Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Non Crawler RC's

Notices

Thread: Mojave ii bodied Redcat SixtyFour 90s style mini truck lowrider build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2022, 05:21 AM   #1

Default Mojave ii bodied Redcat SixtyFour 90s style mini truck lowrider build

Current project I’m working on

RC4WD Mojave ii bodied SixtyFour chassis

Did a 4Runner front end swap & made a custom phantom grill out of styrene. Also made a custom camper using styrene cuz I’m not trying to spend $160 on a camper top from the UK.

Bed was chopped to get it low enough for the look I wanted. Filled in the tailgate, body mount holes, door handles & mirror holes for that shaved look.

Swapped in some positive camber c hub knuckles & bought some low pro Redcat wheels for the time being since Jevries True13s are on back order for a couple months.

Modifying another Bluetooth speaker to fit in the bed for some sounds while she hops. Bought an interior but still need to figure out how I’m gonna use it considering how the chassis is setup.

Chassis itself was cut 1” on both sides, front fenders were cut about 3/4”, rear fenders were pretty much completely cut out & the front & rear portions of the chassis were trimmed to fit the body.

Sprayed the body with a whole can of Rustoleum glitter spray paint & cleared with a can & a half of 2x clear. Waiting on paint to cure so I can wet sand smooth & start spraying the DupliColor Metalcast anodized purple paint.

Ordered some KandyNChrome engraved stickers as well as the chrome front upper & lower arms, toe links, steering link, C hub & rear axle. Trailing arms are staying stock & just getting wrapped in engraved stickers.

Still got quite a bit to do, but this is something I’ve wanted to build since I was a kid with a RadioShack lowrider Impala.

Last edited by kANAkSz; 02-23-2022 at 06:40 PM.
kANAkSz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #2

Already have a replacement bumper since the masking tape I used to mock up the front fascia to the body pulled off some of the chrome plating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2022, 10:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mojave ii bodied Redcat SixtyFour 90s style mini truck lowrider build

VERY nice work!

durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 06:43 AM   #4

Default Re: Mojave ii bodied Redcat SixtyFour 90s style mini truck lowrider build

Love it!
ShapeShifter666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Sweet!!!
I'd been wondering when somebody would try to do a Redcat mini-truck.

Love that grille and shaves. Are you going full kandy purple, or going to layout some tape panels first?

Might be able to save some of your chrome with a ''Molotow liquid chrome" pen. It's not quite perfect chrome plated look, but its really good

Not sure what kind of BT speaker setup you're planning, but if it doesn't work might want to check out some build videos from 'VGB Speakers' on youtube. 3w and 2 speakers was enough to get a little 1/14 scale rc Benz thumping

Those old Radioshack lowriders were pretty cool and had a lot of room for upgrades.

Last edited by frizzen; 02-23-2022 at 09:19 AM.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #6

Painted her up last weekend. 6 coats of DupliColor Anodized purple.

Was a little too much purple for me, so I broke up the color with the 64 side engraved stickers from KandyNChrome on the body line & threw some aluminum tape on the bottom portion to add some contrast.

Would have loved to do a lowrider style paint job, but I’m not that skilled. Haha.

Swapped suspension parts to the chrome ones I received & wrapped them in their accompanying engraved stickers. Tonneau cover also came in for when I don’t feel like using the camper cover. Ordered some real steel 13s on 520 tires from 3DScaleParts & the interior for the Mojave just came in today to see what can be done.

Still figuring out what I’m gonna do for lighting. I know the rears are gonna be all red. Might do purple bumper fogs/signals & may or not do a RGB style headlight setup or RGB halos for the jeep crawlers.

https://youtu.be/p1eUs5-rvA0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kANAkSz; 03-03-2022 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 03:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love it!
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That's looking killer!

The purple really works, should pop once it's in direct sunlight!

Since you were already doing a Flake and Kandy paint job, you were already about 75% there. Lowrider panel paint jobs are mostly just tape work once the flake is level. Make lots of narrow tape strips, lay out stripes on body. Shoot some kandy, peel some tape, more kandy, peel tape, more kandy, peel tape...Each time you shoot kandy, it get darker, so last tape peeled is lightest or base color.

Might need a car club plaque to fly in the back?

Can't wait for the next update
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 07:08 PM   #9

This is awesome, great work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
TheMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Mojave ii bodied Redcat SixtyFour 90s style mini truck lowrider build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/10 Scratch Built Honolulu City Drift Bus kANAkSz Non Crawler RC's 20 02-26-2022 07:21 AM