and back or leafs rear and linked/coilovers up front. I know that takes away performance, but it’ll be a lot more scale. Plus I’m not going for performance with this one.

Anyways, sorry for the thread hijack!

My current Go-fast (style) project - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current 1:1 project 1986 GMC JDM74 1:1 Full Size Vehicles 36 05-22-2022 01:40 PM
Current project PFongemie Traxxas TRX-4 20 03-27-2021 01:06 PM
Current project: Rockbull II calvin33 Tamiya Clod Buster 7 02-18-2006 09:36 PM