Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: G-Rob's TT-02

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default G-Rob's TT-02

Got my first kit, and got it (mostly) complete

Upgrades and paint are on the way, I'll update as I add the finishing touches and get this thing on the road! I'm going for less of an icon rally car, and more for a car that looks like something that could be bought and driven daily. While it'll be a part rally/off road car for me, I also have some drift wheels and tires coming, so it'll eventually be double duty. Mostly gonna be a basher honestly...

Stupid cat liked the body...

grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: G-Rob's TT-02

It's not a "body"...it's a "box" for the cat...lol

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #3

Cats are the best!
smokinapankake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
It's not a "body"...it's a "box" for the cat...lol

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Crazy thing is, there were also 2 empty boxes on the bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinapankake View Post
Cats are the best!
I'm more of a dog person I guess
Old 03-29-2021, 06:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

My first upgrade arrived; I bought some clamp-on hexes to do away with the Tamiya mock brake rotors (they look cheesy IMO) and so I don't lose those pesky pins every time I do a wheel change.

The original hubs are 6mm, and I mistakenly bought 7mm. The wheel nuts have a bit less threads to hold onto, but I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll run these hexes until I see a problem, and if they suck for this car I'll buy a set of 6mm and save on these for a future build/another rig.

Old 03-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

The factory bushings had to go... bearings!

I got these on evilbay, brand new, for like 13 bucks

Hopefully I get hardware soon, and I'll be tearing it all back down to build it as they intended (or build it as I see fit)
Old 03-31-2021, 06:11 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The wheel nuts have a bit less threads to hold onto, but I'm sure it'll be fine
as long as there's thread protruding from the lock nut when tighten, it's be ok.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Here's a small update while I wait on the mailman

Here's the batteries I plan to run. I had to clearance the stock battery strap to clear the wires, but they fit awesome. I plan to change the plugs once I start on the electronics.

Also shown is my hex "dillema". The threads are almost to the nylon in the nut, I don't think there'll be much of a problem. Got some different wheels and tires, so this "issue" will probably go away for me...

More later, gonna go mount up these wheels!
Old 04-04-2021, 10:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I was hoping to get my paint Friday so I could start on the body work, but I made some progress anyways

Here you can see my new wheels and tires (EBay specials...) and note the hex issue is looking much better

It's pretty difficult to see, because the camera wasn't focused right, but here's how I clearanced the battery strap. Also worth noting is that I added foam beneath the battery, and beneath the strap to tighten everything up and hopefully keep the battery put a little better

I also installed some random steering from EBay. The blue really isn't my thing, so I might get some oven cleaner after it eventually

I still haven't figured out the front bumper stay. The stock Tamiya one had to go FOR SURE

The stock shocks are a mess! They're pretty crap. I made the mistake of ordering shocks from China, so it'll be a while before I get them in

I started to work on the electronics. Steering will be handled by a cheap Hitec servo I had laying around, and I decided not to run the Tamiya ESC and perk up my old FXR a bit (I want that LiPo cutoff and adjustability!) I need to order a capacitor still, and I might order a new case. The post for one of the motor leads was loose and fell off, so I soldered it to the board instead. I have no idea if this will work, time will tell. I'll be running the stock motor for now

Other things to mention are the Stainless hardware, Bearings throughout, Axial Servo posts, and a Spektrum STX2 Radio
Old 04-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #10

Was gonna get one of these but decided against it, seeing some of these almost makes me regret it.
amheuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Was also thinking about a TT02 after seeing the very instructive videos from Mark Bryan on Youtube but went for an XV-01 ... once you add steering, bearings, shocks and sealed diffs to the TT02, the price difference is not that much.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheuss View Post
Was gonna get one of these but decided against it, seeing some of these almost makes me regret it.
I'm stuck on the fence deciding on if I'll pick one up or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Was also thinking about a TT02 after seeing the very instructive videos from Mark Bryan on Youtube but went for an XV-01 ... once you add steering, bearings, shocks and sealed diffs to the TT02, the price difference is not that much.
Just yesterday I found myself watching his videos

All of the different Tamiya rally chassis can be a bit confusing to a rally newbie

thanks for sharing your build grob23

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 04-08-2021 at 12:52 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I finally got my shock in from China... had the look and the price I wanted, so I'm currently filling those

Also settled on a different motor, going Holmes Hobbies cause I enjoy his stuff a little too much

Mark Bryan has some VERY enticing and informative videos, they were a huge help
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Guy got some new shocks finally

Filled em up with Team Losi 30wt oil, and used the included hardware. Almost completely free of that dang screw head Tamiya hardware. Pretty much only dealing with the rear hinge pins. I'd love to find some stainless button head pins that are nearly identical otherwise...

Also got some parts to install. Thanks to the fine folks at Tekin for shipping me some candy in the package also! Now my fat ass can snack while I fire up the soldering iron

Waiting on one more can of paint before I start on the body. I still haven't got a solid idea for a bumper stay but I have a few ideas rattling around. I ordered a motor, and I'm still not sold on the blue steering
Old 04-28-2021, 07:29 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Plenty has changed, I now have a runner!

I've changed almost all of the electronics. My old FXR was dead, so I had to swap esc's. I finally got a Holmes motor, and I replaced the servo (with the same model I had...)

I made an order to RCMart about a month ago, still haven't seen anything, but it'll have the parts to get this chassis finished up and let me focus more on the body. I have everything I need for the body, even started trimming it up. Kinda dragging my heels and taking my time so it's trimmed good and I get the best finish I can

I'll update with proper photos and info once the rest of my parts show up
Old 05-15-2021, 04:12 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I picked up the TT-02R kit a couple weeks ago. I figured that was the way to go due to all of the included up grade parts. Oil filled shocks, bearings, aluminum shaft, etc etc. I paid $141.00 for the kit. Can't put all of those extra goodies into a TT-02 standard kit for that money. I had motor, esc, and a Futaba radio lying around so the car is already on the road. I would like another but they are now out of stock every where except China. I like it better than my Traxxas 4-tec 2.0.
Atitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

TT-02R is the way to go indeed. Got two of them. One Subaru rally, one Merc tc. For all its simplicity, it’s pretty well behaved, stock oilshocks aren’t really bad, But I prefer the aluminium Yeah Racing ones. Imho a steal @ about €25.- a set. Comes with a plethora of springs and pistons too.

Even with a ( rather ridiculous) 3900Kv 380-rotored brushless and the 3-racing delrin high-speed spurs, it’s quite controllable - amazing, even- compared with the -somewhat klunky- TA-01 and TA-02 I used to actively race in the 90’s. And with that cheap, blue aluminium steering setup, its main ‘flaw’, the sloppy steering, is also fixed, so. Yeah. Good choice overall !

For drifting, I’m not too sure, but as a rally- or street basher it won’t dissapoint. Tip: get the metal balls for the front arms, because the polycarbonate ones wear rather fast.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:24 PM   #18
RCC Addict

RCMart order finally came in! (After 1 month, 3 days of waiting...)

Got a carbon fiber bumper brace cause I hated the stock one so much and my fab skills are horrid

Bought these hinge pins on a hope. I know they're not for this car so I wasn't expecting them to work as good as they did. They're a little long, and they like to move around a bit, but they created no slop and they did away with the hideous phillips-head hinge pins

I also swapped more hardware for stainless button heads

Now for it to stop raining so I can finally paint
Old 05-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, and I like the ebay wheels. Haven't owned a TT02 but a TT01, which looks awfully similar though.
They're tough little chassis and should do well rallying. I ended up chopping mine in half and extended it to fit a HPI Savage 69 challenger body.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #20
RCC Addict

The Ebay wheels fill the void for now. Not sure I want drift tires all the time, is there something more appropriate for running up and down the street?

I plan to swap bodies eventually, there's too many options not to experiment

G-Rob's TT-02 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Rob's Bronco grob23 1.5 Scale Rigs 24 09-13-2012 04:16 PM
G-Rob's Yota grob23 1.9 Scale Rigs 38 05-17-2011 05:47 PM
G-Rob's Axial grob23 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 06-18-2010 05:25 PM
G-Rob's ShaftD grob23 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 16 11-05-2009 02:48 PM
G-Rob's Latest grob23 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 14 01-19-2009 10:35 PM